Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boatmate trailer wheel / fender upgrade - how to video

Imracin68j

Drug my 15 year old daughter out in the Bakersfield Heat to knock this out today.  Everything went together well.  Here's a how to video.  

Edited by Imracin68j

Nice video!  I totally regret not spending the extra money and getting the 18s.  I would love to do this.  You said in the video, the wheels were around $100 bucks per.  On the boatmate site, I’m seeing them for $240 each.  Where do you find them for $100?

9 minutes ago, Imracin68j said:

I think they are 140-150.  I'm going to get another wheel for backup, I'll let you know. 

Sounds good.  That’s a nice looking wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not sure.  I think they have two sizes. Call Boatmate and give your vin.  I will say this.  18s tow way better than 14s.  No bounce. 

18 hours ago, Imracin68j said:

I’m not sure.  I think they have two sizes. Call Boatmate and give your vin.  I will say this.  18s tow way better than 14s.  No bounce. 

I have a SMP trailer (who is no longer in the boat trailer business)...so no giving the trailer ID.  

Did you have contact with a certain person there?  Last time I tried (couple years ago), I didn't get a good response from them.  Also, did you pay additional for the backer boards for the fenders?  I am assuming so.

Yes I did on the backer. He took measurements for me. I can measure the length and width later   It bolted right in. 

Edited by Imracin68j
On 7/18/2018 at 9:57 PM, SCMike said:

Sounds good.  That’s a nice looking wheel.

On 7/18/2018 at 9:47 PM, Imracin68j said:

I think they are 140-150.  I'm going to get another wheel for backup, I'll let you know. 

Any update on this?  

Total width bottom to bottom is 65 - From bolt hole to bolt hole it's 62.  Bolt hole width is 4 inches.  They are slotted so you can probably +1/-1 inch on that 4 inch.  Width of the new one is 11 inch to the old 9 inch.  Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, Imracin68j said:

Total width bottom to bottom is 65 - From bolt hole to bolt hole it's 62.  Bolt hole width is 4 inches.  They are slotted so you can probably +1/-1 inch on that 4 inch.  Width of the new one is 11 inch to the old 9 inch.  Hope that helps.

That does help.  I think I'll order them unpainted and DIY the paint.  My application puts them pretty freaking tight to the boat to work, so I have to ensure a perfect fit, which means I may need to grind out those slots further.  Plus I may rhino line the insides of them as well...I'm not great at paint work but think I can manage a couple of fenders.

My current fenders, which are jacked up at this point, are 7" tapering down to 9".  I made spacers and created the width needed to barely clear the tires, with a rub from time to time, but they haven't held up.  Time to do it right.