Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust hose cut with fiberglass inside

Hey everybody, yet another crazy problem with this boat lol. I've about had enough. 2011 23 lsv with the lsa. Was out over the weekend and bilge started kicking on a lot so I stopped to see what was going on and found a lot of water in the bilge. Took the boat off the water and found that one of the 90 degree rubber elbows from the muffler to transom had a huge cut in it, what caused the cut was a big chunk of fiberglass that had to have come out of the muffler internals. Any recommendations as to replacing just the hose or should I be thinking about a muffler and a hose???? Any input would be great. Thank in advance!

If so then time for muffler delete and FAE, your taking it down mid season so why not, spend all your money on upgrade instead of repair of same

Edited by granddaddy55
23 minutes ago, Glove0950 said:

So your saying do away with the muffler all together and straight pipe in for FAE?

Yes.  

New muffler is $490 from Bakes (as a quick reference point).  If you ever wanted FAE, now is the time to upgrade.  FAE is $520, minus discount (for paying members).  Makes more room for impeller and belt changes.  Stereo upgrade, can hear your tunes.  No CO.   

Or you can remove the old muffler, cut it  half long ways, remove the baffles and re-glass it back together.  

Either way you will need to replace the 90 degree hose.  

Does anybody have a picture of how or what materials they used to plumb in the exhaust on the inside of the boat. I have an image in my head and was thinking using a mix of fiberglass and rubber to plumb it in, but not sure if that is the "correct" way to do it.

Also where do I go to pay for the crew?

9 minutes ago, Glove0950 said:

Does anybody have a picture of how or what materials they used to plumb in the exhaust on the inside of the boat. I have an image in my head and was thinking using a mix of fiberglass and rubber to plumb it in, but not sure if that is the "correct" way to do it.

Also where do I go to pay for the crew?

Go to the store tab at the top.  Discounts also to Bakes and skidim for replacement hose too.  

No real "correct way", could use rubber or silicone hose and stainless pipe, black abs pipe, PVC (someone used this temporarily to figure out what they needed), or fiberglass exhaust pipe.  

2 hours ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Go to the store tab at the top.  Discounts also to Bakes and skidim for replacement hose too.  

No real "correct way", could use rubber or silicone hose and stainless pipe, black abs pipe, PVC (someone used this temporarily to figure out what they needed), or fiberglass exhaust pipe. 

ABS has a slightly higher melting point than PVC and still plenty cheap...you might be referring to me.  I used 3" ID (~3.5" OD) PVC elbows in place of the muffler and just angled them inwards to the hoses that come up from the transom exit.  I initially did this only as a temporary mockup and I fully intend to replace with SS elbow and silicone hose but just haven't gotten around to it.  It's lasted a full season just fine.

For sure to the OP @Glove0950 I recommend the FAE and muffler delete.  Unless you really like exhaust notes you'll be pleased with the sound reduction.

40 minutes ago, formulaben said:

ABS has a slightly higher melting point than PVC and still plenty cheap...you might be referring to me.  I used 3" ID (~3.5" OD) PVC elbows in place of the muffler and just angled them inwards to the hoses that come up from the transom exit.  I initially did this only as a temporary mockup and I fully intend to replace with SS elbow and silicone hose but just haven't gotten around to it.  It's lasted a full season just fine.

For sure to the OP @Glove0950 I recommend the FAE and muffler delete.  Unless you really like exhaust notes you'll be pleased with the sound reduction.

Ahh, that's right, it was @formulaben who used the PVC.  I knew I read about it somewhere.  

I plan on deleting my muffler when I go to change my impeller next.  Trying to decide on ABS or Stainless.  

It is a love hate relationship with the sound.  Love the rumble of the exhaust, however, love the ability to talk to passengers, hear the music without blasting everyone, hearing the water rush, talk to surfers, ect.  But, sometimes it sure would be nice to hear the rumble again for a bit.  

FYI - To @Michigan boarder boarders comments, I have used a home made exhaust from both PVC and ABS for the better part of 10 years, no issues and easy to fabricate, modify.  As for your fiberglass one, simply cut it open, look for damage and repair it (assuming not brittle), then simply glass the two 'halves' back together if you want to keep that setup.  No comments on the FAE systems as I have a pure slalom / barefoot boat.

Here's what it probably looks like on the inside.  I removed the baffles from mine and glassed in new openings for a different exhaust system (better flow, 3.5", etc) it's really easy to do.

post-8942-0-51809400-1430138665_thumb.jpgpost-8942-0-57268800-1430138850_thumb.jpgpost-8942-0-34332100-1430138907_thumb.jpgpost-8942-0-20969800-1389202344_thumb.jpgpost-8942-0-75547000-1389202605_thumb.jpg5978cbeee7912_ExhaustUltimateSilencer.thumb.JPG.6b4563421b4f216bcf37ec0274ef7d0b.JPG