Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Titan 3 tower on 06 Wakesetter VLX

Kalan

Hey looking at buying my first Malibu, was curious when they got rid of the Titan 3 on the Wakesetter VLX. Looking at an 2006 with one on it. Just looking  for pros and cons, and when they switch to Illusion?

Both towers were available on that year.  I think most here would say the Titan 3 is superior to the illusion.  I'd say the only con on the Titan 3 vs Illusion is that it has 4 legs which puts the forward ones in your view from the helm.  It's a rock solid tower and if it was still available many would want it.

Yeah I bought all that hype back in the day when my first boat had a Titan.  Now I have an Illusion and have no complaints other than bushings are in my near future.  There was no mistaking a malibu with an illusion tower for anything else on the water back in the mid-late 2000's.  Parts and accessories are easier to source imo.  The Titan is bullet proof but my nod would go to the Illusion.  

11 minutes ago, Kalan said:

Hey looking at buying my first Malibu, was curious when they got rid of the Titan 3 on the Wakesetter VLX. Looking at an 2006 with one on it. Just looking  for pros and cons, and when they switch to Illusion?

8 minutes ago, Molarbu said:

Both towers were available on that year.  I think most here would say the Titan 3 is superior to the illusion.  I'd say the only con on the Titan 3 vs Illusion is that it has 4 legs which puts the forward ones in your view from the helm.  It's a rock solid tower and if it was still available many would want it.

4 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

Yeah I bought all that hype back in the day when my first boat had a Titan.  Now I have an Illusion and have no complaints other than bushings are in my near future.  There was no mistaking a malibu with an illusion tower for anything else on the water back in the mid-late 2000's.  Parts and accessories are easier to source imo.  The Titan is bullet proof but my nod would go to the Illusion.  

You know, I would quietly sit in the background and wonder when my Illusion was going to blow up because of all the Titan hype and complaints about the Illusion.  I have replaced bushings one time in 12  years and that was during a short stint of pulling the tube from the tower ha ha!  I've since repented and use the rear tow point.  I also don't have speakers, lights, quad racks, etc on my Illusion either so that probably helps.  I don't have any complaints at all, but I wanted the OP to understand that the Titan isn't a downgrade from the Illusion either. 

• Like 3
On 7/17/2018 at 4:55 PM, Molarbu said:

You know, I would quietly sit in the background and wonder when my Illusion was going to blow up because of all the Titan hype and complaints about the Illusion.  I have replaced bushings one time in 12  years and that was during a short stint of pulling the tube from the tower ha ha!  I've since repented and use the rear tow point.  I also don't have speakers, lights, quad racks, etc on my Illusion either so that probably helps.  I don't have any complaints at all, but I wanted the OP to understand that the Titan isn't a downgrade from the Illusion either. 

Yeah, I think the Titan was actually an upcharge of $6-800 back then.

Ditto....never had an issue with my Illusion.  Never replaced bushings to date and no squeaks or rattles.  Even though it seems like every bowrider on the planet now has the forward swooping tower I still like the way mine looks on the boat.

I had a Titan III and it was awesome.  The speakers are placed more to the rear, so if loud speakers are part of your package, the Titan is 100 times better than having speakers screaming at everyone inside the boat.  It is a rock solid tower.  I would also factor in if you are going to want a bigger bimini.  The larger bimini on the Titan I owned was pretty sweet.  The titan you are looking at might have a different bimini.  The illusion bimini always reminds me of a little spaceship on top of the tower for some reason.   It is very easy to put a mirror on the front tower leg of the Titan, and with the illusion, it has to dangle from the top of the tower, or on the windshield.  

My buddy's Illusion always rocked back and forth, and he must have replaced the bushings wrong, because it still moved after that.  

Can you add more racks to the illusion?  I like the fact that I can bolt whatever I want to the titan.  

4 racks, bikini, wetsounds and a mirror 

http://imgur.com/9s46YdA

It sounds like people are happy with the illusion also so I dont think I'd let it influence my buying decision at all.  If comparing 2 boats I'd go with the better maintained one.  

Edited by Gavin17
  • 3 weeks later...

I had that choice in 2006 on my vlx.  Went with the Titan for look, but also the length of the illusion where it mounts blocks you from climbing in and out off the trailer fender.