Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First Boat - 91 Sunsetter Euro

91malibu

I will be picking up my first boat next weekend....a 91 Sunsetter Euro F3 with the 350 mag motor.  I will be buying the  boat from my sister and her husband, who are relocating from Texas to Florida.  They bought the boat from his father several years ago and he bought it in the mid-90's.  It is in very good shape and has abot 750 hours on it.  Not a lot of upgrades, but comes equiped with a Perfect Pass and a tower, along with a bunch of life jackets, 3 tubes, skis, all the ropes, etc..  My immediate plans are to have the gel coat buffed out (my neighbor owns a detailing shop), updgrade the prop with an ACME 543 or 209, and get the teak swim platform looking proper while the boat is getting buffed.  The boat is in great condition and should look basically new once it gets cleaned up a bit.  I'll attempt to load pictures of what it looks like right now and add some new ones in a couple weeks once it is looking sharp.  The floor is solid, interior (all original) is like new and the boat has been meticulously cared for it's entire life.  I'm excited to get it in as nice of shape as possible and get the family out on the water.  If you have any experience with the ACME 543/209, any input would be greatly appreciated.  The boat will be used for cruising, tubing and beginner/intermediate wakeboarding.

I'll attempt to load pictures ASAP.

• Like 1

You might want to double check the bore before you buy the prop. I have a 93 euro, and mine has a 1.125 bore. I ended up choosing the acme 515.

I’d love to post pics but I can’t seem to figure it out!  Please let me know the preferred method for loading pictures.

Well I pulled the boat 900 miles from Texas to Nebraska without issues in 14 hours yesterday.  I'll get some pictures posted once it has been buffed out, detailed and the swim platform is refinished....stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice. We have 92 Euro f3 Skier in the same colours. 

When you redo the platform, don’t sand it too smooth as it becomes brutally slippery. I had to add fine silica to another coat to make it usable after I made ours look like a piece of furniture!

Happy boating. 

Thanks, Lindt.  I actually dropped the boat off at the detailer today and got started on the swim platform.  I bought the 3 step kit from Starbrite.  I lightly sanded it but left a lot of nice grain for grip, applied the teak brightener and will start with the sealer tomorrow.  I should have the boat back from getting buffed on Thursday.  I'll post a few pics when I get it back together.  Just gotta get some aluminum polish on the tower and get it out on the water in Nebraska for the first time this weekend.

Got a few pictures from the shop tonight.  The boat looks way better and will be ready to pick up tomorrow.  I got the swim platform cleaned up while the boat's been at the shop.  I used the Starbrite cleaner/brightener/sealer and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out....should look real good on the back of the cleaned up boat.

There is nothing "wrong" with the prop I have.  I am looking to upgrade to a higher performane Acme prop, which will also leave me with a spare prop, which I currently don't have.

I got the boat out on the water for the first time yesterday and everything went well.  It took a little bit to get it started off the trailer.  It hadn't ran in about a month, but I thought it would have started a little easier.  Per the Malibu manual, I took the throttle all the forward and back twice then nudged it forward just a bit to get it off of idle speed.  It took a few cranks before it fired at all....is this normal?  Is there a better process for starting when cold to get it to start up easier?  I've owned plenty of carbureted vehicles and understand cold starting takes longer than fuel injection.....just looking for any advice.

@91malibu:  Cold starts - I usually give mine 3 primes to get it fired quickly but each carb tends to want its own process so you will have to determine what that is.  Mine starts quicker than my buddies FI RLX.  Prop - what prop do you have, that will give you an indication of how much a current CNC prop will help along with the overall health of the engine, the CNC ones are very good but you may not get a big change as it can depend on several factors.  I had a CVP that I tuned on and it worked very well although I have gone to an Acme.

BTW - great looking boat!

Edited by Woodski