Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie Hull question

JohnnyBravo

I found the non-diamond would spin better, because the diamond has a downturn lip on the outer edge of the hull for lift. This lip seems to catch the water on a spin. The diamond would still spin, but not as good as the non-diamond.

YMMV.

Dang, wrong again. Strike 3. Does a diamond hull do anything better besides make a soft slolom wake?

360 with your swampster eh? I can't get much more than about 220 out of my RLx at 45mph. They guy I bought it from said he could do 360's but not with more than one passenger (in the front).

Do spins go better to starbord or port? I can get good ones both ways but they are inconsistent enough that it is hard to tell. I'm thinking whats left of prop rotation half way thru might make a difference.

Also, does anyone know if they are hard on the strutt or drive shaft?

Whats the Gorilla fin? I have three fins and I think two were standard equipment on the 2000 RLx. Is the groilla that third one or is it an even bigger fin?

Dang, wrong again. Strike 3. Does a diamond hull do anything better besides make a soft slolom wake?

360 with your swampster eh? I can't get much more than about 220 out of my RLx at 45mph. They guy I bought it from said he could do 360's but not with more than one passenger (in the front).

Do spins go better to starbord or port? I can get good ones both ways but they are inconsistent enough that it is hard to tell. I'm thinking whats left of prop rotation half way thru might make a difference.

Also, does anyone know if they are hard on the strutt or drive shaft?

Whats the Gorilla fin? I have three fins and I think two were standard equipment on the 2000 RLx. Is the groilla that third one or is it an even bigger fin?

Better to do them to starboard. Gorilla fins are simply larger (skegs what you have on your boat) that are angled gorilla.jpg. Your boat doesn't have gorilla fins as they came otut in 04' IIRC.

His boat wouldn't have Gorilla Fins anyway since it's not a vdrive. :lol: Better to starboard & more speed will get it to spin farther (I love to spin it at 40+). Fast in a straight line, & pull back to idle speed just as you initiate the spin. You'll probably want to gas it a little after it's finished spinning to get it out of the hole in the water that you've created otherwise you'll probably dunk the bow (if you've done it right anyways).

Ya if I don't hit it a little at the end I take it over the sturn since all I get is 180-220. I can imagine a 360 would flood the bow big time. That's about what I do, about 44-45 mph, cut the throtle as I crank the wheel hard as it goes. But I usually have 3 passengers, 2 of them in the back when I do them, I imagine that cuts the spin some.

So would my 3 'normal' fins be similar to 2 Groillas? Maybe I should be looking to upgrade.

So would my 3 'normal' fins be similar to 2 Groillas? Maybe I should be looking to upgrade.

Your 3 normal fins are superior to 2 gorilla fins. They invented the gorilla fins to try to make a VD handle like a DD. Biggrin.gif

Edited by 88Skier