Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rhythmic stalling - can't get up to speed!

My boat starts and idles just fine. When I put it in gear I do notice a slight hesitation but no stall. After letting it warm up anytime I punch it (or gradually speed up) within 10 seconds or just as I’m hitting 32+mph my boat starts stalling briefly every 2 seconds very rhythmically. Everything looks normal with temp at 160 and oil pressure at 40-45. I changed out the fuel filter with no change. I even emptied mine and there is no water to be found. I tried the appropriate amount of Stabil and then a can of Seafoam. This has been consistent across 3 different days. Once I drop the throttle down and then ramp back up I get just under 10 seconds of running normal then very rhythmic stalling again. Any advice??

Brand new mechanical fuel pump last year. It ran perfect until I put it away last year. It's a 1995 sunsetter btw

Why was the fuel pump changed?

Check the gasket to the fuel filter. Check your hose clamps on your fuel lines. Could be sucking air.

Change your points and condensor to the electronic pickup (Pertronix).

When was the last time you checked your point gap? And changed your cap and rotor?

Sounds similar to what we went through. Ended up being internally collapsed fuel lines due to ethanol. There is a video of ours in that thread, does yours do the same?

• 3 weeks later...

Fixed! I'm going to share what the issue was just in case anyone comes across the same issues and comes to this thread for help, despite how embarrassing this is... I was just a tad low on transmission fluid. It was to the full line when the engine was cold but after letting it run at 1500 rpm for 2 minutes, it dropped 4 ticks below full! Easy fix but I'm frustrated I didn't find it sooner.