Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Watersport Trim Tabs

cWonka

Has anyone else heard of or tried the Wake Surf Shop - Watersport Trim Tabs? Recommendation was made in response to a facebook post asking about GSA. Price seems right, but I know in researching past "trim tab" implementation projects on here that it can be a difficult implementation. What would be the crew recommendation 1) GSA/Trim tabs or 2) DIY Surf Gate? 

wstt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have GSA on my 2008 23LSV and couldn't be happier... worth every penny.  I wanted to do my own Suftgate but GSA is just a much easier path... everything you need comes in the box.  DIY is going to be cheaper but GSA is going to be easier.

• Like 2

Both work on the same principle but a properly setup tab system should create a larger wave. I know this is debatable. Of course this all depends on the depth of the water where you surf 

I've seen several people post running GSA with a suckgate on-board as a way to have both styles. I guess if you're in shallower water you could always retract a tab system and add a suckgate to the side. Has anyone run a suckgate that attaches to the back of the boat and acts similar to GSA rather than to the side replicating a Surfgate setup?

The nice thing about GSA at least on an LSV other than what other mentioned is that it likes weight in the back. I use piggyback 900's in the lockers and no more filling a bag in the bow. I would imagine the tabs you posted above would be similar. My only issue is that my kid/toddler seems to like to jump off the side of the swim step and climb up there too and the tabs have a bunch of edges and corners to worry about, gates alleviate that issue.

4 hours ago, jcon44 said:

The nice thing about GSA at least on an LSV other than what other mentioned is that it likes weight in the back. I use piggyback 900's in the lockers and no more filling a bag in the bow. I would imagine the tabs you posted above would be similar. My only issue is that my kid/toddler seems to like to jump off the side of the swim step and climb up there too and the tabs have a bunch of edges and corners to worry about, gates alleviate that issue.

We've got a 1,000# bow bag on top of the 850 MLS, but its not integrated at all the way the rear bags are so I always feel like its a real eye sore and pain to get out. Would be very interested in a GSA/Tab style solution that keeps the bow bag in the storage locker. Also like the idea of a tab system that gets the boat up for a better ski/kneeboard wake. The Watersport Trim Tabs are <$1,500 so they seem like a good middle of the road solution for a GSA like implementation without the inflated price tag. Would prefer to ride behind a boat with them before investing that kind of money and putting holes in the boat though.

15 minutes ago, cWonka said:

Also like the idea of a tab system that gets the boat up for a better ski/kneeboard wake. Would prefer to ride behind a boat with them before investing that kind of money and putting holes in the boat though.

Yup, the "launch mode" is a nice feature for the prepower wedge II boats that gates don't help with.  Come up to NC and I'll take you for a ride.

21 hours ago, cWonka said:

I've seen several people post running GSA with a suckgate on-board as a way to have both styles. I guess if you're in shallower water you could always retract a tab system and add a suckgate to the side. Has anyone run a suckgate that attaches to the back of the boat and acts similar to GSA rather than to the side replicating a Surfgate setup?

I have GSA and love it... Mine was installed by GSA so I did not have to do that part... I tried once with suckgate and GSA and not worh it IMO... Boat handled like crap, did not see a change in wake, removes the automation. The GSA tabs have venturis built into them that cause the wave convergance.. it is not a listing device... 

20180729_141556_zps0kharkyn.jpg

Average waterdepth was between 8ft to 15ft.. I don't know how deep it was here

Edited by kerpluxal
  • Like 1
35 minutes ago, jcon44 said:

Yup, the "launch mode" is a nice feature for the prepower wedge II boats that gates don't help with.  Come up to NC and I'll take you for a ride.

How close are you to Columbia, SC?

3 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

The picture posted above is pretty much an exact copy of the centurion tabs. 

I'd never really looked much into Centurion's surf setup, but you're right they look exactly like the Centurion/Supreme Quicksurf tabs.

I still fill a bow bag on my LSV, 1100s in the lockers, plus a sack on the floor with a light crew.  The GSA is great for the transfers, boat handling while surfing, size and shape of wave, lift mode, but I have found it takes as much or more weight than suck gate or wicked wake surf.  I would still recommend it every time though, just look at Kerpluxal's wave, that could be you.

11 hours ago, wakesonthesnake said:

I still fill a bow bag on my LSV, 1100s in the lockers, plus a sack on the floor with a light crew.  The GSA is great for the transfers, boat handling while surfing, size and shape of wave, lift mode, but I have found it takes as much or more weight than suck gate or wicked wake surf.  I would still recommend it every time though, just look at Kerpluxal's wave, that could be you.

I'll get a picture of mine this weekend. I'm running the same setup, 1100# filled as full as possible (~900#), 1000# in the bow, 850# front/hull MLS, and 2x 280# positioned to offset the crew size, w/ manual wedge down. Currently running a DIY suckgate, but I'm VERY interested in either the Quicksurf style tabs or a DIY surfgate solution as a winter project.

• Like 1

I bet yours is good with that set up. I was running the Wicked Wake Surf and power wedge but it sounds like about the same set up I had.  I noticed the wave lost a bit of steepness but got much meatier and longer with the GSA.  Even though it wasn't as steep it was still as tall.  My wife and I ride goofy so it wasn't a huge deal but I never did dial in the regular side wave before GSA, now it is really close to as good.  Transfers are a lot of fun, it opens up a whole new sport in a way.  It does cost a bunch but still a lot less than a new ride with transfer capabilities.  If you are happy with pretty much everything else about your boat and are going to keep it more than a couple of years it is worth it.  I got mine directly from GSA on black Friday and saved a few hundred, made me feel a little better.  One day install.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at surf systems for my 2008 Malibu Sunscape 21 LSV.  Needless to say, I am intrigued by the Watersport Trim Tabs that you mentioned are available

through a company called Wake Surf Shop.  I have not been able to find this company?  Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. 

16 hours ago, rp3indy said:

I have been looking at surf systems for my 2008 Malibu Sunscape 21 LSV.  Needless to say, I am intrigued by the Watersport Trim Tabs that you mentioned are available

through a company called Wake Surf Shop.  I have not been able to find this company?  Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. 

I was able to locate the Wake Surf Shop on Facebook.  I have already reached out to learn more about the system they offer.  It looks like this may be an affordable

alternative to GSA and Super Surf'r which are very pricey.  

I'm curious as to how this setup compares to the same weighted boat with a surfgate.  That wake looks nice, but I could use the same technology and make a surfgate instead.

25 minutes ago, mrothwell said:

I'm curious as to how this setup compares to the same weighted boat with a surfgate.  That wake looks nice, but I could use the same technology and make a surfgate instead.

I'm wondering the same.  I am looking to upgrade to a 2008-2011 23 LSV and I am considering doing something like this.  Also, would my money be better spent buying a 2008 and adding GSA or buying a 2010/2011 and just using a suckgate?

Edited by Brodie
8 hours ago, rp3indy said:

I was able to locate the Wake Surf Shop on Facebook.  I have already reached out to learn more about the system they offer.  It looks like this may be an affordable

While GSA is "pricey", you will not be dissapointed... These are not simply trim tabs that list a boat. They are developed by a hydro engineer. Those strakes in the rear part of the tab is what creates the wave convergence.. I am not a representative of GSA. The GSA system is fully automated and with their own controllers. The samples I saw that you shared used lenco controllers.. never used their system but did demo the ski supreme with the same setup.. have to raise one  while you lower the other one.. not a transfer friendly system... GSA.. push left.. want to transfer, push right... 

This is with one person in the boat and not setup like above:

Edited by kerpluxal
  • Like 3
On 8/2/2018 at 11:45 PM, wakesonthesnake said:

There's a wave in that picture?  :innocent:

• Like 2
11 hours ago, rp3indy said:

Yes, I first heard of them and found them on Facebook. There is a member of the Facebook group that just bought the same year and hull as me and he’s committed to putting them on so I figured I’d wait to see his results and then make a decision as to whether I wanted to go with a tab system, diy surfgate, or just keep using my suckgate. I like the GSA system, I just can’t justify the $3,500 price tag.

16 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

While GSA is "pricey", you will not be dissapointed... These are not simply trim tabs that list a boat. They are developed by a hydro engineer. Those strakes in the rear part of the tab is what creates the wave convergence.. I am not a representative of GSA. The GSA system is fully automated and with their own controllers. The samples I saw that you shared used lenco controllers.. never used their system but did demo the ski supreme with the same setup.. have to raise one  while you lower the other one.. not a transfer friendly system... GSA.. push left.. want to transfer, push right... 

This is with one person in the boat and not setup like above:

100% agree and worth it.....GSA tried and true.  No risk, no hoping it wil be good!

• Like 2
14 hours ago, cWonka said:

. I like the GSA system, I just can’t justify the $3,500 price tag.

It is not cheap but is saved me at least 80k I would have spend buying a new boat. I ride goofy so moving water around and filling bags was getting old. Only down side I have seen is how to justify an upgrade when my kid is older and I'm able to start spending more time on the water again. It took me some time to get dialed in but the wave now is awesome with just my wife and 30lb kid in the boat. Don't get me wrong, it was really good on day one but I was weighting the boat all wrong at first...

• Like 2