Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

inlandlaker

Surf boat question

Recommended Posts

inlandlaker

Ok......if you were given only $30,000, no more, to buy a surf boat, what would you do and why?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minnmarker

25,000 V-drive with big ballast bags and suck gates. Spend whatever you have left on the stereo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
-BS-

Off the top of my head?  I would say a 2005-2007 Vride.  I think that is going to give you the best quality and reliability, along with a fun wave.  Those boats also have an awesome wake for wakeboarding, aren't gas guzzlers, and are a really sporty drive.

If you're comfortable in a little older boat, I think you could probably find a 2002-2003 LSV that would give you a little bigger boat and a nicer wave.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pnwrider

C’mon CP, you know you want a newish lsv. 30k is a good down payment! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cole2001

Tige 24ve... if you’re looking for the best surf wave for the money... that’s a no brainer. I know, I know, Malibucrew...

Now let’s say you’re looking for a little more modern/nicer boat an older 23lsv would be decent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
inlandlaker
7 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

C’mon CP, you know you want a newish lsv. 30k is a good down payment! 

I do but that’s not my current position.  We’re keeping my RLXI and seriously talking about a wake boat that we can surf pretty well.  I was on a 2005 23LSV last night.  It needed a suck gate though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX

I agree with the Vride. It’s a proven setup and a very solid boat. If that budget were to creep a bit you might be able to get a mid 2000’s vlx or LSV which would have the more updated hull which is also very proven. 

I know manual surf devices work very well but I also wouldn’t discredit a plumbed in ballast system that you can just list with. My friends MB is that way and it works very well. Everything controlled from the helm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawndoggy

Assuming you want to stay malibu, I think waiting for fall and trying to find a deal (potentially nationwide) on an 04 23 LSV (1st year of second gen (same as the one you mention being on), above floor rear hard tanks, but you're gonna pull 'em anyway) would be the most bang for the buck.

I'm with @Cole2001 tho... if you are asking for the best wave you can get for $30k, and boat quality is not the top priority, I'd put tige in the running and centurion too.  I surfed behind a tige 21v a few years back and it had a really good wave.  The boat itself was kindof a hooptie (and small/cramped) but there was no denying the wave.  It was really good (definitely better than I ever got out of our 06 vride).  OK, kindof a hooptie is an understatement... it was a hooptie.  For the kind of boat use we do (1hr+ tow, spend the whole day at the lake) that sorta boat would be a bummer.  But if you have water access and are just going out for a couple of sets and coming back in....

tige 22v example https://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/d/2003-tige-22v/6635561391.html

tige 24v example https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/d/2005-tige-24v/6638138968.html

Going the centurion/tige route also kinda puts you "all in" for surfing too... they aren't known for good wakeboard wakes, if that's a priority at all.

looking at the local/regional craigslist sites tho, it seems like there's very little available on the used market and what's there is priced real high.  Dunno whether that's a function of the economy or the time of year?

And if you like flames, the mid 00 MBs put out pretty decent waves (and have all sorts of unique/goofy design features, like two speed transmissions) (example https://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/d/2006-mb-sports-52-v23/6634757074.html)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
inlandlaker
2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Assuming you want to stay malibu, I think waiting for fall and trying to find a deal (potentially nationwide) on an 04 23 LSV (1st year of second gen (same as the one you mention being on), above floor rear hard tanks, but you're gonna pull 'em anyway) would be the most bang for the buck.

I'm with @Cole2001 tho... if you are asking for the best wave you can get for $30k, and boat quality is not the top priority, I'd put tige in the running and centurion too.  I surfed behind a tige 21v a few years back and it had a really good wave.  The boat itself was kindof a hooptie (and small/cramped) but there was no denying the wave.  It was really good (definitely better than I ever got out of our 06 vride).  OK, kindof a hooptie is an understatement... it was a hooptie.  For the kind of boat use we do (1hr+ tow, spend the whole day at the lake) that sorta boat would be a bummer.  But if you have water access and are just going out for a couple of sets and coming back in....

tige 22v example https://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/d/2003-tige-22v/6635561391.html

tige 24v example https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/d/2005-tige-24v/6638138968.html

Going the centurion/tige route also kinda puts you "all in" for surfing too... they aren't known for good wakeboard wakes, if that's a priority at all.

looking at the local/regional craigslist sites tho, it seems like there's very little available on the used market and what's there is priced real high.  Dunno whether that's a function of the economy or the time of year?

And if you like flames, the mid 00 MBs put out pretty decent waves (and have all sorts of unique/goofy design features, like two speed transmissions) (example https://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/d/2006-mb-sports-52-v23/6634757074.html)

 

I would prefer to stay with Malibu.  I'd consider a Nautique, too.  My initial thought was a 2004-2006 23 LSV.  We're on the water, so primary use would be surfing and wake boarding for the kids.  We're on the lake nearly every day and the kids don't like to ski, the S.O. likes to surf and trick ski, so with the RLXI, we satisfy my ski needs, her trick needs, but we're missing something.  I really do like the mid 2000's LSV's.  I think they're great boats.  I can see getting a decent wave out of one with the right weight and an added wake surf device.  Not ready to pull the trigger just yet, but that's the intended direction.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawndoggy

The hard part here is the hard stop at $30K.  The same boats that were selling for $30K in 2009 are still selling for $30K today, but 9 years older with 500 more hours!  If it could be $40K I'm sure there's an 04-06 LSV out there for you.  I don't think there's really a good surfing nautique in that price range?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
inlandlaker
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

The hard part here is the hard stop at $30K.  The same boats that were selling for $30K in 2009 are still selling for $30K today, but 9 years older with 500 more hours!  If it could be $40K I'm sure there's an 04-06 LSV out there for you.  I don't think there's really a good surfing nautique in that price range?

 

I know what you mean, @shawndoggy.  THere may be a way to get to $40k if we do what I think we can do, but time will tell.  Honestly, I'd rather ditch one of the houses we have that's not waterfront, and find a 2015 23 LSV or a G21 and be done with the whole deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX
2 minutes ago, inlandlaker said:

I know what you mean, @shawndoggy.  THere may be a way to get to $40k if we do what I think we can do, but time will tell.  Honestly, I'd rather ditch one of the houses we have that's not waterfront, and find a 2015 23 LSV or a G21 and be done with the whole deal.

Well I don’t even remember your other option to buy a new boat but this is what you should do. Except not a G21. A 23 LSV. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
inlandlaker
51 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Well I don’t even remember your other option to buy a new boat but this is what you should do. Except not a G21. A 23 LSV. :) 

I think you recall just fine....

 

Time will tell.  Just always interested in what the Crew has to say about things like this.  We were out last night in a 2005 23 LSV and I like the boat a lot.  We had no gate of any sort on the boat, but did have it well loaded up and slightly listed and the wave was decent, but seemed like it would really benefit from a wake shaper of some sort.  I've always liked that vintage of LSV stylistically speaking, so there's some attraction there.  The S.O. is a HUGE Nautique fan.  I have no issues with Nautique, but I don't see a viable option there for the kind of money we're willing to part with right now. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX
1 minute ago, inlandlaker said:

I think you recall just fine....

 

Time will tell.  Just always interested in what the Crew has to say about things like this.  We were out last night in a 2005 23 LSV and I like the boat a lot.  We had no gate of any sort on the boat, but did have it well loaded up and slightly listed and the wave was decent, but seemed like it would really benefit from a wake shaper of some sort.  I've always liked that vintage of LSV stylistically speaking, so there's some attraction there.  The S.O. is a HUGE Nautique fan.  I have no issues with Nautique, but I don't see a viable option there for the kind of money we're willing to part with right now. 

 

Haha I know, isn’t t our job to get you to inflate your budget by at least 2x? Just like how you tried to get me to order a whole new gator step kit? ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
inlandlaker
8 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Haha I know, isn’t t our job to get you to inflate your budget by at least 2x? Just like how you tried to get me to order a whole new gator step kit? ;) 

Lol....indeed my man!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gavin17

We love our 2004 lsv.  30k plus 3-4k of upgrades. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dkscism

I'm currently getting my surf wave dialed in on my 2004 Wakesetter VLX I bought in April for $21.5k. Manual wedge, stock 200 lb tanks in each rear locker,  500 lb mid, no bow ballast. It had an amp for the 4 in boat speakers aleady. Also had 2 coaxial kicker tower speakers powered by the HU that I plan on replacing but will be okay this summer. So far I've bought:

Rocker switch plate $50

a few replacement rocker switches $20

12" Kicker Sub $130

4 DB651 Polk In boat speakers $130

QBomb sub enclosure $50

Hooked up a 500W Rockford Fosgate amp collecting dust in my closet to the sub $0

BT Head Unit $100

$350 Hyperlite Surf Board

$30 Surf Rope

$50 Cleaning Products

$100 stereo / amp wiring

$170 Trailer Tires

$75 for Life jackets and Throwable to remain under seat cushions

Boat/Trailer Registered and titled for ~$100

My total investment now is around $23k. I have surfed this boat every weekend in June and July bone stock with various amounts of people in it. Now the wave is nothing I'm showing off but it's very surfable. With your budget I would have $7k to go toward Wakemakers Tankbuster Kit for the rear lockers, plumbed in bow ballast, a suction wakeshaper (can DIY for $30), and tower speakers / amp. I think this would give me a great surf wave by my standards with money left over. Good deals are out there, just be patient and go look at a ton of boats. Good Luck!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cla10beck

I have been looking around at boats lower than your price range, but this one stood out to me as a fairly priced option and fits the needs.  I've never surfed behind this hull, I'll let others comment on that.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/d/2006-malibu-sunscape-lsv21/6614324291.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawndoggy
20 minutes ago, cla10beck said:

I have been looking around at boats lower than your price range, but this one stood out to me as a fairly priced option and fits the needs.  I've never surfed behind this hull, I'll let others comment on that.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/d/2006-malibu-sunscape-lsv21/6614324291.html

 

great price!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
inlandlaker
16 hours ago, dkscism said:

I'm currently getting my surf wave dialed in on my 2004 Wakesetter VLX I bought in April for $21.5k. Manual wedge, stock 200 lb tanks in each rear locker,  500 lb mid, no bow ballast. It had an amp for the 4 in boat speakers aleady. Also had 2 coaxial kicker tower speakers powered by the HU that I plan on replacing but will be okay this summer. So far I've bought:

Rocker switch plate $50

a few replacement rocker switches $20

12" Kicker Sub $130

4 DB651 Polk In boat speakers $130

QBomb sub enclosure $50

Hooked up a 500W Rockford Fosgate amp collecting dust in my closet to the sub $0

BT Head Unit $100

$350 Hyperlite Surf Board

$30 Surf Rope

$50 Cleaning Products

$100 stereo / amp wiring

$170 Trailer Tires

$75 for Life jackets and Throwable to remain under seat cushions

Boat/Trailer Registered and titled for ~$100

My total investment now is around $23k. I have surfed this boat every weekend in June and July bone stock with various amounts of people in it. Now the wave is nothing I'm showing off but it's very surfable. With your budget I would have $7k to go toward Wakemakers Tankbuster Kit for the rear lockers, plumbed in bow ballast, a suction wakeshaper (can DIY for $30), and tower speakers / amp. I think this would give me a great surf wave by my standards with money left over. Good deals are out there, just be patient and go look at a ton of boats. Good Luck!!

 

Thanks.  I assume the same and we will be having additional discussion on that this weekend.  The other thing, not included in the $30k, is that I need another boat hoist.  I'm not too worried about that in the short term, however.  I have a sub and some DB651's and an amp laying around, so not worried about the stereo budget in the short term either.  Just looking for an inexpensive way to get the kids and the S.O. out surfing and wake boarding because the RLXi isn't sufficient for those purposes.  

 

Boats are kind of like motorcycles.  You always need more than 1 for specific purposes.....but that's another story.....  There's never enough time to enjoy all the toys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bamaboy

Two words:  WAKE TRACTOR  

 

K3ynbNZ.jpg&f=1

 

 

Edited by bamaboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bozboat
11 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

Two words:  WAKE TRACTOR  

 

K3ynbNZ.jpg&f=1

 

 

That is easily as ugly as a Pacer or a Gremlin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jaciche

I'd vote for an older 23 lsv or a 21 vride. Sticking a suck gate (wake shaper) on the side of the boat makes a huge difference for surfing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...