Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does newer boat equal bigger wave?

Imracin68j

I've got a 2008 VLX I really like.  My buddy has a 2011 mxz.  He thinks the VLX wave is better.  I've thought about getting a newer boat for a better wave but the one I have feels good and looks like most of the waves I've seen.  Is it worth the money for a bigger wave or will there be one? Here's the wave I ran this weekend. 

2008 VLX
Boat Ballasts - All Full
700 RR - 900 - RR 250 RR seat - 900 front
2315 prop - Swell wake gate. 
Wedge down 
Speed 11.2

Edited by Imracin68j

Not bigger, I had a pretty big wave on my old boat but we upgraded for two reasons:

Wave shape - our new boat's wave has a more defined lip and just looks more like a surf wave.  Old wave was more just a giant swell of water.

Setup time - we have a toddler and a newborn and it's a fight to get surf time in.  No more messing around with extra bags or ghetto gates.  Boat is usually ready to surf by the time we get to our spot. With the old boat we wasted about an hour of babysitter freedom setting up tearing down ballast. 

Edited by vanamp

The newer boats don't require any bags? What boat were you on before?

Edited by Imracin68j
15 minutes ago, Imracin68j said:

The newer boats don't require any bags? What boat were you on before?

Depends on your definition of bags. Do you mean exposed bags sitting on the floor or seats? No, although some people like adding bow sacks or lead. Do you mean pnp in the rear lockers? Yes, still require adding pnp bags on Malibu’s and Axis. Some boats (g23) are putting out great waves with just sub floor, but most are still using some form of plug and play. 

Short answer yes. 

But let’s break this down a bit. Your 2008 is going to put out a pretty darn good wave when properly dialed and pushed to its potential. These new boats are definitely going to be way way better, the lips are more defined and the push is extraordinary.  Not trying to make any assumptions but being assuming you aren’t a pro surfer no it’s not needed. But of course everyone wants a new fancy boat, no denying that. 

I am not a surfer or boarder but as a advanced skier I often look at the new ski tugs and after a moment of truthful thinking I still have my very good old boat.  Are you being held back from doing you best?  Or could it be working with your skills take you to the next level without a new boat. Now if you want a new boat well have at it. I do know the wrong equipment can hold someone back. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sixball said:

I am not a surfer or boarder but as a advanced skier I often look at the new ski tugs and after a moment of truthful thinking I still have my very good old boat.  Are you being held back from doing you best?  Or could it be working with your skills take you to the next level without a new boat. Now if you want a new boat well have at it. I do know the wrong equipment can hold someone back. 

I think surfing is a different animal.  Old ski boat, new ski boat, both were built with skiing in mind.  Old wake boats were not built with surfing in mind or it was way down on the list of priorities.  

I'm sure some old boats throw nice waves but there are probably some that are terrible. 

Alice in chains. Nice. Echoing all of the above, one other thing to consider is the weight of your old boat to the eight of a new one.  Also ballast capacity.  I am a firm believer of maximum displacement. You wave looks good but if your new tug  + ballast weighs +3-4000# than your present ride (boat wt+ballast wt) the difference in waves will be huge.

Having just gone from a 2008 23LSV to a 2018 23LSV, I would say  the new boats can definitely put out bigger waves for the weight and higher freeboard mentioned above. The 2018 with about 800 lbs. of PNP on top of stock puts out a much bigger surf wave than our 2008 did with 2000-3000 lbs on top of stock tanks. 

I would still be happy with my old wave and it looks like you're having a ball on your current setup so life is great either way you go. However, we really do love the new wave, PW2 and surfgate on the 2018 so it's been a great move for us.