Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 Ford F150 options

BillM22

Questions for you ford guys. I am thinking of upgrading my tow vehicle and looking hard at the F150. 

1. Can remote start be added to a truck at the dealer? Would they have to change out the whole computer and then it would be so expensive it's not practical. I was thinking some aftermarket alarm systems can do remote start? 

2. The electronic locking rear option, when you need positive traction, is there a button to lock it in? Or is it only auto controlled by the traction control system? I would think it is only auto controlled but in one youtube review a salesman said something about a button to activate it, he was outside the vehicle and didn't show it. My dad has a 2018 with Fx4 and tow package and I didn't find a button. I did see traction control off but that's can't be it.

3. Do all XLT come with a cooler for the transmission? Or do you have to get the tow package? I don't need extra towing capability, thinking a cooler should be standard equipment but don't want to assume. I never tow  heavy loads, the boat is only 3,200ish lbs (I think). A normal trip to the lake is only 45 min away.

I am sure I will think of something else to ask.

The funny thing is my dad is 71, a diehard ford guy. He bought a F150 XLT Super-crew 4x4, with all kinds of options he didn't know how to use...:lol:

The next day after he got it he stopped by my house, I said dad what does this button do?

Dad: I don't know. me: Dad what does this button do?

Dad: hmm... I don't know. me: Dad how do you turn on the heated mirrors?

Dad: Do I have heated mirrors? Hell, I don't know. me: The defrost logo is right here on the mirror.

I think now he has learned most of them.

12 minutes ago, wkendwarrior said:

The funny thing is my dad is 71, a diehard ford guy. He bought a F150 XLT Super-crew 4x4, with all kinds of options he didn't know how to use...:lol:

The next day after he got it he stopped by my house, I said dad what does this button do?

Dad: I don't know. me: Dad what does this button do?

Dad: hmm... I don't know. me: Dad how do you turn on the heated mirrors?

Dad: Do I have heated mirrors? Hell, I don't know. me: The defrost logo is right here on the mirror.

I think now he has learned most of them.

I know the XLT can have the remote start.  I would higly recomend a model equipped from the factory,it os a very solid remote start system with indicator lights about whether the remote start wss successful so you dont need to check

The lock er os switch activated you do that bu

Y pulling the 4x4 option selector out and it has a diagram showing you how, also a dash indicator will illuminate when active

Heated mirrors are automatic.  Unless there is a selector for the heat option on the mirror adjustment button panel.  I have heated mirrors but no button.  They get warm on cold mornings with no activation.

Trans cooler I have to imagine is standard.  May upgrade in size with max tow package, but cannot speak to that.  Sounds like with you ligjt load you probably do not need to worry.  Cool thing is you vmcan select tranny temp on your gauge cluster and watch the temp as you use the tranny on difficult pulls.  Only warning I ever got was in my 2014 coming back to Denver from Powell on vail pass.  I was rocketing up because the power was tremendous.  Backed off a bit and the warning quickly went back to normal.

Just het the new gen 2 3.5 ecoboost with the 10 speed trans.  You will not be disappointed.

Also - FWIW.  OEM alarm/remote start modules appear to be available.  No idea if you need to have the dealer do something - if it was a RAM they would need to enable the feature after you installed the hardware.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-thru-18-F-150-OEM-Ford-Security-System-w-Remote-Start-uses-Factory-Flip-Key/172863818233?fits=Year%3A2018|Model%3AF-150&hash=item283f7c89f9:g:Bj0AAOSwD8ZZ94eO

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Also - FWIW.  OEM alarm/remote start modules appear to be available.  No idea if you need to have the dealer do something - if it was a RAM they would need to enable the feature after you installed the hardware.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-thru-18-F-150-OEM-Ford-Security-System-w-Remote-Start-uses-Factory-Flip-Key/172863818233?fits=Year%3A2018|Model%3AF-150&hash=item283f7c89f9:g:Bj0AAOSwD8ZZ94eO

180 Bucks is dirt cheap for an option like this. The new factory key with a start button probably cost $999 + labor for the activation.

On all my Fords (150s and 250s with locking rears, I simply pull the ESOF (Electronic Shift on the Fly/4WD control) toward me to lock the rears and push in when done.  

Auto start - this is my first pickup with it and it's finicky at best.  On my F250, I have to lock the doors from the remote but not two clicks to engage the alarm, and it works 50% of the time.  My wife has had it on the last 3 vehicles (Chrysler T&C, Chevy Malibu and now Hyundai Sante Fe) and the Hyundai works everytime but the T&C and Malibu never seemed to work when we wanted them.  My dad has 2015 F150 and his works perfectly.  I guess I'm not supposed to have auto start in my life.

1 minute ago, wkendwarrior said:

180 Bucks is dirt cheap for an option like this. The new factory key with a start button probably cost $999 + labor for the activation.

I'd assume you can operate the remote start with your phone.  That seems to be available on most trucks these days.  My new Ram has that option, I don't have it turned on - my fob has a remote start button too.

I've never really understood why I would want remote start, but I guess I have it.

Just now, oldjeep said:

I'd assume you can operate the remote start with your phone.  That seems to be available on most trucks these days.  My new Ram has that option, I don't have it turned on - my fob has a remote start button too.

I've never really understood why I would want remote start, but I guess I have it.

I didn't really care for it either as I always pictured it's usage during cold months but two weeks ago we were on vacation and the truck lot was 20 yards from our slip.  We pulled boat into slip and the first thing we did was start the truck for the ride up to the cabin.  Black truck, black leather in 98 degree heat for 5-6 hours and I couldn't believe it took me that long to realize the capability.

2 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

What?! You live up north and don't need remote start for cold mornings. Your truck must fit in the garage? Here I would use it to heat up the truck on cold days and for AC on +97 F days.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, wkendwarrior said:

What?! You live up north and don't need remote start for cold mornings. Your truck must fit in the garage? Here I would use it to heat up the truck on cold days and for AC on +97 F days.

LOL.  Truck is in driveway 365 days a year, and at -20 unless you start it up and let it idle for 2 hours you are not going to get significant heat in the truck - at least not with a Hemi. We just dress for the weather ;)

Edited by oldjeep
On 7/11/2018 at 10:44 AM, oldjeep said:

I use the remote start daily.  In the winter it not only starts to warm the truck, the heated seats and steering wheel go on and both are definitely warm by the time I get in.  For winter, I prefer warm seats (radiant heat) then warm air blowing hard on me.  In summer the ventilated seats kick-on along with the AC.  Additionally, and likely over kill, but I always wait until the truck idles down below 1k rpms before going from park to drive (or reverse) on initial start up - I can get into the truck and go vs waiting that 1-2 minutes (or longer in the winter).

• Like 3

The Ford Pass App works great to start the truck (2017) when out of range of the key fob.  Very useful to get the cabin temperature down to reasonable before I get in and go. With the app you can extend the run time to ridiculous. (Sorry Al G, but this works for me).  

Edited by Bozboat
3 hours ago, DAI said:

I use the remote start daily.  In the winter it not only starts to warm the truck, the heated seats and steering wheel go on and both are definitely warm by the time I get in.  For winter, I prefer warm seats (radiant heat) then warm air blowing hard on me.  In summer the ventilated seats kick-on along with the AC.  Additionally, and likely over kill, but I always wait until the truck idles down below 1k rpms before going from park to drive (or reverse) on initial start up - I can get into the truck and go vs waiting that 1-2 minutes (or longer in the winter).

I used the remote start in the winter all the time in Wisconsin or when my truck was parked at O'Hare.  After getting off the plane, pull up the app and start the truck.  Seat heaters and steering wheel heater kicks on, and the cab is nice and comfy.  This is especially nice when dressed for work and wearing those dress slacks that do nothing to keep you warm.

Now that I live in Arizona and it's 110F, I use the remote start on my truck and my wife's Hyundai daily.  AC kicks on and seat coolers fire up so you aren't hard boiling your huevos when you sit on the black leather.  Prior to moving to AZ, she had a dark dark blue Audi with black leather.  That car in WI summers was far more uncomfortable than our current fleet is in AZ.  The combo of ventilated seats and remote start make all the difference in the world.

• Like 2

Best thing about the Ford app to start from phone is you can Programme a start schedule to start at specific time or different times for each day of the week I have mine programmed to start 10 mins before I leave for work in the winter. 

• Like 1

I am looking for a website that can convert a VIN into the window sticker? I have tried two or three sites but they didn't work.

This would be a big help when searching for a used truck. Then I wouldn't have to email to ask about every potion on a truck.

5 minutes ago, wkendwarrior said:

I am looking for a website that can convert a VIN into the window sticker? I have tried two or three sites but they didn't work.

This would be a big help when searching for a used truck. Then I wouldn't have to email to ask about every potion on a truck.

For ford? Check fords website.  Dodge has a page that will do that. 

Yep Ford. I did a search on the ford website with no luck but someone will probably prove me wrong and find it there.

Carvana.com/research has one but it doesn't seem to do anything after I enter the vin.

I know sometimes websites will work with on internet browser and not another. I tried Firefox and Explorer, I am at work and my work PC doesn't have Chrome, (dam IT people). 

22 hours ago, BillM22 said:

Yep Ford. I did a search on the ford website with no luck but someone will probably prove me wrong and find it there.

Try pasting your vin in at the end of this link 

http://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=1FTEW1EP8JKD93221

This is the link that my local mega dealer uses for their ferd stuff

And this shows a normal discount around here. 35k for a 52k sticker seems to have most of the options you mentioned 

http://www.jeffbelzer.com/new/Ford/2018-Ford-F-150-lakeville-new-prague-mn-ae5631220a0e0a6b15671c30c4ec1e2c.htm

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2018 at 8:30 AM, NHolladay said:

I know the XLT can have the remote start.  I would higly recomend a model equipped from the factory,it os a very solid remote start system with indicator lights about whether the remote start wss successful so you dont need to check

The lock er os switch activated you do that bu

Y pulling the 4x4 option selector out and it has a diagram showing you how, also a dash indicator will illuminate when active

Heated mirrors are automatic.  Unless there is a selector for the heat option on the mirror adjustment button panel.  I have heated mirrors but no button.  They get warm on cold mornings with no activation.

Trans cooler I have to imagine is standard.  May upgrade in size with max tow package, but cannot speak to that.  Sounds like with you ligjt load you probably do not need to worry.  Cool thing is you vmcan select tranny temp on your gauge cluster and watch the temp as you use the tranny on difficult pulls.  Only warning I ever got was in my 2014 coming back to Denver from Powell on vail pass.  I was rocketing up because the power was tremendous.  Backed off a bit and the warning quickly went back to normal.

Just het the new gen 2 3.5 ecoboost with the 10 speed trans.  You will not be disappointed.

The heated mirrors turn on when you turn on the rear window defroster

I like the Ford but for the same money I got more options on the Silverado. GM gave me 18% off the top plus dealer discount.

Not the best pic, just a random pic at work. 

B89B4CD1-DF92-4D1C-89B7-824A8A7D3BE0.jpeg