Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LSV vs Nautique GS22 vs Retiring someday

ajive

LOL, JK, it's between the LSV and the GS22!

So I've been pretty inactive on this site for a while, but fear not, I linger to keep tabs on all the new comings and goings of Malibu and to drool over everyone's boat orders every spring!  In the meantime, I added a kid to the family and my VTX just doesn't cut it anymore.  Great boat, but too small to fit a pack of 2-4 year olds and their parents.  So, I think this is the year I take my swing and get into a dream-boat.

I'm in the middle of the LSV and the GS22.  I'm not convinced if the GS can build the surf wake I want (we are 90% surf, 5% wake, 5% ski) but am going to demo it this week to find out.  Would be very interested if any of you have experience with this boat and how it does once dialed in (over in planet nautique the jury really seems to be out, but I'm not convinced many over there put in the time and experimentation that we do over here to get it just right).

As for the LSV, there is a fully loaded, acceptably colored one in stock that I could see in my garage for the next 5-10.  It would save me a not-insignificant amount of money and I know exactly what to expect in terms of the wave, the systems, and the overall quality.  Sounds like a no-brainer, but the wife and I both prefer the look and feel of the Nautique,  and the dealer is a huge upgrade... the Malibus sell themselves where I'm at the the dealer knows it.  After-sale service and communication does not come close to meeting my expectations.  

In regards to the current generation of Malibus, how is everything holding up?  In my boat's era (2013) I recall there being, and have experienced, some nits and picks on quality... touch screens going out, graphics peeling, stereo issues, etc.  Also, how has the raptor been performing and is there any negatives about getting one of the last ones before the block change again?

Any suggestions, experience, or commiseration is appreciated! 

If surf is your primary activity, I can’t see the GS22 winning out.

Quality is still good with Bu.  Yes, things crop up year to year and there are still some lemons out there.  But, I personally know of a few new Nautiques having some issues as well, so it isn’t limited to any one brand.  The interior fit and finish does seem to be a step up in  Nautique

I do love the Nautique captain chair, which looks like you can get in 2019 with Malibu.

Dealer could swing it.  But ask yourself if an additional XX dollars is worth buying from the other dealer for a boat that is a foot shorter (your crew isn’t going to get any smaller with kids now), and for a boat that I venture to say will never surf like a 23LSV.   

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

2019 captains chair is just like Nautiques. It’s very nice. I sat in it a lot on Friday. 

Lsv is going to beat the gs surfing everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Plus you get another foot of seating/storage. @G Spot skis his so many he can offer some insight for your 5% skiing. 

• Like 2

I’ve had my 2018 23 LSV since the end of April and been on it at least weekly since then. Have had a couple of very minor nits that the dealer has been all over to get fixed but no issues at all mechanically, with the screens or stereo system. I’m hearing of similar issues with the other brands the dealer sells too (Nautique, Supra, etc.) as every manufacturer is really cranking up production to meet demand.

The 410 has been a great engine for everyone I know with it and I don’t see any reason that having a late run of it would become an issue.

I really like the new 2018 hull changes for surfing and I don’t run bow or walkway weight anymore with this boat. Demo both and see what you think but I agree that you may lean to the LSV if surfing is really the majority of your time. 

1 hour ago, NWBU said:

I really like the new 2018 hull changes for surfing and I don’t run bow or walkway weight anymore with this boat. Demo both and see what you think but I agree that you may lean to the LSV if surfing is really the majority of your time. 

That's awesome to hear.  That's one of the goals of this purchase is to get out of the fat-sac game.  So do you just run full stock with pnp?

Yeah, full stock with PNP has been great for me. I generally run 75% in the rear, unless I have a full boat, and wedge 3 clicks from lift since I’ve found that to be our sweet spot. If I don’t have riders using both sides, I’ll fill the rear surfside to 100%.

You can get a marginally better wave with some bow or walkway weight on the ‘18 but that’s going to be true on any boat because of the extra displacement. However, my setup is still putting out a wave equal to or better than the ‘16/17’s I’ve been surfing with extra bow weight so I’m really happy not running extra bags this year.

Edited by NWBU
  • Like 2

Just checked out a GS 24, very clean and simple, probably same price as a loaded 23lsv just a ft bigger. Clean cup holders ad phone holders along the sides for all folks aboard..  is this their econo line that is not so econo?  Not a fan of the nose design but currios how they will surf.  Currious the real price Delta of the gs24 to a G23?

8 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Just checked out a GS 24, very clean and simple, probably same price as a loaded 23lsv just a ft bigger. Clean cup holders ad phone holders along the sides for all folks aboard..  is this their econo line that is not so econo?  Not a fan of the nose design but currios how they will surf.  Currious the real price Delta of the gs24 to a G23?

If you can pull the GS24 for the same price as the LSV I may need to drive to wherever your dealer is!  My experience has been  5-10k more for the GS22 vs LSV similarly loaded.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, RyanB said:

There is no way I would ever buy a boat from a dealer I already had reservations with.

I hear you.  And they aren't terrible, just don't have the customer service I expect for, frankly, what we spend with them.  I don't need a lot, but I expect my boat back clean and ready to go (the same condition that I bring it) and if the dealer makes an error I expect them to minimize my time to fix it (i.e., send the mechanic to me or come get the boat, don't ask me to make two more 1.5 round trips to correct your error).  I've stumbled into failure both of those conditions at least 3 times each and it just kinda rubs me the wrong way.  (The 3 errors of the shop are particularly concerning!)

They are all good folks, just don't understand how to provide high levels of service!

Is it the dealer in Tri Cities?  I spent some time trying to get an update for my cruise and I have never seen a service center less interested.  They even told me they didn't have Malibu when my boat was built so they didn't have access to any information.  Tried a couple different times to give benefit of doubt but same result.  It would scare me to have a boat under warranty and have to rely on them.  All that being said there are way more new Malibus on the river than anything else so it must not be a deal breaker for others, hopefully they get better service than I did.  

I’ve seen pics of the gs24 surf wake abdkt looks pretty darn good, at or above G levels. 

For me it would be a hard choice, I’d probably lean towards Malibu just because of the interiors. 

8 hours ago, ajive said:

If you can pull the GS24 for the same price as the LSV I may need to drive to wherever your dealer is!  My experience has been  5-10k more for the GS22 vs LSV similarly loaded.  

I think I saw list of the gs22 for 111k I just briefly walked by didn't check the specs. Figured a bit more for a gs24 .. of course those were list price so I'm not sure what percent off you could actually get for..

I ski my 2018 LSV regularly @ 34. I will try to get a video next time but it's not near as bad as I thought it would be. Initially ordered it with the torque prop (2247) but have since changed to the 2277, which provides better top end and still plenty of power for fully loaded surfing. I'm near sea level.

Haven't skied the GS22 however have observed they are very weight sensitive. If you demo, make sure you move people into a few configurations around the boat. I suspect resell will be hard with the GS boats. Just don't see much of them around here.

Edited by G Spot

I'll just ask this here cause it's not worth starting a new thread.  Do crew supporters still get a wakemakers discount?  I didn't see a link for it... Though I'm not up on my dues 🤫

ahopkins22LSV
42 minutes ago, ajive said:

Well, I put down a deposit to hold a great looking LSV on the lot.  Still can bail if the GS happens to blow me away in performance but looking like I'll be a crew member for few more years!  If all goes well I'll be breaking her in Friday.

Congrats!

37 minutes ago, ajive said:

I'll just ask this here cause it's not worth starting a new thread.  Do crew supporters still get a wakemakers discount?  I didn't see a link for it... Though I'm not up on my dues 🤫

Yes we do. Link shows up once you have paid I think. You are also going to need to be a supporter to directly upload pics of the new LSV!

• Like 2

My buddy's GS20 blows my '14 LSV with 409 out of the water in the "push" department.  The wave isn't nearly as tall and long, and you have to get use to the "trough" at the bottom, but the push is insane, especially for a 20 footer.  Can only assume the GS22 is even better.  My $0.02.

ahopkins22LSV

2014 LSV is basically 3 generations old now if you include PWII addition as a 'generation'. A 2018/19 LSV is completely different then a 2014 LSV. I would also not automatically assume a bigger boat is better. A bigger boat needs more weight to create the appropriate displacement to make a good wave. ie X46. I know that is much larger then the GS22 but just an example.

• Like 3

I've been watching available videos and the 18 LSV is clearly able to make a big, steep, long wave.  That's not what I always want, but it's fun to really push out to the flats sometimes just for show!  I haven't seen a GS with anything close visually, but it could feel better.  Guess I'll find out tonight.

Another question for current owners.  Is the 410 enough engine?  I just realized that it's 350 hp (I thought 410 represented the power... tricky marketing).  My monsoon 350 isn't able to hold surf speed sometimes when fully loaded.

The standard PCM in nautique is 409hp. 

2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

2014 LSV is basically 3 generations old now if you include PWII addition as a 'generation'. A 2018/19 LSV is completely different then a 2014 LSV. I would also not automatically assume a bigger boat is better. A bigger boat needs more weight to create the appropriate displacement to make a good wave. ie X46. I know that is much larger then the GS22 but just an example.

As far as I know, PWII doesn't impact surfing any more than the original wedge and the '14 through '17 run the same hull, so they should be apples to apples when it comes to comparing surf wakes - no?  But you're right, with the changes to the latest LSV hull it isn't a proper comparison...

2 hours ago, 3sport said:

My buddy's GS20 blows my '14 LSV with 409 out of the water in the "push" department.  The wave isn't nearly as tall and long, and you have to get use to the "trough" at the bottom, but the push is insane, especially for a 20 footer.  Can only assume the GS22 is even better.  My $0.02.

What kind of ballast setup is he running?