Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I broke our 2000 Response LX - advice what to do? fix? sell? fix&sell? walk?

I think you should sell it as is.  To me.  Well, assuming 67Queen would go for it.

If you are going to sell the boat for a more appropriate boat for your family (and honestly, I think that's a better bet since you don't do watersports), I would NOT recommend doing it youself.  Yes you will save some money, but I think that the resell value would be much greater if it were done by a shop.  I'd also consider an independent shop, rather than the dealer.

• Like 3

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Yes, I'm comfortable doing the engine swap if I'm able to get some guidance on what to do.  The first (and only) engine I've pulled was on my '02 Audi S4 with guidance from an Audi enthusiast forum like this one. :)  I probably ended up pulling that engine about a half dozen times.  Pics below.  I'm really only familiar with working on VW/Audi/Porsche, but have done enough work to feel comfortable (timing belt kits, replaced suspension, brake kits, exhausts, turbos, intercoolers, stereo systems, clutches/flywheels, transmissions, alternators, starters, etc. I've swapped entire heads and cams, but never touched valves or pistons/rods)

A concern with the boat, as mentioned here is about the hoist to get it up out of a boat on a trailer.  I could get this and then maybe turn around and sell it as otherwise it would just take up space (or build similar out of wood and be nervous):

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-telescoping-gantry-crane-62510.html

However, then the question becomes one of time.  Last year I built a deck (by myself except for wheelbarrowing concrete into footings) and it took all summer and kept us off the water. I think I used up my wife's patience on that project and this year I should really try to get us out on the water.  If it's one or two weekends to get the boat running, no problem, but if it's a month+ of sourcing parts, not spending time with the family, etc, then that may not go over well.

All that being said, the real dilemma is that this just isn't the right boat for us.  If it was, and with the info and encouragement here, then I agree it would make sense to fix myself and enjoy this.  However a deck boat is more fitting for our desires.  I see a variety for sale near us. Some private party which I could get the best deal on, but also many that are from a local lake rental fleet that were used either 1 or 2 seasons and then they sell (after labor day) and buy new.  That might be a path to get a new-ish boat for a good price.  And here in Raleigh, September is still a great time to be out on the water.  I think I'll stick with an outboard too.

While I might be able to get creative and both fix our current to sell and buy another at the same time, I'm not sure I want that stress either. I also did that last year with cars and have a car still to sell, lol. Oh and I need to sell that car to help pay for the garage under construction that will house the boat, and jet ski (which also isn't running and needs a starter or similar) - way too much going on!

I think maybe I'll try to find a buyer of the boat as is for a reasonable price - what would you recommend I ask for it?  Considering it's worth $14k-ish running, and the estimates here to fix, is it worth $5-7k?  And if that doesn't pan out, then try to fix and sell myself, possibly as a winter project.

Here's some photos of stuff mentioned above.  Thanks for all the feedback, advice, and encouragement!

Mark

Engine pull (at my then-girfriend's (now wife) townhouse while I was living in an apartment :) ) :

Wkqlj7fYYJfLdjl-Tr6NRBo1q-hOJVRb7hZLcPso

From this car, which is still my favorite car to date. I bought new and sold 8.5 years later with 193k miles, looking similar to below (I think below was about 160k miles). 2.7L twin turbo 250hp stock, modified to 450hp street and 550hp for some dragstrip outings:

DSC05560.jpg

Here was last summer's project, just shy of 1000 sq ft. I'm proud to have built it, but it sure took some work :) :

JMUFhn6IQxO0Z-ZzEpgdZao9pmAO1w4jj1PGRh7h

Still have a gazebo to put over the table, add built-in bench seating around the hexadecagon "curve", and trex trim boards to cover the rim band:

1VWDlh8d1A39yPTrWGl_8552vf-WVMrDFaaXECM6

and meanwhile the future shed/boat/jetski garage has begun:

JibIOjfkQSuN2ebbfOKtIoD1CeBEiTSBivP-_GVJ

jetski in need of TLC, with a fresh new cover and trailer:

fNByhuGGJh7sCD20gO17RN0UGw7H3UTF6_RKD7bn

Well the good thing is if you can pull the engine from a VW product, a GM small block will seem like child's play if you do decide to go that route.  Things on the GM are logical unlike the alien tech the Germans put under their hoods.  (voice of a recovering Audi owner here...)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Well the good thing is if you can pull the engine from a VW product, a GM small block will seem like child's play if you do decide to go that route.  Things on the GM are logical unlike the alien tech the Germans put under their hoods.  (voice of a recovering Audi owner here...)

Ha, I completely understand that! Turbos on the S4 are an engine pull while spark plugs are easy. On my 996 911 turbo, turbos are easy while spark plugs are a half day of work that starts with removing the rear taillights lol

1 hour ago, MarkP said:

Ha, I completely understand that! Turbos on the S4 are an engine pull while spark plugs are easy. On my 996 911 turbo, turbos are easy while spark plugs are a half day of work that starts with removing the rear taillights lol

Oh, lord.  I've had 4 Porsches, and I swear the 968 engines were easier to pull then the ^%&$ing turbos on the 944's.  I finally just converted the race car from a turbo to an S because of those &%^$ing things (and I love turbos - currently own 5 and only 3 NA's).

18 hours ago, UWSkier said:

This. If you can pull an Audi motor you have more than enough skills to do this swap.  Hell, if you have a new long block ready you can probably get the whole thing done in a single day if you have everything you need together. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, MarkP said:

jet ski (which also isn't running and needs a starter or similar

Well this one is a no-brainer. Sell the lake lice as quickly as possible!! :biggrin:

if it was me...I’d put it up for sale as is and see if I can get a good price. Use this time to finish other projects and sell car and jet ski. Use the $$ from the car and jet ski to float the purchase of another boat this fall while they are cheaper.  If she sells then all is good. If she doesn’t sell then fix her over the winter and sell her in the spring when she will catch the highest price.

You have too much going on, and it's not a boat that you are going to keep, so sell as is.  Yes, you will lose money, you could fix it for $6k and sell it for $14k, but if I were you I'd cut my losses now and focus on the other stuff that feels good to fix/build and spare some family arguments/pressure.  I would list it for $5k.  And I would hate doing that, but I would know that it's the right call and would be nice not to have it hanging over me as another project fighting for my time.

FWIW -

I had a cracked block this spring on our 383 Hammerhead; I took it to a local engine repair shop (central Wisconsin) after Malibu refused to touch it and got an entire rebuild for $2400.  Might be worth a call to the guy and see what he can do for you... he isn't crazy far away from you.

@UWSkier said it perfectly about being able to do it yourself since you’ve messed with your Audi. I know it’s a different boat but just a couple months ago I rebuilt the borg Warner velvet drive on my parents’ 87 mastercraft tristar 190 and it took me less than 45 minutes to pull the engine and transmission together. If the block is cracked then you for sure know you’ll need a new one and there is a few different routes to go. 

1. Get a short block and take your heads to a local machine shop for surfacing and maybe even a little port and polish work for a little better flow. The head work shouldn’t be more than a few hundred dollars. 

2. Get a long block and all you have to do is bolt up your intake system, exhaust and sensors and the motor is ready to go. 

The long block route is probably the fastest but the short block route will save you a few bucks. If you get the long block you and  a few buddies, make sure they have plenty of beer, could have it done in a weekend. Whatever you do make sure you do a decent break in with a zinc additive or high zinc oil. 

Thanks guys.  Half of you are saying that I could easy take care of it myself and the others are saying I have too much going on.  You're both right :)

If I pick up a deck boat after labor day, and get out on the water in Sept, I think I can still be good with my wife. 

That gets me some slack to... try to sell the Mailbu now for a number I'd be comfortable parting with it (I need to figure out what that is, depending how easy the transaction is, etc), and then if not, fix it myself over the winter and sell in spring. I will be able to have both boats and our cars at the house over the winter, however the next 2 months will be tight with construction ongoing on the new garage.  Since I might not be buying the future boat for a month, I might be okay for Aug, and maybe for Sept I can find a friend's yard to park one.  The Malibu is still at the dealership now while I figure out what I'm doing.  As for a number on the boat, if it's worth $14k fixed, and might cost around $4k to fix, it theoretically could be worth as much as $10k.  If I could get $7k now, I think I'd have to go that route.  If I could only get $5k, I think I'd keep it and fix myself.  Is that rational?

And also get the Jetski running.

And move the hitch from one Q5 to the other.

And sell the white Q5

And build (put together) the gazebo on the deck, and build bench seating, after the garage is finished.

I'm a picture person (I need to get some better pics of the boat), so here are a few others...

Here's what's need to change spark plugs on the 996 911 Turbo:

IsSTqVs6XNizdkr3Jf45Ql99o4RciA0bWHYpDoos

Here are the 5 cars we ended up with last year after I bought 2 in one day (long story :) & my wife's a saint).  The only modification I did myself on any of these was new suspension on the TTRS (stock 360hp 2.5L 5-cyl turbo engine, fyi).  My buddy's shop modified the S5 with a tune, pulley, & cooling system (it already had exhaust) on the Supercharged 3.0L, raising from 333hp to 460hp.  The other 3 (Q5s & A7) are TDI diesels with 430 ft-lbs unmolested and thoroughly enjoyed.  I've since sold the TTRS and the white Q5 is next, keeping the others:

5cars_front_sm.jpg

Here are the two I bought on the same day. I flew from NC to Boston, dealership #1 in NH picked me up, bought the A7, then drove that to dealership #2 in MA, bought the S5, drove one to CT (where I grew up), and came back with a buddy to pick up the other.  Drove the A7 back to NC while the S5 got modified, then flew up a week later for the S5 and drove back.  Craziness. 

purchase1.jpg

purchase.jpg

purchase2.jpg

The first time I pulled the engine (in a deep, but single width garage):

yPsiX7TGA8T2OC5tTl0My1u-of_55UrSfAgrE0BI

which was also the furthest I went into an engine:

hR7vgl1Nyh62kEGiSNX694bkiTe2CKz3oap-kdb8

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MarkP said:

Here are the two I bought on the same day. I flew from NC to Boston, dealership #1 in NH picked me up, bought the A7, then drove that to dealership #2 in MA, bought the S5, drove one to CT (where I grew up), and came back with a buddy to pick up the other.  Drove the A7 back to NC while the S5 got modified, then flew up a week later for the S5 and drove back.  Craziness. 

purchase1.jpg

Hey...that's where my wife bought her Q5.  Switching out an inboard is easier than changing the oil in that thing :lol: (almost).

I’m with @Michigan boarder

All deck boats are underpowered, ugly, and “splashy”. Surfing is the new deal and most likely what your kids will want to do (and their friends too). I’d try for a v-drive.

if you don’t go v-drive I’d look at a tri toon.

Edited by braindamage

Ok, after some deep thought on this, here is my plan:

for_sale_sign.gif

- List the Malibu up for sale on this site as is for $7k. (I guess I should also post on Craigslist or Boat Trader, but I really don't want to. Let me know if any other good website suggestions)

- If it sells, great.  I'll be happy it goes to an enthusiast who can fix and enjoy it to its fullest.  I'll lose some $ overall, but will be ok to not have that project with all my others, and not have to worry about parking two boats.

- This month I'll (testdrive and if appropriate for our needs) buy a deck boat soon and enjoy this season back out on the water.

- If the Malibu doesn't sell by mid-fall, I'll buy a Gantry Crane (this 1000lb one at Walmart is $429 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Titan-Adjustable-Gantry-Crane-1000-lb-Capacity/566286084, and Harbor Freight 2000lb one goes on sale for $600ish) and pull the engine over the winter and fix and sell boat in spring, likely asking $14k if all goes well.  Hopefully it will be able to sell and not sit on 2 boats.

So if you or anyone you know might be interested in the Malibu as is for $7k, let me know (PM or markinraleigh at gmail dot com).  Sometime soon I'll pick it up from the Malibu dealership and clean it up all shiny and snap new photos before I post in classifieds.  I like to put good effort to make sure the photos reflect the vehicle well, though I'd just assume make a deal before I go through that if someone is interested.  Here are some examples of photos I've taken for cars I've sold:

http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/ttrs/ttrsforsale/

http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/a3/

http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/996tt/

http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/s4/s4forsale/

http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/tiguan/

Regards,

Mark

PS - also found one photo of my mom skiing in her 60's:

uUJJgJhwQyO8j-U4Q7fQqd-dRC8zvKduQbc4f9KD

Edited by MarkP
1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

I'd throw it up on ski-it-again.com under the Boats-3Event section also and possibly also on onlyinboards.com

Thanks! I edited post to ask for other good website suggestions to sell it on, as I'm not familiar.  Thank you.

• 3 months later...

Well, I finally got around to cleaning/photographing and put the boat in the classifieds.  See below for link.  We also picked up a deck boat after Labor Day and that's suiting us well.  Thanks for all of the prior advice and feedback.

Regards,

Mark

10 hours ago, Chaabo said:

Wow, now that’s a proper ad!

Very nice looking boat, good luck with the sale!

Thanks, and just like that, it's sold and gone! Bittersweet but happy for quick sale and regained a garage bay.

• Like 2