Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 Malibu XTi surf wake

JBs

Need help please.

I have a 2005 Malibu Wakesetter XTi. Need help figuring out how to get a wake that can be surfed on without a rope. So far this is what I have tried. Ski locker ballast full, 750 ballast in bow, 500 ballast in rear on floor, 450 ballast on top of rear seat, ronix eight 3 XL surf shaper, and  tired both with wedge up and wedge down. I get a wake but nothing that can be surfed on. Only surfable spot is almost on top of the swim deck. Super frustrating. Could really use some XTi expertise help here.

Thanks JB 

It can be done!  I have a 2005 Sunsetter XTI and we surf quite a bit.  Mine had no ballast at all.  We actually use the ski locker for... skis!  We are skiers but surfing is alot of fun when it's too rough to ski.  We only use an integrated bow sack and a rear seat sack.  I feed both with a Johnson reversible pump going to a Bosworth Y-valve. I fill the bow bag first and then flip the Y valve to fill the rear sack. I store the sack in the gunnel and then just roll it out and fill it for surfing. The bow bag helps the ski wake too, makes the wake flatter.  The rear sack is a Fly High W705 and the bow sack is a W711. We use the wedge down and perfect pass somewhere around 11.  It sounds like you are not listing but weighting evenly for your wake shaper?  I made a shaper and never had that much success with it.  The wave looked really good but had no push.  Our listed wave was better.  Keep your bow weight to lengthen the wave, put your sacks on the side you want to surf on and you should have a decent wave.

• 3 months later...
On 7/25/2018 at 12:14 AM, JBs said:

Need help please.

I have a 2005 Malibu Wakesetter XTi. Need help figuring out how to get a wake that can be surfed on without a rope. So far this is what I have tried. Ski locker ballast full, 750 ballast in bow, 500 ballast in rear on floor, 450 ballast on top of rear seat, ronix eight 3 XL surf shaper, and  tired both with wedge up and wedge down. I get a wake but nothing that can be surfed on. Only surfable spot is almost on top of the swim deck. Super frustrating. Could really use some XTi expertise help here.

Thanks JB 

just found your thread. we had our first season with a used 21 xti from 2004. i think we get a pretty good wave for a direct drive. you might be to front heavy. we have the motor in the middle so there is allready some weight more in the front and missing in the back (compared to vdrive boats). i fill the ski locker ballast halfway, one sac with 300 litres under the rear seat on the right, one sac with 120 litres on top of the rear right seat, one sac with about 400 litres on the rear left (i removed this seat out of the boat) and another 120 on top of this one. i also use a diy suckgate wakeshaper and we put down the manual wedge. with this setup we can get a good surfable wave with just the driver and the surfer.

34332748xs.jpg

• 1 month later...

I really love the Swell wakeshaper.  Cost about $250.   I expected a small difference in wake and was very surprised at how much if a difference it actually made.  Once you have some weight in the boat, it really transforms the deeper wake into a surfable wave.  Its cliche, but it (or something similar) really is a gamechanger and a necessity for your goals.