Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 VTX Starting Issues

I have a 2014 VTX with 180 hrs and have had starting issues the last 2 weekends on the water.  After boat has been running for 3-4 riders, if I turn off the boat it will not restart no clicking, nothing.  It seems that if I run the blower for sometime it will then start off the maliview screen engine start.  I have also tried the key to start with no success.  This past weekend I had the same issue however this was while launching the boat, frustrating as you have no start and have to handle the boat of the trailer with no power.  I have checked all connections, fuses and everything is in order.  Help I just want to surf.

I experienced a similar issue last year.  Same model and year, same symptoms, except in my case the problem also seemingly randomly pulled the boat out of gear under power.   In my case it ended up being a Neutral safety switch failure in the throttle control unit.  I had the boat at the dealer about 4 times in a month, the boat never threw a fault code and the electronics never failed to function, so i knew it wasn't an electrical issue.  

The turning point for me in diagnosing the issue was that the boat wouldn't allow me to bypass the ignition through the solenoid.  The engine would crank but it would never turn over.  

Not sure this is your issue but it may be worth checking out.  Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks- fortunately we have not had any issues the last 4 time we have been out as far as starting, however we have witnessed the boat randomly cutting out.  We will have a rider on and then all the sudden it is like you hit the throttle and the boat comes to a stop and then try's to restart.  something is going on, but will have at the dealer soon as our summer weekends will be cut short with kids in school and cooler temps.

• 1 year later...

Batteries seem ok because radio wedgesurfgate  bilge blower all work perfectly when boat eventually starts   No voltage problems that I know of 

I’ve checked as many connections as possible am running out of ideas 

still hinting towards the touch screen but a fairly expensive guess if it doesn’t work  anyone got any ideas if you can bypass touch screen to start engine 

3 hours ago, Craighymus said:

Batteries seem ok because radio wedgesurfgate  bilge blower all work perfectly when boat eventually starts   No voltage problems that I know of 

I’ve checked as many connections as possible am running out of ideas 

still hinting towards the touch screen but a fairly expensive guess if it doesn’t work  anyone got any ideas if you can bypass touch screen to start engine 

There is a key start by the breakers under the throttle.   How have you determined that batteries are ok? Once the boat starts the alternator is providing the power to run stuff. 

there is a "no start troubleshooting" document on the resources tab that may serve as a starting point.

i'm NOT up to speed on newer rig's ignition systems but wondering if it's the ignition control module (icm - is located under / within the distributor cap.

does a 2014 even have a distributor or is it direct ignition?

11 minutes ago, tvano said:

there is a "no start troubleshooting" document on the resources tab that may serve as a starting point.

i'm NOT up to speed on newer rig's ignition systems but wondering if it's the ignition control module (icm - is located under / within the distributor cap.

does a 2014 even have a distributor or is it direct ignition?

2014 has hvs ignition.  Its just a big distributor cap with external coil.