Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Weirdest thing happened with Speedo

Just thought I'd share this.  I had just done a tune up, new cap, rotor, plugs and wires.  I take the boat out and can't go above 28 mph, I'm thinking, great, which wire did I screw up and/or how many cylinders am I actually running on.  But then I notice rpm's are ~5300.  So I GPS it and indeed I'm actually going 39, normal top speed.  Then my immediate assumption is the paddlewheel broke a blade a few weeks ago when my cable lift failed and collapsed with me on it and the boat raked sideways across the bunks as it fell into the water, I'm missing 3 chunks of gelcoat because of this mishap but that's another story.  Anyways, I order up a paddlewheel kit from skidim, and head to the boat a few days later to install.  I raise the boat up high enough that I can float under it on a 4-person tube to do the repair (little eerie considering the recent events) and notice all the blades are present but the curved part of the blade is facing the bow.  How in the world could that happen?  I tried spinning it in the housing with a screw driver and needle nose pliers to no avail.  So I hopped back in the boat, swapped paddle wheels and shaft making sure the cupped part of the wheel faced the bow, lubed up the assembly and re-installed.  Measures speed perfectly now.  WEIRD!!

I have done work under my boat on the lift but the first thing I do is add heavy duty ratchet straps around the cradle so if anything might happen I have one more system holding weight.  As said  little eerie . 

• Like 3

I'm glad you are ok. 

I'll say I'm a bit disappointed after reading the title that your story doesn't even include the weird part about your euro-style swimsuit.... :whistle:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, justgary said:

I'm glad you are ok. 

I'll say I'm a bit disappointed after reading the title that your story doesn't even include the weird part about your euro-style swimsuit.... :whistle:

Yeah, pics or it didn't happen - oh never mind, supposed to be a family friendly forum

On 7/20/2018 at 6:24 PM, justgary said:

I'm glad you are ok. 

speedo...meter...and paddle wheel.  :biggrin: