Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to me Malibu water ski questions

Elkinsa

First post since on the forum! Lots of great info on this website! I finally got into a 2013 21 vlx with diamond hull. I love to ski but wanted the wake surfing as well. I am coming out of an i/o boat. I typically ski 15 off at 33 mph. I have seen many different rope lengths used on my lake. Any recommendations from the water skiers out there? Also do you use any ballast in the front of the boat to level out the wake?  

Thanks in advance!!

33mph at 10 off is a great place to start with that hull - smoother wake but still behind the rooster tail - and much better than any I/O.  Ballast up front will help a bit, especially if you have crew in the rear - but ballast additions can wail until you set it up for surfing.

BTW, welcome to the Crew!  Pics?  You have to pay to post pics but it's definitely worth it!

@minnmarker

Really?  10 Off?  I've never seen that length mentioned before and I don't think the rope is configured that way.   My first section is 15 off.   Most people I know that have an issue with the rooster tail shorten the rope to get in front of it.   Not really an option for me as I don't handle 22 off or shorter very well.

Just curious

Thanks minnmarker. I tried to shorten the rope in front of the rooster tail but I found I liked it better behind it. Probably just need to keep trying a shorter rope than that. 

I just got a 2013 VTX with the diamond hull, and skied it once before the family moved on to tubing and combo skiing. I skied the VTX @ 15 off from the back pylon 34MPH, and the wake seemed big, but relatively soft. As this was the first time we had the boat on the water, so there were 6 people in the boat and I didn't have the bow ballast filled at all, so it think with better circumstances the wake will be smaller. I can definitely see there is a pretty big rooster tail @ 22 off. Maybe give 28 off a try? I have no idea how changing speeds, 34 vs. 32 and adding bow weight may impact the fun/difficulty.

I would say for recreational/open water skiing with a larger wake, it is pretty important to stay on edge and concentrate on maintaining (but not increasing) your pull through the wake, especially on your offside. If you start to come off edge, at/before the wakes, you will get a pretty good bump as you cross them. ya just gotta "power" through it.

@ahopkinsTXi can probably add to this thread as well. he has a good video somewhere of skiing behind a VTX somewhere.

Next weekend I am hoping to get some more time skiing with just 2-3 people in the boat and the bow ballast pump working.

Welcome to the club and enjoy!

1 hour ago, CedarLakeSkier said:

@minnmarker

Really?  10 Off?  I've never seen that length mentioned before and I don't think the rope is configured that way.   My first section is 15 off.   Most people I know that have an issue with the rooster tail shorten the rope to get in front of it.   Not really an option for me as I don't handle 22 off or shorter very well.

Just curious

Yea, I ski at 15 off at 34 or 36, and it's right behind the rooster tail.  Maybe the OP has a custom rope or he put a loop in it.  Did not think it worth commenting on.  I think 22 off on a standard rope would be right on the rooster tail.  Any shorter than that would be too short for me to have fun.

OP, you will see a difference between 32mph and 34mph, 36 even better if you're comfortable with that..  Likewise full fuel vs 1/4 tank and people in the back vs people in the front, and how many.  In any case it will be better than your I/O.

ahopkins22LSV

I’d try some bow ballast, less people, and as little gas as possible. I’d also suggest trying to get in front of the rooster tail. There should be a flat spot. Easy way to do this is hold the handle at the pylon and let the rope go out the back then get to speed. Try a loop, probably -28 that will keep you in front of the rooster tail. 

-28 is where it's at with the older 21' V drives.

Here's a clip of 28 off at 34 MPH.  Notice the skier is crossing in front of the rooster.  22 is right smack in the middle of the rooster and the worst spot to ski this boat.  I imagine the newer 21 has quite a trough inside 28 so that might be your sweet spot too.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wpqDM5ajFwatufPD6

21 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Yea, I ski at 15 off at 34 or 36, and it's right behind the rooster tail.  Maybe the OP has a custom rope or he put a loop in it.  Did not think it worth commenting on.  I think 22 off on a standard rope would be right on the rooster tail.  Any shorter than that would be too short for me to have fun.

OP, you will see a difference between 32mph and 34mph, 36 even better if you're comfortable with that..  Likewise full fuel vs 1/4 tank and people in the back vs people in the front, and how many.  In any case it will be better than your I/O.

@minnmarker,

Gotcha..    I wonder if the OP changed their post.  Your reference was the first one I saw to say 10 off.