Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 Extreme trailer - spare wheel?

1984ta

We've had our boat for a little over a year and it didn't come with a spare wheel/tire, only the mount on the trailer. It's a 2007 VTX on an Extreme trailer so I'm assuming the trailer is the same year? We tow to the lake (200+ miles each direction) 8-10 times a year and I'm starting to get very paranoid about a blow out with the stories I've read about Carlisle tires. I've found the tires online but I'm having problems locating the wheels.

What I need to know is where can I get a spare wheel?  I've left messages for Extreme but I'm not getting any replies from them.  Are there any other sources that I'm just not aware of?

I feel like my luck is running out and I don't want to chance it any more...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

wheel.jpg

Pull into any tire shop and they will be able to get you a cheap rim and tire for a spare. Im assuming yours is under the trailer like our 2009 VLX trailer? If so, it wont matter how ugly that rim is if it is hidden all the time.

P.S: keep an eye on those axles. We just had a torsion axle fail on us. After talking with UPF Dexter they said they would replace both ours for free since some of the axles used between '06-'09 were faulty over time.

1 hour ago, Bozboat said:

Does it have to match or can you live with a spare under a cover until needed?

Guess it wouldn't have to match - never thought about throwing a cover over it.

50 minutes ago, Heard said:

Pull into any tire shop and they will be able to get you a cheap rim and tire for a spare. Im assuming yours is under the trailer like our 2009 VLX trailer? If so, it wont matter how ugly that rim is if it is hidden all the time.

P.S: keep an eye on those axles. We just had a torsion axle fail on us. After talking with UPF Dexter they said they would replace both ours for free since some of the axles used between '06-'09 were faulty over time.

It's not underneath unfortunately that's why I wanted the same wheel but I think I'll do what Bozboat said and look for any wheel and cover it up.

What happened to your axle and what do I need to look for?  I'm clueless when it comes to the axles on the trailer...

you could find a matching or close matching trailer wheel online,  look for a standard 14 inch chrome platted steel wheel.  One like this might work.   I found one locally that was a white steel wheel and just painted it black and put a black cover over it.  

Trailers have axles with leaf springs or with a torsion suspension.   Here is some information on each type.

Also, check the date on your tires to see how old they are.  If over 5 years old, you are really pushing it.

How to check the date:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a4047/how-old-are-your-tires-15441034/

There are several tire threads on here as to which tire is best. I just ordered 4 Kenda's from here after having my 6 year old tire blow out on the way to the lake:

https://simpletire.com/kenda-st205-75r14-09r031427d1-tires

On 7/6/2018 at 10:49 AM, 1984ta said:

Guess it wouldn't have to match - never thought about throwing a cover over it.

It's not underneath unfortunately that's why I wanted the same wheel but I think I'll do what Bozboat said and look for any wheel and cover it up.

What happened to your axle and what do I need to look for?  I'm clueless when it comes to the axles on the trailer...

I noticed our tire getting pretty close to the fender (about on inch away). We hit a small rut in our boat launch and the torsion axle rotated inside a 1/4 turn and stuck up. Its not a common thing but UPF Dexter did say it was happening to axles in our years of trailers. Just keep an eye on things. Thankfully our boat launch is only 100ft away from our storage at our campground so removing the fender so we can limp it to and from the launch is easy to continue using the boat until our new axles get shipped and I can install them. I think the previous owner wasn't pulling the trailer level and always had too much drop on his hitch which caused more weight to always be put on the front axle. IF it does happen to you (hopefully it never does) PM me and I can send you everything you need to put a claim in and get new axles :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 2:38 PM, jwl019 said:

Also, check the date on your tires to see how old they are.  If over 5 years old, you are really pushing it.

How to check the date:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a4047/how-old-are-your-tires-15441034/

There are several tire threads on here as to which tire is best. I just ordered 4 Kenda's from here after having my 6 year old tire blow out on the way to the lake:

https://simpletire.com/kenda-st205-75r14-09r031427d1-tires

After checking the dates on the tires I became extremely nervous about my setup - one tire was from 2005 and the other three tires were from 2004.

Last night at a friends shop I replaced all 4 and put one of the old tires on a matching rim I found for a spare.  The originals looked extremely good yet which surprised me, no checking on the side walls and over half the tread left. Still I feel better about towing 200+ miles tomorrow with the new ones on...

Think it's worth putting the old ones on CL or do I just add them to the other old tires I have holding the tarp on the wood pile?

1 hour ago, 1984ta said:

After checking the dates on the tires I became extremely nervous about my setup - one tire was from 2005 and the other three tires were from 2004.

Last night at a friends shop I replaced all 4 and put one of the old tires on a matching rim I found for a spare.  The originals looked extremely good yet which surprised me, no checking on the side walls and over half the tread left. Still I feel better about towing 200+ miles tomorrow with the new ones on...

Think it's worth putting the old ones on CL or do I just add them to the other old tires I have holding the tarp on the wood pile?

Throw them up on CL.

• 5 months later...
On 7/27/2018 at 9:19 AM, 1984ta said:

I'm looking for that exact same wheel! Were you able to find the same one or did you just get something similar? From the research I've done, it was made by Carlisle Wheel back in the day and they called it the Soft 7, but it's long since been discontinued. It's a 14x7. I've been to every boat dealer here in town (Kelowna BC Canada) and come up with nothing. I've scoured the net and also nothing. I was hoping to find someone with an extra one kicking around that wanted to sell it. I got side-swiped back in September by a guy in large delivery van. He switched lanes and didn't notice that I was towing the boat. He hit the fender and shredded the wheel/tire, ripped the board rack off and bent the axle. Luckily I had an identical spare, but now I'm trying to find a replacement for it. I will go with something generic if I can't find the Soft 7 but figured I would look first. If anyone has one, please let me know. 

This thread is a winner. 

You're in the top 10% of everyone that trailers for even considering having a spare, and in the top 5% for proactively replacing tires before shredding one on the highway.  Good on you!

Every day I see overloaded dump trailers... 10-30k lb rigs, running around on weather checked and/or bald trailer tires.  The truck towing them always has a new monster lift and tires.  Priorities, man.  

Edited by Pra4sno
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry, haven't been on for quite a while.  

cmvse - what I found was close enough for what I needed which was just a spare.  It was a soft 7 that was only 6" wide vs the ones that came on the trailer which are 7" I believe.  I actually didn't realize it until the night I went to put the new tires on the trailer.  Still works for a spare which I just ended up needing 2 weekends ago when one of my tires blew out on the interstate. I looked back at old emails and I ordered it from Shadow Trailers (found them online) but it looks like they no longer carry that wheel.

37 minutes ago, 1984ta said:

Sorry, haven't been on for quite a while.  

cmvse - what I found was close enough for what I needed which was just a spare.  It was a soft 7 that was only 6" wide vs the ones that came on the trailer which are 7" I believe.  I actually didn't realize it until the night I went to put the new tires on the trailer.  Still works for a spare which I just ended up needing 2 weekends ago when one of my tires blew out on the interstate. I looked back at old emails and I ordered it from Shadow Trailers (found them online) but it looks like they no longer carry that wheel.

Bummer you only got ~3 years on those tires before a failure. What brand did you go with?

10 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Bummer you only got ~3 years on those tires before a failure. What brand did you go with?

Carlisle is what I put on, which is what was on the trailer originally.  I was kind of surprised myself that one blew after only 3 years. 

Now I get to try and find a replacement fender since when it blew it ruined the one that was on the trailer.  Extreme said they're out of stock for at least the next 3 months so I guess I'll take it off and try to straighten it.  Hopefully over winter I can find a replacement.