Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
todens22

Engine Warm upon restart

Recommended Posts

todens22

Our boat runs great and at normal temperature while driving/ pulling skiers and boarders.  When I pull up to a rider who is down or ready to jump in the boat for a new rider, I generally kill the engine during this time while we load/ unload people to the water.

When I go to start the engine again, the gauges all reset like normal, but the temp gauge seems to be running high, and have gotten a warning beep a few times now.  As soon as the engine is running again, the temp heads down to the 160 degree range again within seconds of being turned on.  I just changed the impeller a couple hours ago, and also pulled some hoses and found some weeds in the metal screen (now something I check every time I take the boat out!)  

Have any of you seen this before, or is this something completely normal?  Would it be better to just let the boat idle the entire time vs shutting it off?

2003 Sportster with 5.7 Indmar carb'd if that would help with any diagnosis. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JeffK

Completely normal this time of year.  The fresh water being pulled into the system is a lot warmer in July than in May and with it being a closed hatch, it keeps heat in the engine.  As soon as the water stops circulating, the engine will heat up.  As long as it cools down right after start-up, you are good to go.  If it takes throttling up or a few minutes ot get back down, you probably have a water flow issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MalibuNation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bozboat
On 7/10/2018 at 9:27 AM, todens22 said:

Our boat runs great and at normal temperature while driving/ pulling skiers and boarders.  When I pull up to a rider who is down or ready to jump in the boat for a new rider, I generally kill the engine during this time while we load/ unload people to the water.

When I go to start the engine again, the gauges all reset like normal, but the temp gauge seems to be running high, and have gotten a warning beep a few times now.  As soon as the engine is running again, the temp heads down to the 160 degree range again within seconds of being turned on.  I just changed the impeller a couple hours ago, and also pulled some hoses and found some weeds in the metal screen (now something I check every time I take the boat out!)  

Have any of you seen this before, or is this something completely normal?  Would it be better to just let the boat idle the entire time vs shutting it off?

2003 Sportster with 5.7 Indmar carb'd if that would help with any diagnosis. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I leave the blower on for psychological reasons, but the heat soak you are describing is harmless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, todens22 said:

Our boat runs great and at normal temperature while driving/ pulling skiers and boarders.  When I pull up to a rider who is down or ready to jump in the boat for a new rider, I generally kill the engine during this time while we load/ unload people to the water.

When I go to start the engine again, the gauges all reset like normal, but the temp gauge seems to be running high, and have gotten a warning beep a few times now.  As soon as the engine is running again, the temp heads down to the 160 degree range again within seconds of being turned on.  I just changed the impeller a couple hours ago, and also pulled some hoses and found some weeds in the metal screen (now something I check every time I take the boat out!)  

Have any of you seen this before, or is this something completely normal?  Would it be better to just let the boat idle the entire time vs shutting it off?

2003 Sportster with 5.7 Indmar carb'd if that would help with any diagnosis. Any help is greatly appreciated!

It is fine, but part of the reason I do not shut the engine down unless someone is taking a long time on the platform to get their ski or board.  Not a huge fan of blasting 32MPH and then shutting down immediately

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JeffK
11 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

I leave the blower on for psychological reasons, but the heat soak you are describing is harmless.

I do too.  But mine is more for gas fumes.  As cheap as a blower motor is to replace, I don't see any reason not to keep it running all day.  BUt it is just a silly piece of mind for me.  Keeps me from having to remember to turn it back on through no-wake zones.  If the engine is on, the blower is on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep
8 hours ago, JeffK said:

I do too.  But mine is more for gas fumes.  As cheap as a blower motor is to replace, I don't see any reason not to keep it running all day.  BUt it is just a silly piece of mind for me.  Keeps me from having to remember to turn it back on through no-wake zones.  If the engine is on, the blower is on.

Ok, I'll bite.  Why would you turn the blower on in a no wake zone? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JeffK

The way it was always explained to me, the engine compartment is intended to have some air flow to remove the gas fumes out of it.  The front two intakes in front of the dash go down into the hull to move air and clear fumes.  When you are idling, that airflow is greatly reduced, hence why most manufacturers  have it stated in the manual to run your blower while idling. 

12 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Ok, I'll bite.  Why would you turn the blower on in a no wake zone? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMan
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, todens22 said:

Our boat runs great and at normal temperature while driving/ pulling skiers and boarders.  When I pull up to a rider who is down or ready to jump in the boat for a new rider, I generally kill the engine during this time while we load/ unload people to the water.

When I go to start the engine again, the gauges all reset like normal, but the temp gauge seems to be running high, and have gotten a warning beep a few times now.  As soon as the engine is running again, the temp heads down to the 160 degree range again within seconds of being turned on.  I just changed the impeller a couple hours ago, and also pulled some hoses and found some weeds in the metal screen (now something I check every time I take the boat out!)  

Have any of you seen this before, or is this something completely normal?  Would it be better to just let the boat idle the entire time vs shutting it off?

2003 Sportster with 5.7 Indmar carb'd if that would help with any diagnosis. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I checked my gauge last night,  after starting a warm engine, the temp gauge hasn't gone up, it's still at 160.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JeffK

With our closed cooling, it does on my end.  I just spoke with a super knowledgeable guy at Indmar about it and a couple other things earlier this week.  I know it is normal on my end.  Ours will jump up once we shut down, but immediately drops as soon as the flow of water begins again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eagle River Mike
14 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Ok, I'll bite.  Why would you turn the blower on in a no wake zone? 

I cant recall the exact wording on my blower switch but it says something like run the blower for 2 minutes before start up and when below cruising speed.  I would consider slow no wake zone speed to be below cruise speed.  In my mind, its just to keep the bilge free from gas fumes when the fresh air is not ventilating enough due to low circulation from the low speed,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JeffK
2 hours ago, MadMan said:

I checked my gauge last night,  after starting a warm engine, the temp gauge hasn't gone up, it's still at 160.

Did you key on without starting?  Your dash may shut completely off when you shut the engine off.  I can't remember for sure.  With mine, all the gauges still function, so when I hit the kill switch, the gauge shows an increase of 10 degrees or so once I shut it off.  As soon as I start back up, it comes back to range.  The increase is usually within the first 30 seconds of shutting down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMan
23 hours ago, JeffK said:

Did you key on without starting?  Your dash may shut completely off when you shut the engine off.  I can't remember for sure.  With mine, all the gauges still function, so when I hit the kill switch, the gauge shows an increase of 10 degrees or so once I shut it off.  As soon as I start back up, it comes back to range.  The increase is usually within the first 30 seconds of shutting down. 

Yep, key on without starting the temp stayed about 160.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Woodski

@justgary:  Although that is one reason I modified my boat for ambient air to the intake, or basically a CAI setup.  That and the intake hiss is my version of music.

@todens22:  Normal and simple physics, the cast iron parts and warm oil are simply continuing to transfer heat to the water jacket which when engine shut off which is not moving any hot water out the exhaust or bringing in cooler lake water, thus the temp in the block and heads goes up.  Nothing to worry about although as the temp goes up and fuel is also not flowing, the opportunity for vapor lock increases.  I shut the engine off when changing skiers for the safety aspect, which includes exhaust fumes, and eliminates the potential for accidently putting boat in gear.  Of course, the time it takes to swap skiers is pretty much the exact time that it will take to create a vapor lock condition:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
todens22

Thank you for all of the replies - that is what I was hoping the answer would be and that nothing is wrong.  This site rocks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...