Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu boat engine sound

Sebyy

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Gavin17 said:

I haven't been on a carb'd BU but I do prefer the sound of my EFI monsoon 340 (5.7 GM) to the raptor engines. 

All of the GM offerings over the years sound better then the raptors. 

• Like 1

Going to be more dependent on the exhaust than the engine. Given the same exhaust, the older small block based GM's are tough to beat. Higher compression the better, so the Hammerheads are nice if you like that growly sound. I know mine is way too loud though, it isn't pleasant sitting in the far back of the boat for a long period and at throttle she'll echo across the water.

@Sebyy:  Can also depend on the exhaust setup of which there have been different options.  I will say that mid 00's Malibu's tend to have less restrictive exhaust systems compared to other tourney boats and if you like the rumble of a small block that is great as @Michigan boarder noted.  If you have one and ski early am, the neighbors may not be as impressed.  A nicely modded small block sounds really nice, up the compression ratio, add a slight cam, tune the exhaust and it is music.

For not making enemies, the sound of the GM 350 dumping into the Silent-Rider V-drive muffler is pretty nice.  So is the Crusader-powered 2015 and 2016 Response TXi setup with the down-turned tips.  Anything to equalize out the exhaust pulses of alternating cylinder banks firing helps a lot.

Edited by UWSkier
23 hours ago, Falko said:

Going to be more dependent on the exhaust than the engine. Given the same exhaust, the older small block based GM's are tough to beat. Higher compression the better, so the Hammerheads are nice if you like that growly sound. I know mine is way too loud though, it isn't pleasant sitting in the far back of the boat for a long period and at throttle she'll echo across the water.

FAE will fix that.  STE tips would help if you didn't want to invest in a FAE.

1 hour ago, justgary said:

I have been very pleased since I switched from flappers to STE tips.  No more loud popping sound, just the low, even moan. 

Wouldn't happen to have video you could post of what they sound like underway?

Hmmmm.  I'll see what I can dig up, but in the meantime here's a link to a post with a short clip from a cell phone in the wind.  39 MPH.