Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 23 lsv or 2018 Axis A24

cptotr

Having a hard time deciding which direction to go. After owning a 2016 Axis T23 for a couple years I’m ready to do something different. 2:1 transmission, 17” prop, power wedge, and supposedly great surf wake on the 2018 A24 make it pretty enticing to go that route. However, I'm honestly just tired of the fit and finish, all the plastic, and the overall paint scheme of the axis. I've already had it and am just over it for the time being.  For those reasons, I've started to consider the 23 lsv. I'm ok spending the extra money to get all the things that come with the Malibu. However, I'm just not sure about the surf wave. The wave is probably the most important factor for me on this new purchase. I have 2 questions. 

Will there be much/any noticeable difference in surf wave from the 2016 T23 to 2018 23 LSV?

How much better is the 2018 Axis A24 surf wave than the 2018 23 LSV if any?

I appreciate everyone's response in advance. Just trying to get the opinions of the guys that know first hand to save me some time and effort before we run out of summer. I've already sold my boat and don't want to be without one much longer!

I bet the A24 surf wave is better then the 23LSV. But, it sounds like you want to step up in the luxuries that Malibu provides. The 23LSV is a great surf boat, no doubt, and resale is usually better on Malibu. The 23LSV is the #1 selling inboard in the industry. 

Thanks a lot Justin. I appreciate your input. That helps a bunch. The lines have blurred a lot both on features and price since I've bought my first Axis and it's making the decision that much harder. The easy answer for me is buy the Malibu because I am ready to have a "nicer" boat with some more options, however there is still a 30k price difference and it is making it difficult to take the leap. Yeah maybe you get some of it back on resale, but I'm almost certain that spread narrows as the boat ages. 

I went back and forth on this last fall and went 23 lsv. My price delta bewtween the two was much less than 30k. I found I had to check a lot more boxes on the axis to get up to the standard features on the Malibu. I do wish for 17” prop and 2:1 on the LSV, by far my biggest complaint when comparing the two (aside from the fugly dash and tower on axis). 

Edited by Pnwrider
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2018 at 10:50 AM, JustinHarrelson said:

I just sold my 2018 LSV and my buddy has the 2018 A24 (These are the boats I ride most). Neither of us go complete bonkers slamming our boats. We both run stock Ballast +550s PNP, wedge in 2-3 depending on amount of riders and have 400# of lead stashed forward as needed (mine is under the dash and his is further up in the bow). IMO, the surf wave is better in the LSV and wakeboard wake is better in the A24, but they are both very close. The wakeboard wake is bigger in the 23, but there is something about the A24 that clicks a little better with my style. All that said, I am primarily a wakeboarder and I am on order for a 2019 23LSV. The 23LSV is just a more comfortable boat and by the time you outfit an A24 with everything I want in a boat, the gap in price really narrows up.

I've been wakeboarding 25 years, I'm an expert level rider and I'm on my 9th Malibu. I've never owned an Axis, but the addition of the power wedge for 2018 does make your decision 100x harder. Everything considered, these are my two favorite boats for 2018 across all brands.

I find myself in this predicament now. Wakeboarding is the use. As of now I'm leaning toward a 2018 A24. Pretty awesome you had the two boats side by side to help you with the decision.