Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon 340 Plug Wires

07 Sunscape 

It was crappy out the other day and with this boat being new to me, I decided to replace the the spark plugs (Tinus had no record of plug/wire maintenance).  I pulled out the rusty MR 43LTS plugs and replaced them NGK TR5 2238 Nickel Plated plugs.  I then looked at the BLUE plug wires and am guessing they might be original as well, they sure looked pretty old.

I hoped online and searched TMC for which plug wires I should get and I couldn't find a real clear answer so off to Bakes I went.  You're probably wondering why I didn't do this before I bought and change the spark plugs? Because I didn't think it would be a big deal.. :lol:

Bakes descriptions didn't help a whole lot so I sent out an email asking if these plug wires were correct for my nickel plated plugs.  The email I received back said those plugs wires are for "AC delco 41-993", which turns out they are platinum plugs.   

Can I still use those plugs?  My thought is probably not and now I'm unsure which plug wires to get?

**Also plan on going with new distributor cap and rotor.  

Edited by Arick
boat description

If you have the HVS ignition (The flat distributor cap with the wires coming out of the sides), then you really need to get the Indmar wires. They're expensive for plug wires, but they're the correct length (they route differently on a boat than a truck/van/car) and are thicker wire than you'll get with a run-of-the-mill wire from the store.

The plugs you bought might not be marine plugs. I put ACDelco MR43LTS in my boat, which are the correct plugs for a boat WITHOUT catalytic converters. 41-993 are the plugs that are for boats WITH CATs.

Edited by boardjnky4
1 minute ago, boardjnky4 said:

If you have the HVS ignition (The flat distributor cap with the wires coming out of the sides), then you really need to get the Indmar wires. They're expensive for plug wires, but they're the correct length (they route differently on a boat than a truck/van/car) and are thicker wire than you'll get with a run-of-the-mill wire from the store.

The plugs you bought might not be marine plugs. I put ACDelco MR43LTS in my boat.

Honestly, just buy the tune up kit they sell: https://www.bakesonline.com/hvs-ignition-system-tune-up-kit.html

The link in my post for plug wires, are the same for that set.  The plugs that come with that set are platinum, I believe.  I put the cart before the horse and bought and INSTALLED the NGK plugs. I'd rather not eat the cost of the plugs if I don't have to..

Does it run?  Unless they have a very small gap - which could theoretically screw with timing I say don't worry about it if they're already in.  They may wear out faster but how long do spark plugs last? If they're not in yet then go with the platinums (AC Delco 41-993).  I put the 993's in 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since.

As @boardjnky4 said, get the right wire set or it'll be a mess.

19 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Does it run?  Unless they have a very small gap - which could theoretically screw with timing I say don't worry about it if they're already in.  They may wear out faster but how long do spark plugs last? If they're not in yet then go with the platinums (AC Delco 41-993).  I put the 993's in 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since.

As @boardjnky4 said, get the right wire set or it'll be a mess.

That is what my post is about, trying to find the right wire set.

If you have an HVS ignition, then the wires in your original link are correct.

HVS is easy to distinguish. The distributor cap is flat and has the wires attach to the sides, not the top. Just like in the pictures of the cap and rotor from the link you posted.

@Arick:  I am not sure on the plug wire set, the key criteria are - 1. correct ends for the distributor cap, comments above on identifying it  2. suppression wire if you have Perfect Pass (and probably any speed control)  3.  correct ends to allow the routing you want at the spark plug end.

As for plugs, you are fine, NGK's are excellent plugs & like the wires, resistor plugs are one key criteria, I did not check the cross reference chart which would indicate what heat range you have in hand.  There are some very good spark plug sites that run through what the pros / cons are on the different type of spark plugs from basic copper > platinum > iridium etc.  From my perspective, you don't need to spend any extra $ on the long lasting ones, boats don't accumulate enough hours to justify a super long change interval on them.  Also, I would steer away from all the gimmick type of plugs, not worth the cost.  One item I would consider important is the 'right' heat range for how you use the boat and to make sure you pick the plug material that lights off easiest due to frequent hot starts.  Too cold a plug and it will be hard starting and not be good if you operate where hot starts are common, and too hot a plug would not be good for a barefoot boat running high RPM consistently.

Hope that helped & here is an article that describes the plug material benefits:

https://www.championautoparts.com/Parts-Matter/automotive-repair-and-maintenance/Spark-Plug-Materials.html