Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wake surf board upgrade

smc67

I'm on a sling shot cobra cat and pretty happy with it.  Even if it never happens, I'm ready to try getting a little air/slashing the wake.  I'm wondering if a Honu, Ahi or Lib Tech Air 'wakesurf would help.  Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere to see these boards, let alone ride one.  Any one have a sense of how all these boards compare?  Even if they aren't that different than the cobra cat, I wouldn't mind having a second good board on the boat.  The slingshot is a little fragile and already has one repair.

The Ahi is a great board and durable. The only issue is the cost. Very expensive! Durability really counts for sure. I believe in Phase 5 though for sure, great products. I ride a Diamond as my second board.

I also own a Ronix Naked Potbelly Rocket.  It is a lightning fast 3 fin board that can be ridden with just 2 fins when you are ready. It is very thick in the center and loves to be ridden with your back foot all the way back. It's super buoyant and loves to go edge to edge quickly (easy to pump). It is a lot less expensive @ 650.00 USD. It's a little fragile. I'm 162 lbs and ride the 4'8" version. It is a pure surf style board that inspires confidence, and you can recover from anywhere on the wave. Since we have the same boat, I am recommending the board to you if you really love surf style.

I'm curious, how are you weighting your 25 LSV?

• Like 2

Ahi , run as a twin, not quad , put smallest rear fins in front slots, super durable, super maneuverable , expensive , if you can get one under 700 or right at it go for it

Edited by granddaddy55
4 hours ago, NorNevRider said:

The Ahi is a great board and durable. The only issue is the cost. Very expensive! Durability really counts for sure. I believe in Phase 5 though for sure, great products. I ride a Diamond as my second board.

I also own a Ronix Naked Potbelly Rocket.  It is a lightning fast 3 fin board that can be ridden with just 2 fins when you are ready. It is very thick in the center and loves to be ridden with your back foot all the way back. It's super buoyant and loves to go edge to edge quickly (easy to pump). It is a lot less expensive @ 650.00 USD. It's a little fragile. I'm 162 lbs and ride the 4'8" version. It is a pure surf style board that inspires confidence, and you can recover from anywhere on the wave. Since we have the same boat, I am recommending the board to you if you really love surf style.

I'm curious, how are you weighting your 25 LSV?

Thanks for the Ronix recommendation!  It's a drag that there don't seem to be any demo opportunities around Tahoe.

Most of our guests are first timers.  Here's how we ride:

New kids under 100 lbs - 50-75% ballast in the 4 tanks, mellow wedge.  Rope on the side of the tower, not the top.  9 - 10 mph.

New adults- 75-100%, wedge in second or third position from right.  I don't bother with fat sacks unless the rider has experience.  10 - 10.6

Experienced riders- 100%, two 500 lb sacks and wedge in third or fourth position from right. 10.6 -11.2

I've been weighting the four tanks evenly.  Do you do things much differently?

Experienced and intermediates are 100% full tanks with full PNP 770 Wakemakers. I also run a 1000 lb. bow Fatsac in the center of the floor right behind the driver when the crew is smaller. We range from no wedge to a setting of 3. The wave has a lot of push both ways. .8 to 11.2 depending on who's riding. We have been teaching the newbie grandkids on the no wedge wave and they are doing awesome. We slow the boat down to about 10.5 for them and dump the PNP.

You can demo some boards in Reno at Marine Specialties. Mostly Hyperlite, CWB, and Connelly. Scheels has a replacement take back program so if you are unhappy with your board, you get another one of your choosing. They carry Hyperlite, Ronix, Doomswell, Phase 5, etc. Best deals are online though. Honestly, the Ahi is a great durable board, just expensive. I just thought I'd share the findings on the Ronix board which really surprised me how good it is.

5 hours ago, NorNevRider said:

Experienced and intermediates are 100% full tanks with full PNP 770 Wakemakers. I also run a 1000 lb. bow Fatsac in the center of the floor right behind the driver when the crew is smaller. We range from no wedge to a setting of 3. The wave has a lot of push both ways. .8 to 11.2 depending on who's riding. We have been teaching the newbie grandkids on the no wedge wave and they are doing awesome. We slow the boat down to about 10.5 for them and dump the PNP.

You can demo some boards in Reno at Marine Specialties. Mostly Hyperlite, CWB, and Connelly. Scheels has a replacement take back program so if you are unhappy with your board, you get another one of your choosing. They carry Hyperlite, Ronix, Doomswell, Phase 5, etc. Best deals are online though. Honestly, the Ahi is a great durable board, just expensive. I just thought I'd share the findings on the Ronix board which really surprised me how good it is.

Thanks. Have a great summer!

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:33 PM, granddaddy55 said:

Ahi , run as a twin, not quad , put smallest rear fins in front slots, super durable, super maneuverable , expensive , if you can get one under 700 or right at it go for it

You gotta love those Phase 5 boards. You just don't see them on sale much, maybe in the middle of winter. It's nice to be able to just throw the board in the rack and not worry about the sun. You definitely cannot do that with most of the Ronix boards.

I know I could do that with it but even $700+ is a lot so I don’t , it’s really ding resistant and  it could take going over wakes in a Board rack 

i like keeping it under bimini in my cargo net surf pocket

Edited by granddaddy55

I keep mine in a padded case with my Ronix Potbelly Rocket board. Sometimes I throw it in the rack when a lot of friends/family are in the boat and we are hurrying to get the board the next person wants. I probably should keep it out of the rack though as I paid more for the Diamond than I wanted to. I'm going to pull the center fin off my Potbelly Rocket this weekend and give it a go. I'm curious how much looser and quicker to edge it will feel. I have almost stopped using any boards other than these two. I let the family ride the other boards, so I have some board clutter going on right now. I guess I could have worse problems.

On 7/20/2018 at 4:07 PM, granddaddy55 said:

Auto zone, it’s just a adjustable strap cargo net with plastic hooks

I saw your post about your Bimini net and really like the idea. What hooks are you using?  Do they make a good bite on the bimini poles?  I can't find any 1 inch or 7/8 hooks that will work.