Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission troubles

Hi All, I have a 2005 VLX with the Monsoon engine, this past weekend I was cruisingat about 25 mph when all of the sudden the boat acted as if the prop came off, I did not hit anything.  when i got towed in and pulled the boat out the prop was obviously still there. The boat was acting like it was in neutral.  the transmission fluid looked good and smelled normal, no other obvious signs of any issues. could it have popped out of gear? is there a cable that may be broken? If anyone has heard of this before please let me know.  I'm hoping the tranny isnt toast!

Appreciate any feedback.

Thank You

Edited by Javabean

Anything is possible. Yes, there is a cable. If you access the V-Drive compartment, you'll see the cable that attaches to the transmission to change the gear. Operate the throttle and make sure it's moving forward and back.

That sounds promising!, because I did check for movement at the tranny cable and didn't see any movement when i moved the throttle. i did see movement at the engine and I could rev the motor when I was in the water, just no propiulsion.

I did not check the tranny linkage until i was out of the water. does the engine need to be running to engage the tranny?

I bought the boat in 08 with no engine, previous owner didn't winterize so he traded it in for a new on was my understanding.  anyhow they upgraded the damper plate with the new engine.

7 minutes ago, malibu2004 said:

Did you break the shaft where it connects to the transmission or break the key? That would be my first guess. 

Have not checked that yet, would that really just break without hitting anything? my prop has no damage whatsoever. unfortunately i cant get back to my boat until Friday.  My mechanic said he would go pick it up at my place and take a look.  Ill let you know.  Thanks for the help fellas.

24 minutes ago, Ballay said:

Drive shaft still connected to bottom of v drive?

I did not check that before I left.  What would keep the shaft from falling right out of the boat if that were to become disconnected? I will definitely check the coupler when i get back to the boat.

1 minute ago, malibu2004 said:

It hits the rudder. Mine broke inside the coupler. 

haha, i guess it would hit the rudder..  I will check that out!  Thanks for the tip!

6 minutes ago, malibu2004 said:

It hits the rudder. Mine broke inside the coupler. 

Same here lol... guess I am not the only one now ;)

2 minutes ago, Javabean said:

scary!

You have no idea.  We were on lake cumberland in 110 feet of water with two families on a windy Wednesday with the lake to ourselves.  5 kids under the age of 8.  Needless to say, the kids vocabulary was expanded that day.....

4 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Hopefully it's just one of these.  I removed mine since the helm panel was removed for a project and here is what it looked like.

13zsdht.jpg

Had that happen. I now keep a spare on board.

2 hours ago, formulaben said:

Hopefully it's just one of these.  I removed mine since the helm panel was removed for a project and here is what it looked like.

13zsdht.jpg

that would be great if thats what it was!

Thanks!

Update on this, so my mechanic and I both  feel the flex plate went after ruling out everything else, it wasn’t a violent thing although I did have the music on but I didn’t feel anything on the wheel. All fluid levels were good, no linkage or cable issues.  Bummer. 

any idea what something like this should cost? (Assuming it’s the damper plate)

thanks guys!

4 minutes ago, Javabean said:

Update on this, so my mechanic and I both  feel the flex plate went after ruling out everything else, it wasn’t a violent thing although I did have the music on but I didn’t feel anything on the wheel. All fluid levels were good, no linkage or cable issues.  Bummer. 

any idea what something like this should cost? (Assuming it’s the damper plate)

thanks guys!

If it is damper plate failure, it's likely caused by a misaligned bellhousing.  You can check the alignment and correct it while it's apart so you don't have to do this again.