Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 24 MXZ PNP Ballast

crod

Selling a 2015 X46 and may be pulling the trigger on a 2018 24 MXZ and have read and heard a lot about the PNP option that’s available.  2 questions:

1.  What’s the most weight you can put in the lockers in addition to the hard tanks.  Don’t want any bags out and want to maximize the PNP.

2.  Is the surf wave going to be comparable or better than a 2018 25 LSV?  My buddy has one and it’s really good but I believe it has a different hull than the MxZ??

Appreciate the feedback!

9 minutes ago, crod said:

Selling a 2015 X46 and may be pulling the trigger on a 2018 24 MXZ and have read and heard a lot about the PNP option that’s available.  2 questions:

1.  What’s the most weight you can put in the lockers in addition to the hard tanks.  Don’t want any bags out and want to maximize the PNP.

2.  Is the surf wave going to be comparable or better than a 2018 25 LSV?  My buddy has one and it’s really good but I believe it has a different hull than the MxZ??

Appreciate the feedback!

With the new, larger capacity “saddlebag” hard tanks in the rear, 550’s are about the max. 

Wave is MONEY on both of these boats. The hulls really aren’t that different. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, crod said:

Appreciate the feedback!

Fat Sac has a 650 option PNP, which is what I am going with on my 2019 24 MXZ. More is better right?

http://www.fatsac.com/custom-sacs.php

29 minutes ago, Chappy said:

Fat Sac has a 650 option PNP, which is what I am going with on my 2019 24 MXZ. More is better right?

More can be better but as you add more in the rear lockers you’ll also have to add bow weight to compensate for the extra weight and get the bow down. Which is fine, since the wave should be bigger with the extra displacement but it’s a trade off that causes folks to get on here and complain about not being able to plane out their >100k boat.

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...
On 7/8/2018 at 5:17 PM, Chappy said:

Are the 650 bags the ones you ended up going with? Does it help at all to throw some lead up in the anchor storage going this route over the 550 bags? Just curious how you or anyone else has been weighting the newer mxz. 

Actually the dealer accidentlly ordered the 550's and I was heading out of town for two weeks with the boat so I just kept them and they have been fine.  In fact, if I have a small crew I can't fill them all the way or I need to add bow weight.  Besides occasional bow weight I haven't needed any more than the tanks and PNP. I have the 450 engine and if I get to back heavy the bow rises and the rpms increase

On 4/5/2019 at 8:26 PM, Chappy said:

Actually the dealer accidentlly ordered the 550's and I was heading out of town for two weeks with the boat so I just kept them and they have been fine.  In fact, if I have a small crew I can't fill them all the way or I need to add bow weight.  Besides occasional bow weight I haven't needed any more than the tanks and PNP. I have the 450 engine and if I get to back heavy the bow rises and the rpms increase

Do you feel like the wave gets better going full in the rear and adding some bow weight? If so, how much weight did you put up there when you have added it? I know it’s a little different, but I was on an 18 A24 for a short time last year and while the wave was really tall, it seemed short. I didn’t really have the time to mess with it as it wasn’t my boat. I didn’t know if it was an issue of needing more bow weight or speed or what the case might have been. I have a little bit of lead, but didn’t know if I should try to get a little more before my boat gets here so I have everything I need.  Going to be late May before my boat comes in. When it gets here I want to be ready to go!!

Side note: a couple of the guys with 25 LSV have been talking about their boats leaning to the starboard side while underway. Have you @Chappy or any others with the 24 MXZ noticed this? I assume since they run the same size prop it’d be similar, but wasn’t sure. 

18 hours ago, cptotr said:

Do you feel like the wave gets better going full in the rear and adding some bow weight? If so, how much weight did you put up there when you have added it? I know it’s a little different, but I was on an 18 A24 for a short time last year and while the wave was really tall, it seemed short. I didn’t really have the time to mess with it as it wasn’t my boat. I didn’t know if it was an issue of needing more bow weight or speed or what the case might have been. I have a little bit of lead, but didn’t know if I should try to get a little more before my boat gets here so I have everything I need.  Going to be late May before my boat comes in. When it gets here I want to be ready to go!!

Side note: a couple of the guys with 25 LSV have been talking about their boats leaning to the starboard side while underway. Have you @Chappy or any others with the 24 MXZ noticed this? I assume since they run the same size prop it’d be similar, but wasn’t sure. 

Speed and and bow weight do help lengthen the wave, I tend to prefer a steeper shorter wave in general though.  Nice thing about Bu's are you have so many ways to fine tune the wave to your liking!

Woman in the 2nd pic is about 5' 4" for comparison. I have had no issues with the boat listing!

IMG_1772001 (002).jpg

IMG_1519001.jpg

Edited by Chappy
  • Like 2