Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

pontoon trailer

tdelandsheer

lift or float on pontoon trailer?

I am going to look at a used pontoon tomorrow and if I like it I'm going to have to pick up a trailer (doesn't come with one). The pontoon is a 24 ft double deck with a 30hp engine. I have about a 2 hour highway tow home. I might take it a couple hours away on vacation once a year but the rest of the time it will be at my dock. My ramp can get pretty shallow by end of year. I've always been able to get the Malibu on its trailer, but that is pushing my luck some times. I have years of towing ski boats but this is my first pontoon.Both trailers are about the same price.

Any thoughts on one vs the other would be appreciated.

If you tow it regularly get a bunk trailer. Wheels out wider = much more stable for trips. We've had two this year that were coming in for service that called and cancelled because they tipped their scissor trailer over.

If you tow occasionally, ever need to drop it on the ground, or need the height lowered to get it into storage get the scissor.

We sell roughly equal numbers of both.

With a double deck it may feel very tipsy on the scissor trailer so if you need one you may look at heavy spring rate on it. The bunk is the way to go if you do not need to drop it on the ground. But if you are concerned with the launch that could be another problem.  My ski partner and I share A trailer and I drop mine on some wheeled carts made for the toons  and roll it into my garage. As with most things you can get a cheep trailer or a better one ours ran $1,400 its a nice trailer scissor.

I think for me if I thought I may take it on road trips I would stay with a conventional pontoon. For me on my lake I have two bridges both require even the Bimini to be doped to go under. But a  double deck will be a hassle for road trips. It will require out door storage if you don't have A very tall building.  

I did end up buying the boat, and I went with the float on. I was too nervous to do a 2 hour tow on the highway without it. On the trailer it is about 12.5 ft tall (shorter then most semis). Which means it's fine for highway overpasses but need to be careful in town. It towed great and I got it into my lake fine, but we will see how it turns out when the lake drops this fall. Might have to borrow a scissor trailer if it gets bad. I figure if I don't end up taking it on trips or it is a hassle every fall I'll sell the trailer take my loss and find a lift trailer.

Yes the 30hp is pretty small but I would guess you can do about 10mph with it (no speedometer). I'll check with my phone for you guys some time. I still have my Malibu so this is more of a swim raft/cruiser for the family to play on and grandparents to take a ride. I'll admit I always have said I want a small engine double story pontoon, and so far I still really like it (5 days in lol).

Thanks for the advice guys. Always feels better to make a decision with some extra brain power!

On 7/25/2018 at 8:46 AM, tdelandsheer said:

I did end up buying the boat, and I went with the float on. I was too nervous to do a 2 hour tow on the highway without it. On the trailer it is about 12.5 ft tall (shorter then most semis). Which means it's fine for highway overpasses but need to be careful in town. It towed great and I got it into my lake fine, but we will see how it turns out when the lake drops this fall. Might have to borrow a scissor trailer if it gets bad. I figure if I don't end up taking it on trips or it is a hassle every fall I'll sell the trailer take my loss and find a lift trailer.

Yes the 30hp is pretty small but I would guess you can do about 10mph with it (no speedometer). I'll check with my phone for you guys some time. I still have my Malibu so this is more of a swim raft/cruiser for the family to play on and grandparents to take a ride. I'll admit I always have said I want a small engine double story pontoon, and so far I still really like it (5 days in lol).

Thanks for the advice guys. Always feels better to make a decision with some extra brain power!

If it does not work out I bet you would not have a problem finding someone with a  scissor trailer to swap with. Ore even do a share so you would have a good travel trailer and a good trailer for quick pull outs.