Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LSV vs Nautique GS22 vs Retiring someday

ajive

A friend bought an XT22 last year. The surf wave behind it is exceptional. Very comparable to another friends G23. 

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, 3sport said:

As far as I know, PWII doesn't impact surfing any more than the original wedge and the '14 through '17 run the same hull, so they should be apples to apples when it comes to comparing surf wakes - no?  But you're right, with the changes to the latest LSV hull it isn't a proper comparison...

I’d strongly disagree with that. There is a significant difference in the surf wave between a PW1 2014 LSV and a PWII 2015 LSV weighted the same. The lift feature of PWII is out for debate. Most say it has zero impact for surfing some say it helps. 

10 hours ago, teamerickson said:

image.png.83163c9d70029fb45edc0485c9175dd2.png

Actually not joking. To be fair the one time I surfed the XT22 it was just stock ballast and about 5 adults in the boat. The G was stock ballast and more people. The G is better, but I was pretty impressed with the XT. 

14 hours ago, ajive said:

I've been watching available videos and the 18 LSV is clearly able to make a big, steep, long wave.  That's not what I always want, but it's fun to really push out to the flats sometimes just for show!  I haven't seen a GS with anything close visually, but it could feel better.  Guess I'll find out tonight.

Another question for current owners.  Is the 410 enough engine?  I just realized that it's 350 hp (I thought 410 represented the power... tricky marketing).  My monsoon 350 isn't able to hold surf speed sometimes when fully loaded.

The standard PCM in nautique is 409hp. 

Your Monsoon 350 is really 297 HP measured the same way as the 410.

15 hours ago, 3sport said:

he's running stock - i.e. no extra bags.  

14’lsv needs and wants a bunch of PNP weight and a 2315/2419 prop to push it. I’d put up the 14’ lsv wave properly weighted up against a GS anytime.

I haven’t surfed a GS And I agree with @Fman  above . I was not impressed  with the boat, granted I stepped out of a G25 (big ole beast) and into the GS22 and then Gs24 and was like Meh.... 

as far as the motor you will be fine with the 410 and 2:1 trans.

IMHO Malibu should have offered a 17in prop on the 23 this year and hopefully add it next year.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Stevo said:

14’lsv needs and wants a bunch of PNP weight and a 2315/2419 prop to push it. I’d put up the 14’ lsv wave properly weighted up against a GS anytime.

I haven’t surfed a GS And I agree with @Fman  above . I was not impressed  with the boat, granted I stepped out of a G25 (big ole beast) and into the GS22 and then Gs24 and was like Meh.... 

IMHO Malibu should have offered a 17in prop on the 23 this year and hopefully add it next year.

I was referring to the GS20 in saying he ran only stock.  As for the '14LSV, I'm not claiming to be a surf wave svengali, but in addition to stock I run 750s in the rear, 500lbs of lead, and a 650lb bow bag.  I try to run the surf-side locker bag a little fuller than the non-surf side to create a bit of a list.  Speed is 10.8 to 11.2.  If I try to run wedge 2 to 3 clicks up, I have trouble maintaining or hitting speed with the 409 and 2315 prop.  Elevation is about 1100 ft.  The wave is big and meaty (and long or steep depending on amount of wedge), but doesn't have the push of the GS.  That was my sole point in my original post - that the push of the GS was insane, especially for such a small boat.  But this is all moot as ahop was correct to point out that a '14 isn't comparable to the new LSVs.  I'm gonna try running a little less weight this year.  Cheers.

Edited by 3sport
mistakenly referred to 410 instead of 409

No issues with the raptor 410 in my 23 lsv. I’m close to sea level, but just got back from a week of boating between 2500-3000 feet of elevation. I run the bigger wakemakers plug and play (580s) and was able to plane out fully loaded (took awhile though) and had no issues loaded heavy for surfing. 

1 hour ago, Pnwrider said:

No issues with the raptor 410 in my 23 lsv. I’m close to sea level, but just got back from a week of boating between 2500-3000 feet of elevation. I run the bigger wakemakers plug and play (580s) and was able to plane out fully loaded (took awhile though) and had no issues loaded heavy for surfing. 

What's your surf ballast setup?

On 7/16/2018 at 7:33 PM, ajive said:

Well, I put down a deposit to hold a great looking LSV on the lot.  Still can bail if the GS happens to blow me away in performance but looking like I'll be a crew member for few more years!  If all goes well I'll be breaking her in Friday.

I love my Nautique, but it seems that the GS series has not been the winner overall they were hoping for.  It seems it doesn't do anything good enough to leave you satisfied.  I think it does boil down to you cannot have a boat that does everything well.  Buy a boat that does your primary activity best, and then live with tweaking the other things the best you can.   I have a buddy with a direct drive ski boat and it actually surfs pretty darn well when we sack it out.  It is not a G23 or LSV, but a very nice shaped, surfable wave.  

Nautique has a 5 year warranty, so you are stuck with that dealer for a long time, and warranty issues are very likely to come up in the beginning and at the end.  When I leave Nauti (hint, hint) it will be because of the hard time I am having getting service done.  (I don't recall Malibu warranty).  But the point being that dealing with a dealer that isn't meeting your needs is super frustrating and you WILL need them eventually.   

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I love my Nautique, but it seems that the GS series has not been the winner overall they were hoping for.  It seems it doesn't do anything good enough to leave you satisfied.  I think it does boil down to you cannot have a boat that does everything well.  Buy a boat that does your primary activity best, and then live with tweaking the other things the best you can.   I have a buddy with a direct drive ski boat and it actually surfs pretty darn well when we sack it out.  It is not a G23 or LSV, but a very nice shaped, surfable wave.  

Nautique has a 5 year warranty, so you are stuck with that dealer for a long time, and warranty issues are very likely to come up in the beginning and at the end.  When I leave Nauti (hint, hint) it will be because of the hard time I am having getting service done.  (I don't recall Malibu warranty).  But the point being that dealing with a dealer that isn't meeting your needs is super frustrating and you WILL need them eventually.   

Malibu increased the warranty to 5 years as well, so I'll have another 5 years with my local "meh" dealer.  That was one of the biggest reasons I was shopping Natique.  But, I'm rolling the dice that I won't need them bad or a lot so that I can have a boat the performs the way I want it to!

FWIW, if I had a covered slip somewhere and and extra $50k I'd be all over the G23, but I have neither of those things.  I guess we all settle in some way... That's why there are billionaires building 300' yachts.  You could always have just a little better boat....

Still, I've been dreaming of an LSV since I had my first I/O runabout.  I'm pumped that things have gone well and I'm about to put one in my garage!

9 hours ago, Stevo said:

I was with @Stevo that night. He’s telling the truth. He really did say “meh” really loud. It was kind of embarrassing, to be honest. :rofl:

@Fman was also with us.  His advice on this topic is spot on. Don’t overthink this. Nautique is a one boat company (okay maybe two). I see a lot of people buying GS or 230 cuz they want the G but are scared to step up, so they “settle” for the lesser boat with the idea that it “should” perform like the big dog. Nope. Seeing a guy regret a six figure toy and take a bath in it a year later is a sad site, but I’ve witnessed it a bunch lately. Don’t be that guy. Either step up to the G23 or get the 23 LSV and save yourself $30k. 

That’s the nice thing about the current line up of Wakesetters. Pick a size and you’re done. No single boat gives up a lot to the biggest ones. They all good; all similar to eachother. 

Oh, and @3sport, the PWII is 20% bigger than the original PW. It makes a difference. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I was with @Stevo that night. He’s telling the truth. He really did say “meh” really loud. It was kind of embarrassing, to be honest. :rofl:

@Fman was also with us.  His advice on this topic is spot on. Don’t overthink this. Nautique is a one boat company (okay maybe two). I see a lot of people buying GS or 230 cuz they want the G but are scared to step up, so they “settle” for the lesser boat with the idea that it “should” perform like the big dog. Nope. Seeing a guy regret a six figure toy and take a bath in it a year later is a sad site, but I’ve witnessed it a bunch lately. Don’t be that guy. Either step up to the G23 or get the 23 LSV and save yourself $30k. 

That’s the nice thing about the current line up of Wakesetters. Pick a size and you’re done. No single boat gives up a lot to the biggest ones. They all good; all similar to eachother. 

Oh, and @3sport, the PWII is 20% bigger than the original PW. It makes a difference. 

What is the effect of the bigger PWII wedge vs the old wedge from a surfing perspective?  Does it allow you to create a steeper/lippier wake without using as much wedge?  I always thought of the PWII as a wakeboarding tool to help the boat get on plane when its all sacked out.  By the sounds of it my '14 with 409 couldn't handle the PWII as it can't or can barely handle the original.    

1 hour ago, 3sport said:

What is the effect of the bigger PWII wedge vs the old wedge from a surfing perspective?  Does it allow you to create a steeper/lippier wake without using as much wedge?  I always thought of the PWII as a wakeboarding tool to help the boat get on plane when its all sacked out.  By the sounds of it my '14 with 409 couldn't handle the PWII as it can't or can barely handle the original.    

You’re focusing on only one of the PWII benefits, the lift feature (which is great for wakeboarding heavy). The other benefit was the surface area increase. More surface area = more drag = more stern in the water = more water displaced = bigger wave with more push. The other benefit is each change in position has a more noticeable effect on the wave shape  

I noticed the difference going from my ‘14 to my ‘15. Also my ‘15 had the 409 and it was fine, but I was running a bow triangle (which I view as necessary on that hull)

• Like 3
5 hours ago, ajive said:

What's your surf ballast setup?

Fill all, wedge 2 clicks up, usually 4-6 adults and a few kids. Usually try and get one or two people to sit in the bow. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Fill all, wedge 2 clicks up, usually 4-6 adults and a few kids. Usually try and get one or two people to sit in the bow. 

Nice.  I should be rock solid then.  I ordered the larger pnp bags and have a 1000lb triangle.  If I can get away with a quick 500 in the bow or the standard 3 girls up there I'll be happy as a clam!  For the cost increased since my 2013 bags in the cabin should be unnecessary! 

Getting excited!