Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winter storage question

JohnnyBravo

I live in Ohio and have the option to store the boat inside during the winter or inside a temperature controlled environment. Is it beneficial to store the boat in a temperature controlled environment? How important is temperature during storage?

One nice thing about climate controlled is the lack of condensation/moisture during late fall & early spring. If they cost the same, go for the climate controlled.

As Edwin said - Do winterize as that will cover things like getting the old oil & it's contaminants out of the boat, stabilizing the gas so it doens't turn to varnish and general maintenance that is good before laying up the boat for an extended period of time - winter or summer.

Don't forget the risk of a power outage. Climate controlled is great until you have one bad ice storm that takes out your heat source. I'd want the peace of mind that even if that happened, the boat (engine, heater, shower) is safe.

Yup, what everyone said, it all boils down to cost difference and your budget. People claim that the climate control is also easier on gaskets and seals.

If you winterize yourself it isn't that hard and there are some insturctions on this site. Just be sure you drain BOTH sides of the block. I had someone show me last year and he only did one side of the block, then I did some research on how-to and realized the job was not done. I pulled a sensor that drained the drivers side of the block and out came clear water (versus colored anti freeze).

Edited by GONORTH