Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wetsounds Pro80 Tower Speaker CONE repair

dmx434343

Hello all,

I have a pair of PRO 80 Tower speakers on my boat which are about 10+ years old. about 5 years ago i replaced the cone on the left speaker and now the right speaker cone is crumbling with small cracks/holes in it. I called wetsounds to see if they could sell me another replacement cone but they said they do not make parts anymore and i would have to buy a new set of REV8's for $1110.00. I wondering if this is repairable, i did a google search on speaker cone repair and a how to with RTV silicone with some small pieces of paper towel as a buffer was recommended.  Any thoughts or recommendations? I also wonder if the REV8 speaker cone would work on the Pro80, it looks the same in the pictures.

Thanks,

Dan

You would not want to repair the cone(s), but rather have the basket re-coned along with a new rubber surround. 

Ive never tried to load a rev in a pro pod, but its been my understanding that there are some physical difference that will make it a not so plug n play drop in. 

1 hour ago, MLA said:

You would not want to repair the cone(s), but rather have the basket re-coned along with a new rubber surround. 

Ive never tried to load a rev in a pro pod, but its been my understanding that there are some physical difference that will make it a not so plug n play drop in. 

Is it possible to have the basket re-coned without any parts from wetsounds?

Sure! There a places that in the biz of re-coning speakers. You just to find one that has correct size cone and surround that are a non-paper based/composite cone material and rubber surround. 

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, dmx434343 said:

Hello all,

I have a pair of PRO 80 Tower speakers on my boat which are about 10+ years old. about 5 years ago i replaced the cone on the left speaker and now the right speaker cone is crumbling with small cracks/holes in it. I called wetsounds to see if they could sell me another replacement cone but they said they do not make parts anymore and i would have to buy a new set of REV8's for $1110.00. I wondering if this is repairable, i did a google search on speaker cone repair and a how to with RTV silicone with some small pieces of paper towel as a buffer was recommended.  Any thoughts or recommendations? I also wonder if the REV8 speaker cone would work on the Pro80, it looks the same in the pictures.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan, at this late stage, you cannot repair the cone via any method that would last in the harsh outdoors world. It must be replaced. You can get re-cone kits (consisting of new cone, surround, spider & voice coil) from a number of sources, like Simply Speakers for example. Also, there are countless regional speakers rebuilders that are kept busy in the prosound business, and can provide a full service rebuild. Rev8 parts used to repair a Pro80? Only concise measurements will provide that answer. But until shown otherwise, I don't see why not.