Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Going Without Dash speakers?

Arick

In My 07 Sunscape 21, I am wanting to add bow speakers.  I currently have four cabin speakers and no bow speakers.  I was tossing around the idea of adding bow speakers and unplugging the dash speakers...  Thinking that the 2 cabin speakers would be enough to supply the whole cabin.  I plan on going with JL M 6.5s.

Thoughts?  Am I way off my rocker here in thinking the 2 cabin speakers would be enough?

2 hours ago, MLA said:

Unplug them and hit the lake for the weekend and see. 

I don't have bow speakers, so I don't think it would be a fair comparison 

3 hours ago, Arick said:

and unplugging the dash speakers...  Thinking that the 2 cabin speakers would be enough to supply the whole cabin.

Commenting on your opening post. if you think the one pair in the main cabin is enough without the dash speakers, then unplug the dash speakers and see. 

Can you hear your cabin speakers when you're in the bow?

You probably won't hear your bow speakers when in the cabin.  I'd suspect you won't like it without the dash speakers.  That sets up a really nice soundstage having those on the dash.

Dash speakers overpower everything.  I would leave them in but turn the gains down so that they "balance" with the cabin speakers.  Front speakers don't make much of a difference from the cockpit.

• Like 1

Wasn't there a "How To" thread on adding bow speakers? Seems like I saw 1 quite a while back. I'd like to find it again.

I never felt the need for bow speakers personally. I'd rather have the dash speakers, though as said above they need to be gained down to match the other speakers. 

To be honest, I don't even use the in boat speakers half the time.  When boarding, the tower speakers are loud enough I don't want more sound in the boat.  When swimming, I don't waste the power on the in boats when I'm not in there. 

On 7/17/2018 at 9:42 PM, UWSkier said:

Can you hear your cabin speakers when you're in the bow?

You probably won't hear your bow speakers when in the cabin.  I'd suspect you won't like it without the dash speakers.  That sets up a really nice soundstage having those on the dash.

Good point, I haven't experimented with that yet.  Maybe as suggested below I'll turn the gain down.

On 7/18/2018 at 11:48 AM, Fffrank said:

Dash speakers overpower everything.  I would leave them in but turn the gains down so that they "balance" with the cabin speakers.  Front speakers don't make much of a difference from the cockpit.

Ahh good point.

Do you think I can mix and match speakers?  Put a pair of JL MX 6.5 in the dash and JL 6.5 Ms everywhere else?  its such a price difference and I'm trying to spend wisely.

8 minutes ago, Arick said:

Do you think I can mix and match speakers?  Put a pair of JL MX 6.5 in the dash and JL 6.5 Ms everywhere else?  its such a price difference and I'm trying to spend wisely.

Those 2 models sound quite different. If you place two pair on the same area of the boat, you could very well hone in on the difference. 2nd, The MX is actually the better sounding of the two, IMO. I would stick with the M series for all locations.