Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do I fix rattling cup holder pocket on 247 LSV

One of my cup holder pockets rattles like crazy.  The other side is reasonably solid.  I've tried feeling around to see if it's missing a screw or clip but without taking the upholstery apart I can't really see anything missing.  Any tips on what I can do to fix it?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/en7hHfpbMcEK1JsF9

IMG_9163.jpg

Had the same issue in my 07 VTX.  On mine I think I either reached around or over it or up from in under the seat base in front of it and stuffed a piece of a pool noodle behind it.  Could not find the attachment points either.

14 hours ago, bscheper said:

Had the same issue in my 07 VTX.  On mine I think I either reached around or over it or up from in under the seat base in front of it and stuffed a piece of a pool noodle behind it.  Could not find the attachment points either.

Thinking back, when I purchased the boat and started looking it over I found an empty beer can back up there and just thought it randomly got there by being blown around or something.  Wonder if the previous owner was using it to stop the rattle.  I like the pool noodle idea better.  I think that will be the solution for the remainder of the season at least.  Thanks for the tip.

18 hours ago, browneye253 said:

One of my cup holder pockets rattles like crazy.  The other side is reasonably solid.  I've tried feeling around to see if it's missing a screw or clip but without taking the upholstery apart I can't really see anything missing.  Any tips on what I can do to fix it?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/en7hHfpbMcEK1JsF9

IMG_9163.jpg

Does the rattle sound like washers bouncing freely on a threaded stud?  My chrome emblem had a loose nut that I couldn't figure out for 5 years until I re-did the vinyl this winter.  Is there an access hole above that emblem that you could reach up, over, and down to feel around for any loose nuts?

1 hour ago, Ndawg12 said:

Does the rattle sound like washers bouncing freely on a threaded stud?  My chrome emblem had a loose nut that I couldn't figure out for 5 years until I re-did the vinyl this winter.  Is there an access hole above that emblem that you could reach up, over, and down to feel around for any loose nuts?

The entire black pocket is loose.  You hear some metal sound but pretty sure it's more from the cup holders.  I'll double check the mounting hardware on the metal emblem to confirm.  There are access holes to the top.  

20 minutes ago, wdr said:

Might be the panel attachment points above both handles. Our MY's are notorious for those things breaking where they connect by the upper handle.

Guessing it's something that was molded in and can't be easily replaced? 

5 hours ago, browneye253 said:

Guessing it's something that was molded in and can't be easily replaced? 

Easily fixed. Basically just a backing plate placed over the top of that section where the retention holes cracked through. Some of us just said to hell with it and used zip ties. Not so easily or cheaply replaced. You might be able to get replacement panels from Malibu before their 7 year upholstery statute of limitations runs out. Thin plastic panel that will eventually break again if not reengineered. JM2C

Edited by wdr