Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water coming in the boat

I have a 2007  23LSV.  The last few times I have taken it out, there was water in the bilge, hatch right in front of the  transmission panel.  It is not enough to cause the auto bilge to come on, but when I turn the bilge pump on it runs for about 3 minutes before getting all the water out.  A couple times this has happened without doing much water sports or swimming, therefore it is not only from wet people in the boat.  Boat is in a boathouse, so it is not water coming through the cover.  Last time I lifted the boat up, water dripped off the boat and sling (I have a sling right in front of where the shaft enters the boat) for about two or three minutes after it was out of the water

does this sound like the shaft packing is failing and letting water in. If not any other ideas

i had bags installed a couple years ago with underwater intakes, but  I have not noticed water drips around them, so I don't think it is them.

any advice would be helpful, hopefully I can limp through this season and get it looked at this off season.

What is the drop rate off the shaft packing when underway at idle?  If you have water draining out at the shaft on the lift that's probably the problem.  Maybe you just have to tighten the nut a bit - or replace the packing.

Guess it depends - does a 2007 have a dripless seal or the old rope packing?  If you have the dripless seal then it is normal for there to be water draining out the shaft for a few minutes as the trans cooler drains through the shaft seal - It'll be hot water.

• Like 2

My 2007 had the old rope packing which I believe all had unless upgraded to drip-less.  I just got it replaced a few weeks ago.  Before I replaced it there was about 1 to 2 drops per second as opposed to what is recommended of 1 to 2 drops every 10 seconds?

On 7/25/2018 at 8:19 AM, oldjeep said:

Guess it depends - does a 2007 have a dripless seal or the old rope packing?  If you have the dripless seal then it is normal for there to be water draining out the shaft for a few minutes as the trans cooler drains through the shaft seal - It'll be hot water.

I was just about to ask about this. I have a 2013 VTX that I am still seeing/learning new things about, and this was a concern of mine when I pulled it out this past weekend. I was questioning whether it was water coming down off the rest of the hull and "aggregating" at the shaft, but it seemed like waaaay too much. Thanks for the post!

Once again... the amount of good information on this sit is almost silly.

So a little update, kind of.  I am not sure what packing is on ththe boat and not sure how to check the drop rate while underway.  A brief description of what to do and I can check that, I am assuming i take the floor panel off and monitor the shaft while underway???

i believe this is happening mostly when we surf.  Is it possible all this water is coming in from when I have to stop with the large wave behind me and water hits the back of the boat?  I don't suddenly stop, I try to follow the Crews standard method of picking up a fallen surfer, but I may stop a little more quickly on busy days.

any thoughts?

8 hours ago, Jdubb16 said:

So a little update, kind of.  I am not sure what packing is on ththe boat and not sure how to check the drop rate while underway.  A brief description of what to do and I can check that, I am assuming i take the floor panel off and monitor the shaft while underway???

i believe this is happening mostly when we surf.  Is it possible all this water is coming in from when I have to stop with the large wave behind me and water hits the back of the boat?  I don't suddenly stop, I try to follow the Crews standard method of picking up a fallen surfer, but I may stop a little more quickly on busy days.

any thoughts?

Lift up the center rear seat and look at the shaft that goes from the v drive and out through the bottom of the boat. My guess is you have the gfo packing. You will see two large brass nuts on the shaft. Your packing is in there.  When you're on the water next time, have someone drive the boat at idle speed and look down at those nuts. You should see water dripping into the hull. Ideally, you want to see a drip rate of about one drop per 10 seconds. With packing nut wrenches, you can tighten or loosen the nuts to adjust. If tightening the nuts does not reduce the drip rate, you probably need to replace the rope packing. See the resources section for a step by step on how to change the packing. 

Also if it is dripping excessively you don't even need to be underway.  Just lift out the center rear seat as @isellacuras stated and look under the v-drive to see shaft.  If it's bad like mine was you will see constant drops of water.  I chose to replace instead of tighten because the boat being 11 years old is probably due to be replaced.

Is your swim platform bolts tight?   Im about halfway through the process of getting to mine and tightening them in my 06 23 XTI which has been an absolute pain in the butt.    My bolts were loose and were leaking pretty severely.    I had to basically take the complete rear of the boat apart from the seats down and pull the fuel tank out.  

I will check all these out.  I had to get a new swim platform last year and I did the install so I will check those bolts as well.  Thanks for the help.

yes, swim lockers had water in them

thanks