Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

? about maint. on 06-09 Wakesters, etc.

As I continue my quest to find an older Wakesetter, I had a question about maintenance in general and oil changes specifically. Are the side panels in the engine compartment removable where more working room for maintenance can be obtained? Does the oil have to be pumped out, or is there an oil pan drain plug that can be accessed? I like doing my own "wrenching" and these engine compartments for wakeboard boats in general seemed very cramped.

Thanks.  

Panels come out. My '10 and my friends '09 both have an oil drain hose that drops through the 1" rear bilge drain hole by the side of the oil pan. On the end of the drain line is a brass plug with a nipple with a hole through it, which Indmar uses to secure the hose to the block lifting point with a for lack of a better description, a SS paper clip. I do ALL of my own maintenance and I think others will agree, other than messing with the shaft coupler the boat is pretty accessible.

06 to 09 (and more) all have an oil drain tube attached to the bottom of the oil pan.  As stated above, it has a threaded end that screws into a cap/holder.  The threads are a normal size and you can easily find a female match to attach it to a Mighty Vac or other vacuum device.  Oil changes are a 10 minute exercise.

For the filter, a big piece of plastic covered by an absorbent pad will keep it mostly clean.

I can confirm '98 and '04 boats with 350s have that oil drain tube. For the oil filter, I use a gallon ziplock bag around it before I unscrew it. The oil simply goes in the bag as well as the old filter once unscrewed.

4 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

I can confirm '98 and '04 boats with 350s have that oil drain tube. For the oil filter, I use a gallon ziplock bag around it before I unscrew it. The oil simply goes in the bag as well as the old filter once unscrewed.

It may not work as well on a block mounted filter but, on my remote mounted filter I use an old milk jug with the bottom cut out and the handle side cut a little lower to get my hand on the filter. The plastic is thin enough to get between the filter and the remote mount and I have easy access to the filter with the wrench if needed. Once I get the filter started I just slide the jug in place spin and lower the filter into the jug. What little oil is left on the remote face is easily absorbed by some paper towels or a rag.

14 hours ago, wdr said:

It may not work as well on a block mounted filter but, on my remote mounted filter I use an old milk jug with the bottom cut out and the handle side cut a little lower to get my hand on the filter. The plastic is thin enough to get between the filter and the remote mount and I have easy access to the filter with the wrench if needed. Once I get the filter started I just slide the jug in place spin and lower the filter into the jug. What little oil is left on the remote face is easily absorbed by some paper towels or a rag.

Works well on both block mounted filters that I work on. But, do what works best for you I guess. :salute: