Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wisconsin Malibu Dealer of Choice and Why?

Norsman

I am new to Malibu and am looking for a reliable dealer for my break in service and winterization this fall. I purchased my 22 VLX from Munson's in Fontana... (great experience). I am in Stevens Point (central Wisconsin) and my options are as follows:

1) Minnesota Inboard in Minneapolis.

2) Shipyard marine in Green Bay.

3) American Marine in Shawano.

4) Skipperbuds in Madison?... rather not, wasn't very pleased with my Four Winns service.

5) Munson Marine in IL... a 3 and 1/2 drive... arg.

6) Ryden Marine in Minocqua. 

Can you share any experiences, recommendations or have any warnings?

i-n262NLn-M.jpg

Bought mine from Munson and it's been a good experience.

Might want to give Plowmans in Woodriff a call and see can do the service.  They use to carry Malibu a few years ago and likely still service the ones they sold.  My dad bought his deck boat from them years ago (like 15 years ago) and had all service done there - he had positive experiences.

Have used both Plowmans and Shipyard. Both good. You might also try Badger Marine in Nekoosa. They used to be a dealer too. Dale there taught me how to winterize an engine in 2002.

Doesn't look like Badger is Malibu dealer. Mixed comments on Badger. Dale always treated the ski team well.

Shipyard would be my first choice. I"m in Fremont/New London area dealt with them when I was in charge of boats for a ski team. Actually I made the switch to them, from Badger. They have an Oshkosh location too.

Is your boat still under warranty?  If you engine is Indmar, you could also go to Fort Fremont in Fremont.  No matter who you go with, start a good relationship with them, it will pay off versus just a drop off and pick up relationship.  (hope this makes sense)

16 hours ago, footndale said:

Doesn't look like Badger is Malibu dealer. Mixed comments on Badger. Dale always treated the ski team well.

Shipyard would be my first choice. I"m in Fremont/New London area dealt with them when I was in charge of boats for a ski team. Actually I made the switch to them, from Badger. They have an Oshkosh location too.

Is your boat still under warranty?  If you engine is Indmar, you could also go to Fort Fremont in Fremont.  No matter who you go with, start a good relationship with them, it will pay off versus just a drop off and pick up relationship.  (hope this makes sense)

Yes, boat is new under warranty. I was thinking of having Munson Marine do the break in service and I like your idea of Fremont marine for service going forward (only 45 minutes away) but would they be okay working on a Malibu (yes, its an Indmar). I just do not want to have to tow my boat three plus hours to Munson twice a year. 

One of my biggest frustrations with dealers is that you can't make an appointment, you just leave your boat outside for 2-3 weeks until they get to it... (Skippers in Oshkosh, M&J Marine... even the John Deere dealer).

16 hours ago, footndale said:

On 7/7/2018 at 6:34 AM, foxriverat said:

Sounds like Malibu Mike treated you well

Yes he did, great buying experience.

One thing I didn't like was that the new boat was a little weathered from sitting outside for nearly a year... cover faded, stained, wheel lug nuts rusted, trailer wheel and crank lift rusted, some rust on the trailer as if they towed it in salt.

On 7/7/2018 at 8:03 AM, chrisnorem said:

Munson Ski and Marine now has a sales location in Fontana next to Lake Geneva as well.  Excellent dealership.  

The Fontana location doesn't do service. They tow your boat to the Illinois dealer for you... both of which are a 3 plus hour drive for me unfortunately.

23 hours ago, Norsman said:

Yes, boat is new under warranty. I was thinking of having Munson Marine do the break in service and I like your idea of Fremont marine for service going forward (only 45 minutes away) but would they be okay working on a Malibu (yes, its an Indmar). I just do not want to have to tow my boat three plus hours to Munson twice a year. 

One of my biggest frustrations with dealers is that you can't make an appointment, you just leave your boat outside for 2-3 weeks until they get to it... (Skippers in Oshkosh, M&J Marine... even the John Deere dealer).

They have no problem working on other boats. Just don't expect warranty work on the Malibu. They might on the engine, but not sure how that always works out. Give Jeff Thompson a call there.

You could always just change the oil yourself. Pretty much the break in service. Just keep receipts for oil and filter.

I would strongly recommend Next Gen in Clear Lake Wisconsin. Make sure you ask for Aaron. He is their head mechanic and an awesome guy. I make a special effort to go there as they stand behind their work and dont charge an arm and a leg. I like the head of MN inboards service department I just feel you dont get the same service that you get from a smaller shop like Next Gen. MN inboards prices are crazy, but if you can charge them and people are lining up why not!

Ryden Marine. I had a 2012 23 LSV and just purchased a 2018 23 LSV and had a great experience.Also prior to this purchase they serviced my 12

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:34 PM, DAI said:

Bought mine from Munson and it's been a good experience.

Might want to give Plowmans in Woodriff a call and see can do the service.  They use to carry Malibu a few years ago and likely still service the ones they sold.  My dad bought his deck boat from them years ago (like 15 years ago) and had all service done there - he had positive experiences.

I called Plowman's last fall for some diagnostic work and was told they had no interest in working on Malibu's any more and no longer had any of the diagnostic tools.

On 7/9/2018 at 12:41 PM, Skidooski said:

Ryden Marine. I had a 2012 23 LSV and just purchased a 2018 23 LSV and had a great experience.Also prior to this purchase they serviced my 12

Do you know if they keep a well stocked parts department?  I'd love to know there was a place close to Minocqua that offered spare props and other vacation saver parts.

I have had pretty good luck with skipperbuds madison.  You have to kind of keep on them but they get back to you and work pretty hard to get you back out on the water.  Ask for Brandon in service.

On 7/10/2018 at 9:21 PM, onwi said:

Do you know if they keep a well stocked parts department?  I'd love to know there was a place close to Minocqua that offered spare props and other vacation saver parts.

As you may or may not know they had just signed with Malibu in the fall and it is a work in progress as anything is . I f you are in the area stop by and check them out.

On 7/10/2018 at 9:36 PM, 2h20fn said:

What about Tinus in Oconomowoc?  I have had good service from them.

I like Tinus.  They've always done good work for me and did their best to meet any vacation schedule I had.  They gave me feedback on a boat I was going to buy out of area (holdover) and did warranty work with no questions asked.  Good people.

7 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

As you may or may not know they had just signed with Malibu in the fall and it is a work in progress as anything is . I f you are in the area stop by and check them out.

I actually just got back and didn't know they were the new dealer up there until I was driving by on my way home.  Did a double take on the beautiful MXZ parked out front.

The service at Tinus is pretty good and I think their labor rate is on the higher side but not the highest in the area. They will treat you well if you establish a good relationship with them. For example: A ski family on the local lake bought 2 boats from them. The latest is a '16 Response LXR. It had some engine issues under warranty, so it is currently being worked on at Tinus. Tinus is letting this family "Demo" a new Response TXi until their boat is ready to be picked up. It does benefit greatly to have good relations with your dealer.

We have taken our boat to Skipper Bud's in Pewaukee for most of our service because the turnaround time is usually faster. This location is a Tige and Mastercraft dealer technically.