Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 23 LSV FAE Review

bbattiste247

I am very pleased with the results of my Fresh Air Exhaust. Although I purchased it in March, I just put it on yesterday and it did not take long to install at all. Once I knew what I was doing, the installation was very easy. One of the reasons I didn't put it on for several months was that I was afraid there would be too many side effects and I wouldn't like it. But, no it works just as they say it would. 

PROS

No more visible exhaust.

It is quieter while surfing. I can hear the music much more clearly and it doesn't need to be super loud. Although, the cabin noise did not change and may even be just a little louder. 

Very easy to install! Don't hesitate because it is easy to do and I had confidence that I did it correctly. No problems today and we were out all day. 

Economical - I think I will put it on my next Malibu rather than purchasing the Bu surfpipe.

Looks good.

SIDE EFFECTS

Loss of power, but very little. It did not increase the RPMs, but it was more difficult to reach some surf speeds while loaded down and 4-5 people in the boat. 

Slight bit of spray on surf wave, but did not effect or change it at all.

Significant amount of spray behind boat while pulling a wakeboarder at 22 mph. If they ride a short rope, it may interfere with their path. Not a big deal for us since we mainly surf.

Pictures please!   I have the Bu surf pipe on my 16.  No complaints.  Do not see the spray issues you are referring to.    Agree with the pros.  Love having the surf pipe. 

Surf_Pipe.thumb.JPG.ad907a78e287e3e03f7f042f2a39fbba.JPG

Edited by ORMailbuboater

Love the surf pipe / FAE! Sooooo much better experience!

I would prefer to get the Malibu surf pipe with the boat. After discounts it's just a little more then FAE and you get the 5 year warranty. Plus, now with PW3, it's even more concealed. :thumbup:

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Love the surf pipe / FAE! Sooooo much better experience!

I would prefer to get the Malibu surf pipe with the boat. After discounts it's just a little more then FAE and you get the 5 year warranty. Plus, now with PW3, it's even more concealed. :thumbup:

It does look damn sweet with the new PW.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

It does look damn sweet with the new PW.

Oh, I forgot. I think surfpipe is standard with the PW3 now? I don't even think you can opt-out of surfpipe?

8 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Oh, I forgot. I think surfpipe is standard with the PW3 now? I don't even think you can opt-out of surfpipe?

Correct.

If the boat gets the PW3, it has the SP.

Surf pipe is a better design than the FAE.  Spray is a problem, which is why I created a surf mat for my boat, as it destroyed the surf wave.

As for power, do a muffler delete and that will help.  

34 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Surf pipe is a better design than the FAE.  Spray is a problem, which is why I created a surf mat for my boat, as it destroyed the surf wave.

How much does that increase the noise?

FWIW I installed a Malibu surf pipe on a 2016 LSV.  When you convert to the surf pipe from the standard exhaust you remove the baffle in the exhaust to a straight open pipe.  You actually get better flow up the actual pipe than without the surf pipe.  The baffle indmar uses on standard exhaust is quite constrictive.  After seeing the entire exhaust dismantled I will say my gut tells me you might get better flow with a Malibu surf pipe over the standard exhaust.

• Like 1
On 7/20/2018 at 8:15 PM, Nitrousbird said:

All factory 'bu surf pipes have the muffler deleted. There is too much back pressure if you keep the muffler on it.

2 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

All factory 'bu surf pipes have the muffler deleted. There is too much back pressure if you keep the muffler on it.

Is a muffler delete a fairly easy process?

47 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

Is a muffler delete a fairly easy process?

Yep. Just unhook the clamps and pull it out. Section of exhaust hose goes straight from the engine side pipe to the flange on the surf pipe.