Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Insurance

AJK

We are the new  owners of a 2018 21mlx (awesome boat) it is currently insured through Norman Spencer, which is who is our dealers finance company uses. Our previous boat was insured with Boat US with great coverage. Any recommendations or expierences with either company? Any other suggestions? 

7 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Ski Safe is where I switched to after finding they were 1/2 what I paid at State Farm for better coverage

This...except Ski Safe was less than half for me from State Farm's insane rate.  I tried Boat US in between, but they went up after a year for no reason so I moved to Ski Safe.  

I’ve been with Progessive for years.  Had them for 8 years with no claims then WHAM!!  hit a log 6” in diameter that was floating vertical.  Thankful for disappearing deductible......

Took my prop off myself tried to get it repaired at a local guy to no avail.  Finally called progressive and filed a claim.  

Adjuster came out, looked at prop, looked at boat.  Asked what all I had done to try to fix it.  Told him.  He said ok, get me an estimate for whatever prop you are putting on it.  

They cut me a check within a week for new prop, cash I had spent out of hand trying to get the prop repaired,  enough to cover my sealer inspecting the shaft for damage and alignment and also gave me an extra $170 to cover my time removing and reinstalling the prop   

They are not the cheapest but not the most expensive, but sometimes you get what you pay for  

• Like 1

From recommendations on here I switched to Skisafe as well. Literally 1/2 the cost of Progressive/USAA with a vanishing deductible after 4 years w/o a claim and an agreed upon value that will get me into another Malibu boat not the KBB or other insurance company estimated “book value”. 6 month lay up with the option to call in activation for the ocassional use if I wanted to. Everything else in comparison to my old policies coverage is head and shoulders above it. 281.00 a year for my 2010 LSV.

12 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Interesting. I have State Farm on 3 power boats and 2 Wave Runners and a catamaran for $1200 total per year. I think that's pretty reasonable.

60k of boat/trailer coverage is around $240 a year from skisafe. 

I use SkiSafe. Switched from BoatUS who I used for probably 12+ years. They unexplainably raised rates and I went shopping. My new LSV is covered for over $100,000 boat and trailer, $325 year. I have luckily never made a claim in 25 years of boating, so can’t comment on either companies service. 

All my insurance is through Farmers.  Home, vehicles (6),  Boat,  & $1M Umbrella policy.   My Farmers Insurance agent wrote policies for my last two boats.  Not sure why but policies are under a subsidiary company called Foremost Insurance.

The boat is covered at a set value (>$110k).  With the highest available medical & liability since I have an umbrella policy that takes over up to $1 million dollars on all my policies for home, cars, boat, etc...  

Unfortunately had a MAJOR claim this past year.  (Don't ask my daughter was driving....)  Cost >$11,000 to replace the Tranny, V Drive and Prop repair.   My 1st claim ever with them after 15+ years.  Foremost\ Farmers Claims was easy to work with.  Responsive and quick.  They did the whole transaction remotely.  Claims agent worked directly with local Malibu shop which sent pictures of the damage and cost estimate for repair.  Foremost covered the entire estimated amount provided by my dealer completely less reduced deductible of only $350 of course.   Cut me a check which arrived by special overnight mail.  

Maybe not apples to apples with some other lower yearly premiums seen here but I was happy to have the customer service and no hassle coverage.  Premium is ~$550/ year.  Thought that is reasonable for full replacement cost insurance and highest possible limits on medical, liability, etc...    

Edited by ORMailbuboater

Because of this topic I just switched to skisafe.  They were $325 cheaper than Allstate (625 vs 950) with better coverage overall... Though a $1000 deductible; going from 500 to 1000 with Allstate was like $60 difference. 

The best news was that as long as I kept 100k liability my Allstate umbrella policy was still in effect, so a no brainier really after looking at the mostly good experiences with them.

Hopefully I never make a claim, but seems to be legit and priced correctly for all of us anal wakeboat owners.

• 6 months later...

I purchased directly from them, but called in and spoke with a representative.  She was very helpful in understanding my liabilities, and impacts of specific laws by state that were important to adjust my coverage for.  In the end I spent the same amount that their online system quoted me, but my policy looks much different than how I had set it up.   

Several years later and after seeing how friends have employed their policies, I see that her recommendations were spot on.  

Edited by Pra4sno
On 7/23/2018 at 7:49 PM, oldjeep said:

60k of boat/trailer coverage is around $240 a year from skisafe. 

Interestingly enough, so is 15k worth, depending on your location!  Still was 1/2 of Boat US.  

Boating in our drinking water means I have a LOT of hazardous cleanup coverage.  :lol:

My buddy's block cracked two years ago, but on a whim he'd added block coverage through ski safe, and receipts showing he had paid for winterization.  Shop hadnt cleared rust out of an engine block drain.  

Ski safe sent a check for a full motor replacement within 48 hours of him finding a shop that could do the work.  

Edited by Pra4sno

Thanks. I have been with Boat U.S. for a very long time. Never have had to file a claim of any sort. The reason I'm looking to change insurance companies: GEICO commercials annoy me to no end, so I decided to stop helping to fund them. A little research revealed GEICO spends over a billion bucks a year advertising, as do other large insurance companies.