Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Modify rear engine vents to eliminate water coming in?

Brodie

I'm sure this has been covered, but I am unable to find much, so:  I would like to either plug or modify the 4 rear engine vents on my 02 VLX  due to water coming in after slowing down while surfing.  I am very conscious about easing off the throttle, as well as turning the boat sideways, but I still get a fair amount of water coming in.  I was thinking of either plugging the vents, or putting up some sort of shield (only needs to be 2-3" high) to protect that area.  I'm also planning to put some adhesive foam strips, or velcro at the very back of the locker doors(to fill the gap between the door and stern gelcoat) to eliminate water coming in there as well.  Any thoughts or links to other threads about this?  

Edited by Brodie

After the surfer falls and i'm slowing down, i wait until the hull becomes more level with the water, then bump the throttle forward a little to "scoot" the boat faster than the rollers coming behind the boat. After i do this and go back to idle, i just slowly turn to the right and I never have any issues. Although, when I try to teach this to the other drivers in my family, they always have water come over the back onto the sun pad area. I think i will cut a rectangular foam piece and shove it in between the went holes and the engine cover only when surfing.

17 minutes ago, jaciche said:

After the surfer falls and i'm slowing down, i wait until the hull becomes more level with the water, then bump the throttle forward a little to "scoot" the boat faster than the rollers coming behind the boat. After i do this and go back to idle, i just slowly turn to the right and I never have any issues. Although, when I try to teach this to the other drivers in my family, they always have water come over the back onto the sun pad area. I think i will cut a rectangular foam piece and shove it in between the went holes and the engine cover only when surfing.

yep, this is pretty much exactly what I do as well.  However, no one else can seem to master this, so when I'm surfing it's more of an issue.

14 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@Brodie:  You don't want to eliminate the air escape path for the bilge / engine compartment, you need to maintain a path for fumes to be vented to atmosphere.

Yes, agreed.  My thought was to add some sort of splash guard that was 2-3" high that kept water from rolling into those vents, but still allowed air flow?

On 7/19/2018 at 8:38 AM, Brodie said:

Yes, agreed.  My thought was to add some sort of splash guard that was 2-3" high that kept water from rolling into those vents, but still allowed air flow?

What about rigging up some check valves connected to the underside of the current vents? That way you wont see them?

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-a-One-Way-Check-Valve-For-Cheap/

Just an idea....

The older seadoos had a rear air vent box that sat  below the seat at the stern of the watercraft.  They had a float system in them with Styrofoam to prevent water from coming into the hull but still vent the engine.  Not sure if you could add a flapper like the exhaust or a float like stop to prevent the water from coming in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/93-SP-SEADOO-Rear-Air-Vent-Box-Plastic-Tube-Ventilation-GTX-GTS-Airbox-XP-90-91-/261153536094