Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3.5 Tower Noise

BBenedict

Hey Guys-  I just recently ordered a 18 23 LSV, I've luckily had minimal issues except there's an awful clicking sound inside the tower  when cruising about 20mph.  I can't seem to track it down, it sounds like a metal on metal noise any time you hit even the smallest wakes in the water.  Has anybody seen or heard of this?  Any thoughts? High frequency chatter on the water makes the noise go crazy!

Thank you

11 hours ago, BBenedict said:

Hey Guys-  I just recently ordered a 18 23 LSV, I've luckily had minimal issues except there's an awful clicking sound inside the tower  when cruising about 20mph.  I can't seem to track it down, it sounds like a metal on metal noise any time you hit even the smallest wakes in the water.  Has anybody seen or heard of this?  Any thoughts? High frequency chatter on the water makes the noise go crazy!

Thank you

What tower?

I've had several of the G3.* towers. I've never heard of that noise. I have had a noise that I thought was the tower but it was the lighted "23LSV' badge on the side of the windshield. It's some sort of plastic and with the right wind or waves it flutters making a rattling noise. May not be exactly what you are experiencing.

There are wires in the tower even if you didn't order a stereo, the wires for the speakers are supposed to be pre-terminated at a plug/hole 2/3 way up the tower and the wires for the anchor light are in there. Depending on what the sound is, it might be the wires bouncing around. I wouldn't suggest pulling them tight, but it's a place to start to troubleshoot.

9 minutes ago, mikeo said:

There are wires in the tower even if you didn't order a stereo, the wires for the speakers are supposed to be pre-terminated at a plug/hole 2/3 way up the tower and the wires for the anchor light are in there. Depending on what the sound is, it might be the wires bouncing around. I wouldn't suggest pulling them tight, but it's a place to start to troubleshoot.

Thank you, I ordered it with 2 sets of rev 10's so i'll do some light pulling on wires and check it out.  I couldn't track down the noise but i'll spend some time this weekend to figure it out 

29 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I've had several of the G3.* towers. I've never heard of that noise. I have had a noise that I thought was the tower but it was the lighted "23LSV' badge on the side of the windshield. It's some sort of plastic and with the right wind or waves it flutters making a rattling noise. May not be exactly what you are experiencing.

That little badge on my last one would make a crazy noise!  I had a 16 LSV before with no noises, the dealer wasn't sure either what could be making the noise.  I Guess it could even be the bimini.  Thought it may be a common noise but I guess not.  thank you

• 1 year later...

Hey,

Information is all ways helpful.  I have a 2017 23 LSV and i believe it is the same tower.  If you look inside the tower tube where it pivots once its folded forward i found two heim joints broken on both sides, plus a but that secures the hex bolt is missing.  

I believe it is the structural damage and what were hearing are these broken hi-em joints rattling against the tower tube.  Pics and video show what i have found.  It looks to me as if they snapped or really poor design construction.  

Would love to hear from others.

I cant insert the image from google drive 

My tower racks make a metal on metal clicking.  It’s the rack against the tower bolted mount. As tight as the tolerance is. There is still some play. I sprinkled some silicone gator grip dust on it and slid them back on. All gone for 3 years now.