Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 monsoon hard restart

So my 07 Vlx has trouble restarting after its run for awhile and sits for 10 min. Is there a check valve in the pump. Im guessing it’s losing fuel pressure. Had a Jeep do the same thing. 760 hrs

Vapor lock crossed my mind. It is getting worse every yr. Used to be 1 long turn of the key, then 2 turns of the key and now 3 turns of the key. If I run it then shut it down it starts fine within the first few minutes. After sitting 10 min or so is when I have the 3 turns of the key to make it start.

To rule in or out Vapor lock.  Next time it happens take a rag and soak it in the ice water from  your cooler.  Then lay it on the fuel pump for a couple of minutes.  If the boat then starts right up, I'd put money on vapor lock and go ahead and buy the low pressure booster fuel pump and be done with it.  If the cold rag doesn't solve it, probably a different problem.  

Edited by blk93jeepzj
wording

Oops, my bad, on my 04 the fuel pump is mounted on the block, forgot that at some in the late 2000's that they moved it to inside the tank.  

Well that may just rule that out then, unless the lines are getting too warm and causing the vapor lock.  Could try cooling the fuel lines down with a cold rag and if that works add some insulation around the lines. 

6 hours ago, badluck said:

Vapor lock crossed my mind. It is getting worse every yr. Used to be 1 long turn of the key, then 2 turns of the key and now 3 turns of the key. If I run it then shut it down it starts fine within the first few minutes. After sitting 10 min or so is when I have the 3 turns of the key to make it start.

Check the fuel pressure at Key on and at idle 

Low battery voltage (or voltage at ECM) will cause the same condition.  It's sorta like vapor lock in that it won't restart after running for a while, but not like vapor lock at all in that when it does fire it'll run like a champ, whereas if it's vapor locked it'll stumble and cough and run rough for a few seconds.  

1 hour ago, badluck said:

Did a key on fuel pressure test last night. Goes to 60psi and immediately bleeds off.

Most likely a bad FPR.

Least likely, fuel injectors leaking down.

• Like 2