Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I broke our 2000 Response LX - advice what to do? fix? sell? fix&sell? walk?

I broke our 2000 Response LX - advice what to do?

I'm embarrassed and kicking myself.  With a false sense of security in a "warmer climate" in Raleigh NC , I didn't winterize our boat engine and it froze. We had built a new house with a garage to fit the boat inside, yet it spent the winter outside as the garage was full of shed stuff for a shed I hadn't built yet.  I brought it in to the Malibu dealer to get the impeller replaced, all new fluids, etc to get it out this summer only for them to find leaks after doing that work.  The freeze-out plugs under the exhaust manifolds were out.  I had them remove the manifolds, replace the plugs to see where that would get us knowing there's likely more issues.  In the process they found the exhaust manifolds are cracked. Put it back together and still leaking from rear/under where they can't get to.  They quoted a new engine around $5k, plus exhaust manifolds $1400, labor, etc came to nearly $10k.  It seems like the boat may only be worth a few thousand as is, and only to the right buyer that has a motor to go in, or fix it themselves.  If I put money into an engine, it'll probably won't be worth much more than the sum of the boat and engine.  If this was exactly the boat I wanted into the future, it would be an easy decision as for $10k into motor this is an awesome boat.  Even for closer to $15k for someone else to buy it complete, it's a great value.  But we had also been discussing a different boat as our needs/desires are focused around taking our family and another out for a casual ride, swimming, etc and we're looking more towards a deck boat for a focus on openness/seating.

Overall (otherwise) the boat's in great condition.  Just had the trailer serviced a year ago with new brakes, bearings, lights, tires, etc.  I was planning to replace the speakers, the trailer post guide covers, and the fuel gauge float this year, otherwise all good.

So based on all of that, what advice do you have?

Here's the boat in question.  It was my mother's boat who water skied her whole life until she tore her rotator cuff at age 68 while water skiing.  She then gave it to us (which makes this all that much worse).  I don't ski or wakeboard (though I do snowboard), and have never even been pulled behind this boat on anything, though ironically earlier this spring I did buy a tube just for that purpose.

4qWxzlNkxvXVawKi3V384_67eeeqlMlGfYSy3fzH

HdEtucDri6KYU8gxjpl_rYT1zJl-XljJQxlgz_OW

N4JtjNPkf76CJ5V9N4wjEbaYQWH0SKLMEqIn3AOQ

_joVZHAHddTrVhrnHRuCVUTt2OP3YUcaQv6iCKlC

puE1CEjiIFvGarm22LOxdbrPMnOECKWVsbM3kNlr

cAEAPg_2-5bFsObShUOkDd3GFsslNdE_SvLbDk_w

RPgmHxEMr0ZCHOCRxk4G2MEaXp043pX8NW8k51EY

Q1J871zrWba4VjAmE5vaLt6_PkqzdwjEO3gSI536

j3Hsr1XHCpc1H_v61f5H6hr6j9DtAQR-w5xU3NNW

a5jN7C1L2E4HhV1V79IdjZ_Z1HvXMxCkeXsvHVwX

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by MarkP

Unfortunately isnt worth much to most people needing an engine.  Id bite the bullet and pay the 10k, or get some friends and tools and diy for 6-7k.  It'll be easier to sell as a working boat.  As a project people are also going to discount based on the transmission and electronics they cant test. 

Edited by oldjeep

Big bummer.

$5k is way to steep for an engine in a boat that old.  Find a reputable mechanic that can pull the motor and put in a GM crate motor (assuming its a Merc engine). Doesn't have to be a dealer or even a boat shop - any competent auto mechanic can do the job.  Source the manifolds and other items yourself, aftermarket or used.  Get it put back together and running.  Store it (winterized!) until summer starts and the prices are up and sell it.  Buy the boat of your dreams.

After you do the repairs, you may find a good trade at a boat show over the winter.

Again - sorry to hear of your ordeal.  Could happen to any of us.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, kylesullens said:

Big bummer.

$5k is way to steep for an engine in a boat that old.  Find a reputable mechanic that can pull the motor and put in a GM crate motor (assuming its a Merc engine). Doesn't have to be a dealer or even a boat shop - any competent auto mechanic can do the job.  Source the manifolds and other items yourself, aftermarket or used.  Get it put back together and running.  Store it (winterized!) until summer starts and the prices are up and sell it.  Buy the boat of your dreams.

After you do the repairs, you may find a good trade at a boat show over the winter.

Again - sorry to hear of your ordeal.  Could happen to any of us.

A crate 5.7 marine long block is around 5k

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 3

My motor also got trashed with this past Raleigh winter, although I thought I winterized it well enough.  Engine replacement w/ new exhaust risers was quoted around $8k.  Ended up being closer to 9 due to some other issues that were found and addressed.

My advice would be to sell it as is.  If you put the 8-10K into it to get it running, I doubt you'd get that back out when you go to sell anyway.  You said you don't ski behind it anyway.  I'd sell it cheap and put the money towards a decent used runabout if all you want to do is get out on the water occasionally.    

Time to get your hands dirty and swap the engine.  Can get a long block and risers for under 5k.  Now need to find some gear head friends that can give you a hand (bring beer).  Should be less than a weekend project on a DD.  Then sell it, if it not what you will really use or take a huge hit on selling it as is.  

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/350ci-vortec-base-marine-engine-1996-current-replacement-p-109.html

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Time to get your hands dirty and swap the engine.  Can get a long block and risers for under 5k.  Now need to find some gear head friends that can give you a hand (bring beer).  Should be less than a weekend project on a DD.  Then sell it, if it not what you will really use or take a huge hit on selling it as is.  

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/350ci-vortec-base-marine-engine-1996-current-replacement-p-109.html

Exactly.  Swapping out the motor is very straightforward, and doesn't take long.  The toughest part is figuring out a way to hoist up the engine and move it around.

That is a great looking boat!

I don’t understand why people are saying it isn’t worth it to fix it? You could get good money for it needing a motor still.  Thats a pretty desirable year boat with the open bow.  If my current boat sold i would definitely be trying to work out a deal.   If you have an interest in selling it as is with a number let me know please. I’ll see what i can do. 

27 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

100% agree... or with @kylesullens... marine long block ~2800... risers shop use or skidim.. upwards of 1400 as in your post can find cheaper... If you want to take on the project (it is easier than you think)

1. disconnect prop shaft
  2. disconnect fuel lines
  3. disconnect can bus 
  4. disconnect battery + on block (alternator) and ground wires
  5. remove motor mount bolts and transmission mount bolts
  6. lift engine and transmission out
  7. remove transmission from old engine
  8. remove intake, valve covers, oil pan from old engine
  9. install parts in step 8 onto new engine (probably will have to install new sump and oil pump also but they are generally provided with the long block)
  10. attach engine to transmission
  11. work backwards from 5 to 1
  12. Have fun :)

Or find a local mechanic... You can go even cheaper with a donor engine from junkyard... change freeze plugs to brass, replace cam with an RV cam, put your oil pan and intake on it... 

• Like 3

Seeing as you got the boat as a gift you could invest a bit and have a great condition boat that would fit your needs as a run about and then some.

Quick look online used 2000\2001 Response LX for sale easily $14k+ asking price.  The value of the boat is more than just the cost of a motor.  Ultimately your decision but looks like the boat may have some sentimental value as well having been your mothers.  Put a new engine in, proper care and the Response LXe should last you for years to come.  

If you want to keep on boating I would get it fixed.  If boating is not a priority or activity you plan to do often then sell it.  Either fix and sell or sell as is less the cost of motor replacement.  Good luck with your decision.   My 2 cents.  

• Like 2

Are you a DIY type of person?  Could you see yourself doing a quick brake job on a car?  If not, swapping the engine yourself is probably not a good idea.  It sounds like this boat is not really your thing, so why put all the labor into fixing it if you really would be better suited with a deck boat.  So I say sell it as is, without tearing anything down any further so that a buyer knows what they have to start with.  The rest of the boat looks beautiful, so it should still be a quick sell, and put that money down on the boat that you really want.  Hopefully you'll sell it to a buyer that is really excited about a family boat project and skis, wakeboards, etc. and will take care of it, then the legacy sort of lives on.

• Like 2

@MarkP:  Are you willing to invest some time and effort in to fixing it?  If yes, looking at the big $ hitters, you can source some used exhaust manifolds, I am sure there are some around and I have a set sitting in my shop as an example.  They would go for less than 50% of what you were quoted.  You can go either the short block or long block replacement route depending on damage to existing engine, all the ancillaries should transfer over.  You can find numerous GM options from a whole host of vendors.  As for labor, maybe the local H.S shop class would be an option if such a thing still exists.  If you are not willing, I would sell as is since the time and $ of what you have been quoted will simply put you in the hole.  Gorgeous boat BTW, looks to be in flawless shape.  It is a fantastic ski and barefoot machine.  If mine, it would be fixed in a heartbeat.

See the smiles on those Kids faces !!! you cant put a price on that. There is no better way to spend time with the Family then on the water. Fix theBoat and enjoy Memories for a lifetime. They will never forget it. 

51 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Sell it to someone who will fix it, use it and love it.

Steve B.

Agree 100% - that boat needs to be skied behind regularly or it will be sad. 

• Like 3

If your not going to fix it you might look to see if you have any collage ski teams that might look at it. Ether a good deal or a tax wright off. As said its just to good to not go back into skiing and being loved.

• Like 3

I've never done a motor swap on a direct drive, but I'd have to imagine it is a fairly easy swap.  

10k sounds high IMO, but I'd be shopping around for a motor and doing my own labor.  The bigger question is how is your 68 year old mother slalom skiing behind it yet you can't get your arse behind the boat?

• Like 3