Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge on 1998 Sunsetter VLX

Behindtheboat

Is it possible to add a wedge to a 1998 sunsetter vlx? Trying to reach out to Malibu as well, but no response yet....so thought I'd ask here.

I looked into it on my 97' Sunsetter and it was good to go.  I do not remember for sure but the I believe it is the same hull as the first Wakesetters with the wedge. 

• Like 1

Not sure why you would reach out to Malibu.  Go to the dealer and buy the parts, or find them used online.

Unless you find a great deal on a used setup, get a floating wedge.  Your SV23 hull was sold in V-drive form from 1996 - 2008, even longer in direct drive form...best selling inboard hull of all time.

12 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Not sure why you would reach out to Malibu.  Go to the dealer and buy the parts, or find them used online.

Unless you find a great deal on a used setup, get a floating wedge.  Your SV23 hull was sold in V-drive form from 1996 - 2008, even longer in direct drive form...best selling inboard hull of all time.

I reached out to the local dealer here and they said they contacted Malibu and were told they could not get a bracket for my boat. It struck me as odd so I reached out to Malibu directly.

I've looked around for used online and have not found the bracket.

Like @Nitrousbird stated.  Go for the floating wedge at this point.  Easier to use and if you decide to add an FAE you can still use the Wedge door.  

12 hours ago, Behindtheboat said:

I reached out to the local dealer here and they said they contacted Malibu and were told they could not get a bracket for my boat. It struck me as odd so I reached out to Malibu directly.

I've looked around for used online and have not found the bracket.

The Wedge is proprietary to Malibu so you will have to get the bracket from a local dealer unless you can find it used.  You can buy the Wedge from Bakes or else where but you need the bracket from the dealer.  

14 minutes ago, wakesonthesnake said:

I am pretty sure that is for a power wedge.

I agree with this.  Plus that is way to expensive just for the bracket.  Your dealer should be able to order the bracket in for you, either the manual or floating wedge.  I'm not sure why they say they can't?  Where are you located?

7 hours ago, blk93jeepzj said:

I agree with this.  Plus that is way to expensive just for the bracket.  Your dealer should be able to order the bracket in for you, either the manual or floating wedge.  I'm not sure why they say they can't?  Where are you located?

You haven't priced out brackets.  That's actually low for a power wedge, as those brackets are harder to come by.  That's about on-par with the cost of a new manual or floating wedge bracket.

No I haven’t priced a bracket out lately. I just know when I had to get a new wedge from hitting a stump I decided to pay the difference to upgrade to a floating wedge vs the OE manual wedge. I only needed the foil to make my old manual one to work. So I had to buy a floating bracket and pay the upcharge for a floating foil. 

May have to look in the garage to see if the old manual bracket made it to the new house in the move?

10 hours ago, blk93jeepzj said:

I'm in Raleigh, NC.

So Malibu said the dealer would have to order it, but that they had no liability. Dealer recontacted Malibu to order and they said they would not sell it because it would be a liability! So, it seems clear I am going to have to look at the used route, which looked bleak last night. I'll likely post on the WTB forums here as well....anyone have any other thoughts?

Liability for what?  Makes no sense at all.  You want to install what they would have put on at the factory. 

Draw a bracket and have a local shop fab one for you.