Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21mlx

AJK

It definitely depends on the dealer for negotiating the price.  I bought a 21 VLX last year and I had two dealers tell me they didn't have any room to drop the price because the 21 VLX is a "nationally advertised price."  After shopping online in a 3 hour radius I was able to find a dealer come down on price and another dealer that was willing to match it.  Keep trying and somebody will knock something off the price, but also be ready for the answer I got about it being a "nationally advertised price."  I bought mine around this time last year so you are almost getting to the point where they want to start moving inventory.  

My '18 21 VLX spits out an awesome wave.  You need the bow weight though lengthen the wave.  Once you find that magic combination its awesome!

• Like 2

I haven't been on a 21 MLX yet but a surfing buddy has been surfing a mutual acquaintance's new 21 MLX and is really happy with the wave. 

On price, everything is negotiable but in this market the buyer has less leverage than some years. Locally, the 2018 23 LSVs are sold out and the dealer only has a few other 2018 Malibus left, so if someone in this area wants to negotiate in the middle of summer they might be able to get a free board thrown in but not a whole lot more. 

1 hour ago, AJK said:

Thanks for your response. Are you happy with your VLX? Any regrets? How does it surf?

So far I love my VLX.  Mine is a 2017.  I had a couple of sensors that had to be replaced shortly after I got my boat.  I got my boat from Tommy's in Grand Rapids, MI and they came to me to replace the sensors pretty quickly. 

The wake is great, but I agree with Blenderhead about adding additional bow weight to lengthen the wake.  My boat came with additional rear ballast bags so keep an eye on that when buying your boat.  Mine was included in the price.  I am not sure if they were an option or not, but either way I got them.  I think I was able to get the price down about $2500 compared to other dealers I looked at.  

Have any of you had expierence with the steering  pulling and having to fight with it when you are surfing? Mastercraft was telling us how terrible that was as opposed to their boat. 

51 minutes ago, AJK said:

Have any of you had expierence with the steering  pulling and having to fight with it when you are surfing? Mastercraft was telling us how terrible that was as opposed to their boat. 

I'm sure MC will tell you a lot of things, lol.

Pull is no different than any other boat I have been on.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
  • Like 3
59 minutes ago, AJK said:

It pulls when you first activate or switch sides on the surfgate, which is normal, but nothing after that.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AJK said:

LOL.. hmm... Demo both and see for yourself. All VDrives have the same propulsion  and steering setup. One could state that device to create the wake will cause steering issues... However all of them are in the water creating a disturbance of the steering in some way. I have driven them all... and all about the same.. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, AJK said:

The only "pull" is a momentary one as the Surf Gate deploys at around 7mph for a few seconds.... after that its back tracking straight.    And like @23LSVOwner mentioned....  MC will tell you anything you want to hear to buy their boat. lol

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Blenderhead said:

The only "pull" is a momentary one as the Surf Gate deploys at around 7mph for a few seconds.... after that its back tracking straight.    And like @23LSVOwner mentioned....  MC will tell you anything you want to hear to buy their boat. lol

100% what he said.  I can let go of my wheel with the surf gate deployed and it will track perfectly straight.  

It will pull a bit when surfing regular/left but it’s nothing that will bother you, and like the others said above, it will track straight without any pull when surfing goofy/right. Either way, there’s definitely no “fight” involved and the surfgates close when you drop a surfer and power down.

I’d be more focused on the wave comparison so demo both and then decide.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, SCMike said:

100% what he said.  I can let go of my wheel with the surf gate deployed and it will track perfectly straight.  

I can do this goofy but not regular.  It’s not an annoyingly hard pull tho

7 minutes ago, NWBU said:

It will pull a bit when surfing regular/left but it’s nothing that will bother you, and like the others said above, it will track straight without any pull when surfing goofy/right. Either way, there’s definitely no “fight” involved and the surfgates close when you drop a surfer and power down.

I’d be more focused on the wave comparison so demo both and then decide.

Same

• Like 2

Purchased the MLX in February and we have been very happy with it. The wave for surfing or boarding is great. Touch screen is great and easy to operate. It does need some weight in the bow for a longer wave, not required, but we just throw a couple of people up there. Make sure you get the PNP bags for the rear as you will want those. As others have stated the only pull you feel when steering is when the gate first deploys, but then tracks pretty straight. We have about 120hrs so far and zero issues with the boat. They are having to order me a new cover as the one it came with does not fit correctly.  Dealer has been great as well. We did test drive 2 Mastercrafts (NXT 22 and XT20),was not all that impressed with the wave. They do recommend extra lead bags for a better wake, did not want to mess with that. Having always owned Mastercrafts, glad we went with the Malibu, it is an impressive boat. I will say fuel burn during surfing on the Malibu is probably higher then either MC due to surfgate and wedge. We have the base 6.2l motor which has been great and really simple to maintain. Let me know if you have any specific questions on the MLX. 

3 hours ago, Lees23 said:

Weird... my 22VLX pulls hard when surfing reg.  The more weight, the more that it pulls. 

48 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Ya. There's definitely a pull once that surfgate goes out. Regular side seems worse. I can't let go of the wheel. No system is perfect. It's worth it though.  

They all do.. it is prop rotation enhancing the effect.. and the more weight the more it is there.. more weight = higher rpm = more prop torque to fight

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Lees23 said:

Weird... my 22VLX pulls hard when surfing reg.  The more weight, the more that it pulls. 

Mine does too, have you tried goofy though?