Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

eliminated power wedge on 2007 247 LSV, still worked great>>>

Fritzdog

Maybe this is heresy, but my power wedge was a continuous source of frustration (for the 2 months of summer a year, up here in North Idaho) and this year it was stuck in the partial deploy stage making the boat impossible to enjoy, so we just took it off and the wave was still good.... In fact, now ones seems to notice it is missing. The dealer wants around $2K to replace the old 3 wire with a new 5 wire unit and I am thinking hard about just adding more weight and forgetting about the troublesome power wedge. I use the Mission wedge to clean up the wave and fill  both stern  and center locker currently. What am I missing on this logic, it seems too easy.

That boat really should not need a wedge to have a good wave.  I would put 750s in the rear lockers 400 mid ship on each side and a 400 or 750 in the bow, throw a wake shaper on and that thing should be dialed on either side.

Edited by NHolladay

Thanks for the confirmation....I like the way you are thinking and I am headed in that direction!

My wedge is out of commission at the moment as well, need to replace the actuator.  But we still surf without it.  Wave is great, but needed a bit of tweaking.  

I still can’t figure out how they got to $2000.

Have you confirmed via the model numbers on   the actuators that you need to change models?

You can replace the actuators yourself for $450-500 total and have a like new power wedge.   Then you can decide whether to use it or not. 

In this case you're likely using the 3 lobe actuators, which when replaced with 5 lobe ones requires a new PW control unit.  Add those three parts up plus dealer labor and you get pretty close to 2K.  

My 247 is an 07 and my actuators were 5 lobe.   However it's possible they were changed by original owner (not me).    But I'm just saying it's worth a look before you make a decision.    You can see the numbers imprinted on the side of the actuators, then you can refer to the Lenco website to see what generation you have.  

How much are the 5 lobe power modules if it were 3 lobe?    Wedge would still work fine anyway... gauge might be off is all if you didn't replace module as far as I know.

Personally I think it's silly to remove the power wedge on a Malibu.      So there's my vote. 

23 hours ago, Stevo said:

Here you go

I have the second this lol!!  If you surf regular this sack makes an absolutely enormous wave with the 247. It sinks the boat just about down to the rail, and we never needed the wedge. You really couldn’t tell the difference with or without it. 

On 7/15/2018 at 12:03 AM, rugger said:

My 247 is an 07 and my actuators were 5 lobe.   However it's possible they were changed by original owner (not me).    But I'm just saying it's worth a look before you make a decision.    You can see the numbers imprinted on the side of the actuators, then you can refer to the Lenco website to see what generation you have.  

How much are the 5 lobe power modules if it were 3 lobe?    Wedge would still work fine anyway... gauge might be off is all if you didn't replace module as far as I know.

Personally I think it's silly to remove the power wedge on a Malibu.      So there's my vote. 

My gauge did not work at all until I bought the new control box, it actually got stuck in the down position.  You just have to turn off the power wedge in settings so that you dont get the overspeed alarm.  But if it's on my boat it's gonna work, so I ponied up $500+ for the new controller.  It's was plug and play much to my surprise.

The wedge adds a level of push that I just don't think can be achieved by substituting more weight.  

Edited by Ndawg12
4 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

But if it's on my boat it's gonna work, so I ponied up $500+ for the new controller.  It's was plug and play much to my surprise.

So there you go... $450-500 for actuators and $500 for module.   Very easy to install.    That's $1000 cheaper than your dealer quote if you do it yourself.     

I agree with Nate... wedge is needed.    

• Like 1

Have the same boat. I replaced the actuators a few years back myself, and they still works fine today....think I bought them on amazon. 

However, whether we're surfing or wakeboarding I never use the power wedge anymore.  I have the boat dialed in with enough ballast that the wedge is not required.  

The wedge would help with shaping but always needed adjustment to dial in the wave.

With my aftermarket sacks/tanks, I just fill them up and I'm good to go every time without any tinkering.....The wedge always seems to require adjustment.

For surfing....with two people in the boat...I totally load up the MLS...about 1200lbs between the 4 stock tanks....plus an extra 350lbs under the seats on each side of the boat from the driver back, plus an extra 9000lbs in each locker. I use a mission style wakeshaper as well.

If my wedge stopped working again, I would probably not fix it.

We're doing almost the same, full MLS, 750's in the rear full with a slight lean to the surf side, additional 250 pounds upfront when the crew is light.  Frankly, the wave is just as good without the wedge and the boat runs smoother.