Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 24 MXZ vs 2018 model

aralizadeh

I have a 2015 24 MXZ.  Its had a lot of electrical issues BTW.  Now ready to trade in for new 24 MXZ.  Debating between a 2018 model available with 575 Ford raptor engine or wait to get the 2019 24 MXZ with the PCM engine.  Main objective is want a quieter engine.  The engine on our 2015 model is too loud and hurts your ears after being on the boat for a while.  I did test drive a M235 earlier (has the 575 supercharged engine) and found the engine very quiet compared to the smaller sized Raptor engine or our 2015 model.  Not sure what the new PCM engine will sound like on the 2019 models.  I have been on a Nautique G23 with PCM engine and it was incredibly quiet!  If the new Malibu will have engine that quiet then will place order on 2019 model. 

ahopkins22LSV

I drove a 2019 with the 450 crusader by pcm and it is a much quieter smoother sounding engine imo. Plus the 19 gets more options features, like wireless charging options, power wedge 3, drivers seat, new colors for gel and interior, new power tower option, and more I’m sure I’m forgetting. I’m not sure what the super charger or bigger engine than the 450 will be but the 450 performed great for us at about 1000’ elevation. 

• Like 2

Thank you for your response.  I spoke to my dealer. They feel like the 575 engine on the Raptor is likely still quieter than the new 450 PCM but hard to say without hearing one myself.  I'm curious about the new other features on the 2019 model. Wonder about the powerwedge 3 and the new drivers seat etc...  Any thoughts on these subjects greatly appreciated.

I think the G engine was quieter in part because the engine box is better insulated for sound.  At least I know when I open the engine hatch and the noise erupts, it seems pretty loud.   The other part is that the Raptor engine has gotten a reputation for actually being louder, but I think it is only part of the story.  

Please report back if you get a chance to drive both.  

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I think the G engine was quieter in part because the engine box is better insulated for sound.  At least I know when I open the engine hatch and the noise erupts, it seems pretty loud.   The other part is that the Raptor engine has gotten a reputation for actually being louder, but I think it is only part of the story.  

Please report back if you get a chance to drive both.  

100% my experience.  I don't think the PCM is necessarily quieter.  I think the G is quieter.  

As for the Raptor, taking a "loud" motor and bolting a supercharger on top is not a recipe for "quiet."  In other words, the reason the M235 is quiet is not because of the 575 Raptor vs. a 450 Raptor.  

All the whining you hear about Raptors being loud is really about high RPM's. 

• Raptor + 1.76 tranny + 15" torque prop = high rpm's = LOUD
  • Raptor + 2.1 tranny + 17" non-torque prop = low rpm's = QUIET

This all ties back to that 17" prop.  They don't have to turn as hard (i.e. rpm's) as 15" prop to do the same work (i.e. maintain a given speed). Your old MXZ doesn't have a 17" prop.  The new MXZ does.  Have you demo'd the new MXZ?  It should be just as quiet as that M235 you like since it has the same transmission and prop (unless the M235 has a lot more engine box insulation, which may be the case).  

• Like 3

I did demo a 2018  24MXZ with 450 Raptor a few months ago as well as a M235 with the 575 Raptor.  I also demoed a G23 with PCM this year as well.

In terms of engine noise:  G23 was most quiet.  M235 was also quiet but not as good as the G23.  The 2018 MXZ with the 450 Raptor was annoyingly loud.  

Im assuming a 2018 24 MXZ (which I am considering buying) will be as quiet as the M235 which would be good enough for me.  Or other option is wait for a 2019 24 MXZ and see what the PCM sounds like before make decision.  I'm thinking the 575 raptor might be quieter but who knows...

2 hours ago, aralizadeh said:

I did demo a 2018  24MXZ with 450 Raptor a few months ago as well as a M235 with the 575 Raptor.  I also demoed a G23 with PCM this year as well.

In terms of engine noise:  G23 was most quiet.  M235 was also quiet but not as good as the G23.  The 2018 MXZ with the 450 Raptor was annoyingly loud.  

Im assuming a 2018 24 MXZ (which I am considering buying) will be as quiet as the M235 which would be good enough for me.  Or other option is wait for a 2019 24 MXZ and see what the PCM sounds like before make decision.  I'm thinking the 575 raptor might be quieter but who knows...

Consider tho the pcm gives up a lot of torque to the 575. Even pcms lsa 550 only makes like 490 peak torque at 5400rpms. 

The 575 makes 580 peak torque at 4000rpms. 

3 hours ago, aralizadeh said:

In terms of the wake is the MXZ the best?

1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

:plus1:

2 hours ago, Dfowkes said:

Unless you are getting some incredible deal of the year on the 2018, I would get the 19 with PW3 and all the other new options.

What the are the new features with the pw3? Larger? More levels? Tks

7 hours ago, aralizadeh said:

Meant to say I assume 2018 24 MXZ with the 575 engine will be as quiet as M235 with same engine.

So you think a supercharger makes an otherwise identical engine quieter??

I dunno, man. I just don’t buy it. 

55 minutes ago, IXFE said:

So you think a supercharger makes an otherwise identical engine quieter??

I dunno, man. I just don’t buy it. 

I am with you, no way a supercharger makes an engine quieter!

i heard the supercharged 575 in the M235 and it was significantly quieter.  My dealer suggested it b/c they know I wanted quieter engine than 450.

The 575 and 450 make their peak torque at same rpm. Like 5200,  so it stands to reason with same weight and same settings the 575 would run less rpms to reach the torque to keep the load moving. In essence make it not as loud as the 450 having to work harder and at a higher rpm. 

Each maxed out probably about the same sound.  

3 hours ago, spikew919 said:

The 575 and 450 make their peak torque at same rpm. Like 5200,  so it stands to reason with same weight and same settings the 575 would run less rpms to reach the torque to keep the load moving. In essence make it not as loud as the 450 having to work harder and at a higher rpm. 

Each maxed out probably about the same sound.  

With same transmission and same prop, RPM's will be identical.  The difference is felt is top speed; the 575 won't run out of throttle as quickly as the 450 will.  

I'm like 66.7% confident in that statement :blush:

6 hours ago, IXFE said:

With same transmission and same prop, RPM's will be identical.  The difference is felt is top speed; the 575 won't run out of throttle as quickly as the 450 will.  

You ever had One going 3000 rpms 9mph and you give all throttle goes to 4500 but still only the 9mph. Motor working harder so it’s louder. 

Then  same set up the motor with the bed 100 more hp and torque gets to 9 at 3000  then push it further and it’s going 12 mph at 3500 and quieter.

these are just example numbers 

Does that make sense? 

7 hours ago, IXFE said:

Are you sure the transmissions are the same? Other manufacturers ie. Centurion run different transmission ratios between the super charged and the 450. In 2016 on the 25 LSV the supercharged was 1.5 to 1 and the 450 was 1.75 to 1. This I believe is to similar specs at the prop. The supercharged would of course have higher top end. 

1 hour ago, Dfowkes said:

Are you sure the transmissions are the same? Other manufacturers ie. Centurion run different transmission ratios between the super charged and the 450. In 2016 on the 25 LSV the supercharged was 1.5 to 1 and the 450 was 1.75 to 1. This I believe is to similar specs at the prop. The supercharged would of course have higher top end. 

I’m under the impression that all 17” prop Malibus have the 2:1 tranny. But I could be wrong. 

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

I’m under the impression that all 17” prop Malibus have the 2:1 tranny. But I could be wrong. 

Nope. My 575 25LSV has a 1.76 trans and a 17" prop.