Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer failure - is used an option?

REHinH20

OK, so coming back from my most recent big lake trip of the year, I lost a bearing on the trailer (Dorsey for 2006 VLX).  Slight damage to the spindle, and since Dorsey isn't around to find parts, I'm looking at $2k to replace both axles.  New Boatmate is going to be around$6k.  Is there an aftermarket for used trailers out there somewhere I've never heard of?  Any legitimate thoughts on my dilemma?

Why the need to replace both axles. Do they not have serviceable spindles, etc? Most of these trailer do no use proprietary parts. You may just find a tag on the axle from the actual manufacturer.  

9 minutes ago, REHinH20 said:

The Dorsey used  a 2 inch drop - can't find any that have that any longer.  The problem with Dorsey going out of business.

Take it to trailer shop and have them replace spindle. 

It's the trailer shop that is telling me they have looked through all their suppliers and can't find that part.  That Dorsey manufactured their own, and the part doesn't exist any longer.

14 minutes ago, REHinH20 said:

It's the trailer shop that is telling me they have looked through all their suppliers and can't find that part.  That Dorsey manufactured their own, and the part doesn't exist any longer.

Guess it is possible, but id try another shop before replacing both axles.  Maybe post some pictures. 

That's the problem, was 4 hours from home when it happened.  Ive checked with my local trailer supplies guy, whom I know and trust, and he's confirmed he cannot get a drop spindle any longer.  I even had him compare prices to make sure I'm getting the axles at a good deal, and he's agreed that it is!  SO my only other option the way I see it is to find another trailer.  I'm guessing by the responses here waiting for one to appear on crankyape is about only chance for used??

21 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Guess it is possible, but id try another shop before replacing both axles.  Maybe post some pictures. 

renhinh20 post some pics. oldjeep can find all kinds of things that were once thought extinct. 

46 minutes ago, REHinH20 said:

That's the problem, was 4 hours from home when it happened.  Ive checked with my local trailer supplies guy, whom I know and trust, and he's confirmed he cannot get a drop spindle any longer.  I even had him compare prices to make sure I'm getting the axles at a good deal, and he's agreed that it is!  SO my only other option the way I see it is to find another trailer.  I'm guessing by the responses here waiting for one to appear on crankyape is about only chance for used??

Search Craigslist.  Otherwise phoenix makes more budget friendly trailers. 

Then sell your trailer, someone will find a way to fix it. 

Part number 014-123384 - This is a pretty common 2.38" drop spindle, how sure are you that it is exactly 2" drop?

Dimensions are in the chart here:

http://approducts.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=48_58

$30

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AP-Products-RV-Sprung-Axle-Spindle-014-123384-/282254012871?hash=item41b7a671c7

Edited by oldjeep
46 minutes ago, REHinH20 said:

3 or 4 months ago on craigslist they had an awesome boatmate in like new condition looked like it was painted galvsnized exactly like mine

It was posted in the Craigslist thread

it's 89", and had drum brakes on each axle.  Trying to get exact specs, but again, since it's 4 hours away at a trailer shop, It's a little difficult to get info.

2k for new axles???? 
Who is doing the work? Is it by chance stuck in okc? I saw a bu sitting on a dorsey trailer when I was getting my axles and the trailer shop. 

I had a pothole kill a hub and spindle so swapped to a 4" drop and axle flip. I want to say I had around $200 in each axle, nearly $300 in all new brakes, and then maybe <$50 in random hardware I replaced.

So someone is taking you to the cleaners even going to torsion axles and doing new brakes on both axles wouldn't be 2k. 

I would call dexter axles. I know they make a 4" and 6" may ask if they can get a 2". 

There isn't a trailer company around that is making their own axles or spindles.  These are all off-the-shelf parts.  I get that it might be uncommon -- but someone local to where it is can either machine the current axle to work with different bearings or can offer a replacement axle/hub combo that should solve your problems for much cheaper.  Sounds like someone realizes you are up s***-creek and is offering you a VERY overpriced paddle.

• Like 2