Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thats pretty clean, i guess

6 hours ago, justgary said:

When are you coming down to do mine? 

I don't see that happening, doing one is bad enough.   Got the first coat on the other side last night, second coat will be after work today.  Then I just need to do the back and the interior.

I wound up using that Jescar PowerLock + stuff that @ibelonginprison has recommended in the past after a cleaning with my normal Collinite Boat cleaning compound.   Hopefully the stuff holds up, but at a minimum it is a lot easier to use than the Collinite Fleetwax that I normally use.

Edited by oldjeep

The jescar works great. I havent put it on since last year and my boat still looks and feels great. I think after that i waited 24 hours and applied 3m marine liquid wax over as well.

Edited by klingsdesigns
6 hours ago, ibelonginprison said:

do a couple of coats, but wait 2-3 hours between coats, and it'll treat you right.

2 coats, about 24 hrs between.  The test will be next week.  On to the interior 

• Like 1

What do the "pros" recommend for getting a stain off of white gel coat?  We just got back from a week vacation and the boat sat in a lake that is pretty brown (from tannins (sp?)).  The lake isn't really gross but sitting in it for a week definitely appears to have stained the gel coat.  I could use the hull cleaner stuff but that is really nasty and I hate using it unless I need to.  Is there anything else out there that is better?

10 hours ago, gahvey said:

What do the "pros" recommend for getting a stain off of white gel coat?  We just got back from a week vacation and the boat sat in a lake that is pretty brown (from tannins (sp?)).  The lake isn't really gross but sitting in it for a week definitely appears to have stained the gel coat.  I could use the hull cleaner stuff but that is really nasty and I hate using it unless I need to.  Is there anything else out there that is better?

Easiest way is to give it a rub with your hand when it is still in the water. In the driveway just give it a little scrub with a blue scrub sponge.  That is usually all it takes when our boat has been in iron range water. 

11 minutes ago, gahvey said:

Yup, regular kitchen sponge from cub/target/wherever.  Just dont use the green ones and use plenty of soap a d water

Edited by oldjeep

If that doesn't work, Works toilet bowl cleaner mixed down 2:1 with water (2 parts water) in a spray bottle. She'll be clean in no time.

10 hours ago, Falko said:

If that doesn't work, Works toilet bowl cleaner mixed down 2:1 with water (2 parts water) in a spray bottle. She'll be clean in no time.

Back in the day, @Pistol Pete would have chimed in here with his recipe from "The Stash."  It included toilet bowl cleaner as one of the ingredients.  I tried it, but it didn't touch the bathtub ring on my boat.   I need to figure this out also....

10 hours ago, justgary said:

Back in the day, @Pistol Pete would have chimed in here with his recipe from "The Stash."  It included toilet bowl cleaner as one of the ingredients.  I tried it, but it didn't touch the bathtub ring on my boat.   I need to figure this out also....

The Works is 20% HCl. If diluting it doesn't work, go straight, just use sparingly as it will damage the paint on the trailer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up to this thread.  The Jescar stuff worked well in the crystal clear water, but after we got back to our hard water lake it became pretty apparent that it doesn't work as well in the hard water as my paste wax was.  The hard water spots really seem to bond with it - and maybe it is because with a wax you are always able to rub a little off and a sealant is static.  In any event if I do use the Jescar stuff again I would definitely put a coat of wax on top of it based on the Lake Minnetonka water spots.