Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water pouring out of engine in 2009 Indmar - 'What is this?'

Pulled the boat out of storage today to put in the water (I know late in the season this year) and ran into trouble with the engine  .On the under side of the engine, there are four plugs, two on each side.  They are about 1.5 inches in diameter.  The plug on the driver's side toward the back, right under where the engine is bolted to the boat, the plug is gone!  When I start the boat, water pours out of it.  This also means that no water is making it up to the manifolds to cool.  What is this plug, how did it "fall out" and where can I get another, if I can even do this repair on my own.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by dbashley

Sounds like a freeze plug...... 

But i could be wrong.

If its a freeze plug, replacing it isn't too hard, but it may indicate other problems that could be just a lot more serious.

That is a "freeze" plug.  It should be laying in the bottom of the boat. 

Unfortunately, it probably happened because water froze in the block.  If so, things may not be good. 

Sounds like it was not drained or winterized and the block froze. you will most likely have damage to the block. Maybe heads and exhaust  system if it was not winterized.

Hmmm.  Before we jump to the conclusion that his engine block is cracked we might want to assume that whoever winterized the boat might have just forgotten to put the plug back in.  If that is not the case then panic.

28 minutes ago, Awest said:

Hmmm.  Before we jump to the conclusion that his engine block is cracked we might want to assume that whoever winterized the boat might have just forgotten to put the plug back in.  If that is not the case then panic.

wheres the fun in that............the sky is always falling........LOL

@dbashley find or replace the freeze plug and see what happens.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I winterized the boat the same as I always have,  drain the hoses and then run antifreeze through the system.  I don't usually drain the block.....

I have ordered the parts and we will see how it goes.  Unfortunately, it is the plug that is hardest to access, on the alternator side directly behind the engine mount.  Can you tell me how much "force" is generally needed to put one of these back in?  I won't be able to use a mallet or anything like that.

Thanks,

Daniel

It will need a lot of force - hammer type of force.  Though commonly referred to as freeze plugs, that is not their purpose/intention - they are there to cover the holes needed for the casting process of the block.

It is HIGHLY likely you did not properly winterize your motor and this is the result.  Feel very luck if all you need to do is install a new plug.  Drain your block going forward following Indmar's procedure.  

In tight places you can use the rubber core/freeze plugs. Pop it in and use a box wrench to tighten it. Napa sells them. They work really well and I have been using same one for 4 or 5 years on my 81 Mastercraft. It’s not a high pressure area and it seals fine. It corroded one winter and was located by the engine mount, inaccessible for a hammer to drive in a new one. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, tex599 said:

In tight places you can use the rubber core/freeze plugs. Pop it in and use a box wrench to tighten it. Napa sells them. They work really well and I have been using same one for 4 or 5 years on my 81 Mastercraft. It’s not a high pressure area and it seals fine. It corroded one winter and was located by the engine mount, inaccessible for a hammer to drive in a new one. 

I’d try this route. Our Camero spit one out when it set too long. Put a rubber one back in. No issues. Even did a burn out to make sure it was ok.

22 hours ago, Awest said:

Ypu dont remove core plugs to winterize, things are damn near impossible to remove intentionally without drilling a hole in them and using a pullet. 

• 3 years later...

Same thing happened to me, fired it up this weekend (2nd time out this season) noticed the bilge pump non stop while leaving the no wake.  When I opened the hatch she had about a foot of water in the bottom and it looked like a fire hose spraying from the engine.  It's at the dealer now, awaiting the news.  Will update when I hear something...

Edited by usthodav
  • Sad 2

Update, problem was an expansion plug in the exhaust manifold. Dealer that winterized the boat took care of it for free, boat ran great all weekend so I believe problem is resolved. 

• Like 3