Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Port side SURF

Shawn Owen

Looking for suggestions to get the best port side surf wake out of my 2011 LSV 247? I have standard hard ballast and 750# sacks in each side. Generally fill port side, center and front along with Rear 750# fat sack, wedge all the way down.....most of the problems occur when have more than 5-6 people in the boat. Have tried moving folks around , not a real big fix. The wake tends to be washed and short. Star bird side  is generally fine if you like a short some what clean ride. Should I increase ballast under seats? Do I add Wake Makers aftermarket gate? I appreciate any comments. 

need more information.. that is a surf beast...

Short wave = slow speed, to much wedge, or not enough ballast in front

To increase wave length= More front ballast required, higher speed or less wedge

I assume you are listing the boat right now and you will need more weight in rear and front. Port side is the hard side to setup due to prop rotation.

I have a 23 lsv with gosurfassist and this is how my boat is setup

All Factory MLS is full (250 sub floor rear, 500 sub floor mid)

900 in rear lockers

300 in coffin seats (the ones after the rear lockers along side of boat)

900 in front.

Wedge Port side 2-3 clicks from deployed. Starboard side all the way down.

Speed 11 - 12.6 depending on rider

With listing the boat you need all your movable ballast (people) on the surf side and move some to front. I would also recommend another ballast bag on surf side and bow.

Good Info. I am 6', 180#, my son is 6', 150#....we generally fill all stock and just side that is being surfed and the sack on that side. As far as the front ballast, is that a sack that sits on bow seats? Where do you put passengers up there? Goofy question, but if 900# up there it would be tough to seat passengers.? I think my factor stock up front is 250# not sure the total factory set up, but you fill all factory then the side that the surfer surfs on? What coffin sacks do you have, are the adjoined to the rear lockers? What bags do you recommend for that area?

Wedge down on the star bird generally is clean, just short. If any clicks up on the port side, pretty much a wash out....I am looking to elongate the wake and have it as clean as possible, all sides. I have experimented with moving people around and get some results, really just depends on size of passengers. Have you had any experience with manual wake makers that affix to the side of your boat with velcro/suction wake shapers?

Sounds to me like i need more ballast up front and down sides of boat? 

You need more weight - period.  Those hulls need a lot of weight.

If you want to keep the listed wake, you need a dong sack.  I know someone selling one.  It is the RIGHT way to do a listed wave on that boat, period.  

If you want a gated wave, you need more weight as well, just spread out more.  Bigger locker tanks.  More front weight.  

Let's put it this way - I have a hull that is 9" narrower and 3' shorter (FAR smaller boat...I've spent plenty of time surfing a 247, including this summer).  Yet I run more weight than you do.