Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil filter size - Oil Type - 2018 6.0 Response

What size filter goes on my 2018 6.0 Response TXi? It has a Mobile M1-301A on it now from the dealer when they did the 20 hour service, wanting to put the best WIX filter on it when I change the oil at 70 hrs.  The M1-301A does not bring up anything when I do a search on the WIX site.

I was planning to put Mobile 1 15W-40 back in it but see the dealer used Mobile Delvac but don't see the weight they used? Suggestions?

Thanks

From what I have now found it looks like I need the WIX 51515XP oil filter.

When the dealer did my 20 hr service they noted they used 5W-40 Mobil Delvac Synthetic but I just called them and they said what they actually used was probably conventional 15W-40. Now I'm not sure what oil to use???

Any of these should work:

• PCM R077001
  • Mobile 1 301
  • Amsoil EA026
  • K&N HP-3001
  • Mercury 35-802886T
  • WIX 51515XP
  • Napa Gold 1515
  • Motor Craft FL-1A

I use a M1-301, but have read that the FL-1A is supposed to be a very good filter as well.

For oil I'm using Amsoil 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine.   

Edited by mlange

I read somewhere that 15W-40 Conventional oil is equal to 5W-40 Full Synthetic. I think it was on the Rotella website.

I had a hard time finding 15W-40 Full Synthetic. Has anyone else heard that?

@scotchipman:  The Wix application chart notes the filter you tag fits Chrysler and Mazda, so simply verify it is what you want (I am not sure if you have a standard filter or a remote mount that may take a different filter, it is simply all about the thread pitch and gasket diameter as far as fitting goes).  What ever filter, I like to get the larger version, simply use the specs in the filter selection menu and cross reference it, Wix is a very good filter (there are basically 2/3 versions across all the brands) .  From an application for vehicles, use a pickup truck as your guide, they tend to put the bigger filters on them compared to a car which tends to have size limitations.  The reality is not that big a deal since we as a group tend to change the oil and filter at a pretty high frequency or very low 'miles' in car terms and we run in a very clean environment.

As for oil, don't sweat the dino oil in your boat now, it will help break in the rings anyway.  At you next swap, I would recommend going synthetic and use the weight suggestion in the manual.  It does kind of depend on your use.  What I mean by that is really how cold / warm you operate the boat, for those of us in the northern climes that will persevere until the water is solid, a lower viscosity oil for start up is not a bad idea, if you run in very hot conditions,  low viz is not a big issue.  In reality, this topic tends to be overthought as there are many excellent options out there.  More good info on the bob the oil guy website.

• Like 1