Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie Hull question

JohnnyBravo

OK, I'll have to admit. I have no idea what you guys are talking about with the malibu hull designs.

What are that basic hull designs with Malibu and which is the better design for wakeboarding vs slalom? Thanks for the reply. :unsure:

Diamond hull also = Barefooting

Non-Diamond hull, forget any serious Barefooting. (fine if you don't cross the wake)

My daughter says that her college teams Moomba SUCKS for footing. Heck, it is designed for wakeboarding and they say it sucks for that too.

Oh, if you are on BIG water a lot where you get some serous chop to go thru then diamond hulls aren't so great if you frequently need to get to the other side to find calmer water. You gotta go slow and you are gonna get wet.

Non-Diamond hull, forget any serious Barefooting. (fine if you don't cross the wake)

My daughter says that her college teams Moomba SUCKS for footing. Heck, it is designed for wakeboarding and they say it sucks for that too.

Not necessarily, depends on the boat. There are a lot of people out there that prefer the Sportster (SV23) for footing over the Responses with the Diamond hull.

You sure? I've been told, and even noticed, that a Diamond hull is not a good footing boat because the wake is too soft.

You sure? I've been told, and even noticed, that a Diamond hull is not a good footing boat because the wake is too soft.

What's the hull of choice for trick skiing? ROFL.gif

Sorry...

:lol:

No, I am not all that sure, yes it is a softer wake on a Response. I guess it depends if you are just gonna foot and do tricks in the curl or do slolom runs. A harder curl would be nice but crossing the bigger wake can't be much fun either. Maybe some much more experienced footers can chime in here.

Bou does make a plate that fits where the wedge would normally fit, not sure if that is to smoothe out the center, or flatten the wake or make it harder.

By the way, my comment about the Diamond hulls being hard to cross thru big chop, well it is, but thats a down side that can be lived with.

I thought the Sportster had a diamond hull, well I was wrong on that one.

The angle of the hulls strakes has a lot to do with it. In 1998 Malibu changed the angle of the strakes (dimond) to 25 degrees which creates lift. Before 1998 the strakes were basically flat. At lease that is what the factory told me Innocent.gif

We have a '06 VLX with the diamond hull and we absolutely love it. Can ski it with a moderate bump across wake or wakeboard/surf with a very respectable wake. Diamond hull chins provide increased lift above 25 mph producing a smaller wake that a wake hull.

No, I am not all that sure, yes it is a softer wake on a Response. I guess it depends if you are just gonna foot and do tricks in the curl or do slolom runs. A harder curl would be nice but crossing the bigger wake can't be much fun either. Maybe some much more experienced footers can chime in here.

Bou does make a plate that fits where the wedge would normally fit, not sure if that is to smoothe out the center, or flatten the wake or make it harder.

By the way, my comment about the Diamond hulls being hard to cross thru big chop, well it is, but thats a down side that can be lived with.

There is a table-turbulence difference too. The diamond rides a little more "stern-high", thus leaving more propwash at the surface than a "tail-lower" non diamond. Hence, non-diamond=better for most. Every barefooter I know would take the non-diamond over the diamond.

As for the chop point, the non-diamond is even a rougher ride. The diamond allows the boat to ride like a "lighter" boat, thus REDUCING the relative pounding the boat takes. Not meaning to bust your chops north, but I had to point this out.

There is a table-turbulence difference too. The diamond rides a little more "stern-high", thus leaving more propwash at the surface than a "tail-lower" non diamond. Hence, non-diamond=better for most. Every barefooter I know would take the non-diamond over the diamond.

As for the chop point, the non-diamond is even a rougher ride. The diamond allows the boat to ride like a "lighter" boat, thus REDUCING the relative pounding the boat takes. Not meaning to bust your chops north, but I had to point this out.

No.gif

umm, a "heavy" boat (one that rides deeper in the water) is gonna roll thru rough water better than a "light" boat that slaps along the top

Tease2.gif

Honestly, I think that it's splitting hairs when talking about which hull rides better in the chop. Malibu DD boats (SV23 & newer, diamond or non-diamond) all ride significantly better through chop than any of the competitors, & the vdrives are better than the DD boats. The difference IMO between a diamond & non-diamond boat IME is negligible in comparison.

Honestly, I think that it's splitting hairs when talking about which hull rides better in the chop. Malibu DD boats (SV23 & newer, diamond or non-diamond) all ride significantly better through chop than any of the competitors, & the vdrives are better than the DD boats. The difference IMO between a diamond & non-diamond boat IME is negligible in comparison.

Being that I used to ride in a SLX and my SLXI I certainly could tell a difference between the two, but it's nothing like the DD vs. VD.

I agree Tracie, but the design of the diamond does in fact improve choppy ride. Hence the reason the "luxury sport-v's" come on diamond hulls. We've owned both a "wake" hulled VLX and a "diamond" LSV (of the same size) and I can tell you, that the diamond rides superior.

No.gif

umm, a "heavy" boat (one that rides deeper in the water) is gonna roll thru rough water better than a "light" boat that slaps along the top

Tease2.gif

I'm not saying that there isn't a difference (having ridden in a large variety of Bu's over the years I know that), what I'm saying is that the difference between the 2 isn't as great as any Malibu DD, whether it's on the diamond or SV23 hull vs. it's competitor (just as an example, any Response vs. a Ski Nautique, PS 190, MB Sports Boss 190 - I've ridden in all of those boats & there is no comparison in chop - the Response is vastly superior to the rest at least in that area).

so, are you saying the diamond dissipates the energy of waves (throwing them to the sides versus under the hull)?

if that's the case, i can see it - kind of like a wave breaker on the front of a container ship.

but a point of note: the wave breaker helps the ride of the container ship by dissipating wave energy, not by making the ship ride like a "lighter" vessel

(yeah, i know... i'm stirring it)

Well, maybe I'm out of wack on the chop thing too. I have never driven a non-diamond so there is certainly room for error on my part. It just seemed to reason that if a boat rode a little deeper that it would slice thru big chop better. (not pound the tops of the chop so bad)

I'm pretty sure that diamond hulls are better at doing 180 spins tho. I'm talking about being able to make back seat passengers dirty their bikini bottoms and then washing it off all in one maneuver! You can tell them to hang on but they just don't get it until they ride thru one. Come to think of it, I need to be in the back seat for one of those some day.

I'm pretty sure that diamond hulls are better at doing 180 spins tho.
:unsure: - - - - - No.gif - - - - - Biggrin.gif - - - - - Whistling.gif

:lol:

A little stroll down memory lane... Crazy.gif

It was Memorial Day [2005]. Troy (SacRiverRat) and I had gotten up early and were looking for a 3rd. We went out to the houseboat and everyone was passed out and unwilling to participate. We were feeling discouraged until Brad (barefooth2oskier) agreed to drive for us.

Troy and I got our pulls in, all was right with the world. When we got back to the houseboat to drop Brad off Justin (Malibudude) was finally awake and wanted a pull. Back out we go...Brad was feeling better at this point and also took a couple of runs. As the morning passed the wind kicked up and the wallies showed up so we finished up.

As we were heading for the houseboat, with Justin sitting in the observers seat and Brad & Troy sitting on the floor in the back, Justin leans over and whispers "Do a bat-turn and get'em wet". I resisted at first but eventually caved (I'm weak). So doing 42 mph I cut the throttle and spin the wheel to starboard...my little Sporty does a textbook 360* flat spin and I throttle out of it. Great fun...except everyone is still dry. Hmmm, maybe a couple more mph's will put some water in....

2nd attempt at getting Troy & Brad wet went something like this...45 mph, cut throttle, spin wheel to starboard...Aaaahhhh!! ...not exactly sure what caused it but water was coming from everywhere!! There was water coming over the windshield, water coming over the gunnels, there was even some water coming over the bimini (how the he!! does that happen? ). Needless to say, the second attempt was successful.

We had about 3" of standing water in the bottom of the boat. Had to lift the engine cover slightly to allow it into the bilge so the bilge pump could get rid of it. At one point, my CD case floated by.

Hence my Sportster LX became the "Swampster LX", I still need to talk to Eric at domednumbers.com about getting dripmolds made.