Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Insulate Storage Tubs?

JeffC

Has anyone tried to insulate the tubs under the rear seats?   Im referring to these:

604693cdd7c72a96d64f890c238a12be.jpg

When we have a day with a lot of people, I have been known to fill these with drinks and ice.   Very convenient when we are in a cove swimming.    BUT... because they are exposed to the heat of the engine, ice wont last very long (read that MAYBE an hour).   Ive been thinking of trying to insulate them a bit, or maybe find a small cooler that might fit in the bigger end of it.   Has anyone else tried this?   What else do you use them for?

I dont know if something like this would hold up.. https://www.lowes.com/pd/DAP-DRAFTSTOP-812-26-fl-oz-Spray-Foam-Insulation/999986126   Perhaps spray it on, then trim it away from where it seats to the fiberglass seat frame?   Might get pretty beat up when taking the tub out to empty it...

No not look at that for cooler.  Store dock lines, other stuff in there.   If you insulate then they would be hard to remove for engine maintenance access.  

I use mine as trash cans easy access . Drilled drain holes in mine otherwise they get moldy from water.. don't think insulation will buy u much more time and u won't be able to remove them. If u add insulation to inside there won't be any storage left... I use mine for rope storage and empty can storage. Installed shower and switch in one side and the tub is screwed in with gas spring shock which I love, about to add gas shock to other side as well so I can keep it up when accessing and as well prop up for airing out when away.  

Long story short in my opinion if you're using these as coolers you better drink fas!

We use those bins for all of our Ropes.  I think it would be tough to make them insulated enough to keep ice and beverages cold.

If you are looking for more cold storage we ended up picking up another AO 48 cooler for the other side (port) of the boat under the flip up bench seat.  We now have two of them (one of port side and one on starboard side) and they both hold enough for us to get through the day with cold drinks and food.  We also use frozen water bottles for ice, you can re-use them and they seem to last longer than actual ice with a lot less mess.

https://www.amazon.com/AO-Coolers-Water-Resistant-High-Density-Insulation/dp/B00329NRH4/ref=sr_1_3?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1532614213&sr=8-3&keywords=AO+48+pack+cooler&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011